Cool Howdy from Northern California

Howdy ya'll! First a little info. I'm a 30 yr old dude out in Northern California(right in the middle of the valley).

Honestly I can't tell ya how i got the urge for info on hammocking, it must have sparked from my interest in bushcraft and the such.

Anyhow, a little while back, I tried to make a hammock. My wife gracious donated the old curtains (she got new ones) and proceeded to make a gathered end hammock. Made it double layered (the fabric was thick cotton cloth, about like denim). The darned thing was wayyyyyyyy to short. I am 6'1" and i'm pretty sure the fabric was only around 7' or so. Well, after a couple nights in it, PLOP! right onto the ground ( i should have known better, considering they had been hanging on the sunny window for a few years). Thankfully it was time for me to wake up anyway.

So with a dreary heart I headed back home and made a stab at another hammock. I bought some 1.9 oz ripstop nylon from Joann's Fabrics and set off on a journey to build me a better hammock.

Got the thing all sewn up. It's a gathered ender, single layer of 1.9oz ripstop, about 8' long after all the hemming and channels (i still think a little longer would be good). Suspension include 6' tubular webbing(rated at 4000lbs, I know, GEEZ) attached to that are 6' whoopie slings, which were made from 1200lb single braid cord (not amsteel, but i couldn't find amsteel at my local surplus/camping store), the other end of the whoopie attached to the end of the hammock.

Have been testing it out off and on today at home here and am quite thrilled with it. Although a little long would be cool, I still love it. Seems to hold my 180lb frame just fine even being single layered.

Next up for it is a bug net, that should be interesting. I have seen some stuff about sewing it to the hammock, which is what i probably will do, but it looks like it involves funky angles and shapes. Oh well, I'll make sense of it at some point.

Nice to meet you all. Special thanks to Grizz for the great videos on the suspension systems. They were a HUGE help!!!!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Welcome from the central valley! Funny, your first hammock sounds a lot like mine--a queen sized bedsheet tied with a sheetbend. I'm 6'4", and my feet stuck out over the top knot. It was horrible, but still better than being on the ground. Then I found the forum (insert angelic choir music here). It's been awesome.

+1 on the Grizz suspension vids--they are a blessing to those of us trying to figure the whole suspension maze out. Looks like you are well on your way

Again, welcome to the forum. Hope to hear all about your future hangs!
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Mass.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Welcome to the HF from Canada! A longer hammock would be great - a perfect second project. I'm about 5'9" and my diy will be just under 11'.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym Zip, Eno double nest
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    HH, tree huggers
    welcome to Hf and Grizz videos are way cool, good luck on the bug netting and as always HaPpy Hanging.

• + New Posts