Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by griesl View Post
    My beloved 1.0 double WBBB scraped a concrete patio and endured a small tear in both layers, which quickly developed into a large tear in the outer layer. So, I need to replace it for sure.

Question is, should I get a double 1.1 or single 1.7? I'm a backpacker, so weight is of a concern. The 1.7 single is 1 oz heavier, but that's not enough to rule it out. Is this just a matter of preference, and if so, why would a person prefer a single over a double or vice versa? Oh, also, I'm 6,1 190lb, and I use an UQ, so slipping a pad inbetween the layers isn't important. Thanks for the input.
    A single weighs less, but from my understanding, not by much. The bigger difference is are you going to use a pad or UQ. If you put your pad in a single layer, it shifts around as you move. I have an ENO and I find myself getting a cold shoulder in the night when the pad has moved by me turning or shifting. If you're using a UQ then you could go for the 1.1 single. If you really want to cut weight and don't need the mosquito netting, get the Traveler.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY!!!
    Insulation
    No Sniv & Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Great input everyone, thanks, keep it coming. I use an UQ, so no need to for the double in that regard. When I asked Brandon, he seemed to be nudging me in the direction of the 1.1 double, but he said the 1.7 would also be a good choice. Sounds like past that, it's personal preference. I've pretty much ruled out the the 1.1 single, because it sounds like I'm on the upper end of that weight limit, and I might get the shoulder squeeze. The 1.1 dl sounds like i t would be very similar to what I'm used to with the 1.0 dl, which I leaned toward because of the ability to use my thermarest. But since now I use a UQ, I thought that would free me up to go to a 1.7 single. So would you guys all agree that it's personal preference, and if so, what is it that you like about the singles vs. the doubles and vice versa. Thanks.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post
    Caught soon enough I think it would be, depends on how big the tear is. However, if you are starting out a new season and aren't having to stretch a dollar, might as well get a new set of tires on that ride.

Experience would tell the full story and I just don't have enough but judging from some of these serious hiker folks, I think thye're thinking better new then a failed repair in the field.
    I'll say you're abolutely right -- all of you -- and PM the OP immediately with a $ offer for the current bag of torn rags he's holding.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Don't ask me, I got a 1.1d and a 1.7d coming and I'll have to try them both out to tell the difference. The biggest that I could see right off is the color.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY!!!
    Insulation
    No Sniv & Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    I'll say you're abolutely right -- all of you -- and PM the OP immediately with a $ offer for the current bag of torn rags he's holding.
    Dude, too soon to be referring to my beloved hammock as a bag of torn rags. Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass on selling. if I don't attempt a repair and give to my 9 year old son, then I'll probably take it apart so I can make a pattern to make my own. Once apart, I'll also probably attach the bugscreen to my diy. Many possibilities.

Hammock
    Gnome 1.5sl, WBBB 1.1dl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies

Blackbird choice

I think you have narrowed it down to the correct two birds. I own both and am 200# so it's pretty close. I noted that Brandon's weight for the (new?) 1.1 dl is less than the older version which I apparently own. My weights include dynaglide whoopies in place of stock suspension, metolius mini (but full strength) biners, and tree straps but no stakes as they are in my tarp bag. My 1.1dl comes in at 28.5 oz complete with supplied bishop bag. The 1.7sl comes in at 25.5 oz complete. I can say that so far as overall comfort is concerned I prefer the 1.1dl. Either way you can't go wrong. Hope this helps...Bush

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Take it up with Mr. Clean.

I was going to disagree, in fact I already had, but he persuaded me that putting one's own child in a torn hammock might be something you'd no more do than put him in a car on which you'd worn-out the tires and which had other threats to safety and failure in the field.

Its called irony mr. griesl, outside consumption communities.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY!!!
    Insulation
    No Sniv & Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BushMedic View Post
    I think you have narrowed it down to the correct two birds. I own both and am 200# so it's pretty close. I noted that Brandon's weight for the (new?) 1.1 dl is less than the older version which I apparently own. My weights include dynaglide whoopies in place of stock suspension, metolius mini (but full strength) biners, and tree straps but no stakes as they are in my tarp bag. My 1.1dl comes in at 28.5 oz complete with supplied bishop bag. The 1.7sl comes in at 25.5 oz complete. I can say that so far as overall comfort is concerned I prefer the 1.1dl. Either way you can't go wrong. Hope this helps...Bush
    Helps alot to hear from someone who has tried both. Thanks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I prefer the double layer all year round particularly in winter when I use a partial UQ. I have a 1.1 dbl and a 1.7 dbl WBBB and do find a bit more shoulder squeeze in the 1.1. My next hammock will be either a 1.7 single or a 1.1 dbl traveler for winter use. The 1.7 single is lighter then the 1.1 dbl but I know its a tough choice. Ive been contemplating which one to get for quite a long time.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    If you think that you'd ever use a pad, for any reason what so ever, get the double layer.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast