Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Size for a homemade hammock

I am thinking of making a homemade hammock this weekend using Jeff's "W" Whipping technique. I am 5'9". I have a couple of question on the fabric.

1. What type of fabric do you recommend?

2. How much fabric should I buy?

3. What should the length and width be before I tie the ends?

I know your probably going to say it depends on me. But could you give me something to go with on this. It is my first time and I can always change it for the next one, but I need to get the first one done before I play with modifying the next one.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I am thinking of making a homemade hammock this weekend using Jeff's "W" Whipping technique. I am 5'9". I have a couple of question on the fabric.

1. What type of fabric do you recommend?

2. How much fabric should I buy?

3. What should the length and width be before I tie the ends?

I know your probably going to say it depends on me. But could you give me something to go with on this. It is my first time and I can always change it for the next one, but I need to get the first one done before I play with modifying the next one.
    I just made my first Speer type It was a lot of fun, and I THINK it might be more comfy than my HH, so....

I got some 1.9 oz. ripstop for $1/yd. at Walmart. At that price, I just bought a whole bolt - about 15 yds. I cut the hammock to 10 ft. long by 50 inches wide, then hemmed all four edges. For one this size, you'd really only need four yards. I whipped the ends as per Jeff's "W-style" instructions, and it's worked out really well! I need to adjust the whipping a little because the side hems are a little too loose, but no biggie.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    I'm 5-11 and I have found 10 feet of material to be the most comfortable also. Instead of whipping I just use zip ties! Its much quicker and lighter than whipping. And if you need to adjust the side pull on the fabric you can just clip them, adjust, and install a couple more.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkwater View Post
    I'm 5-11 and I have found 10 feet of material to be the most comfortable also. Instead of whipping I just use zip ties! Its much quicker and lighter than whipping. And if you need to adjust the side pull on the fabric you can just clip them, adjust, and install a couple more.
    I remember a couple of people saying they used zip ties, but I wasn't sure how well that would work when I built mine. I guess I thought you needed the bulk of the whipping cord to form a "stop" for the suspension loop? It seemed like a zip tie wouldn't keep the suspension from sliding off the end of the hammock as well...?
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    I always hem the fabric around the edge when I make them. The bulk of the hem keeps everything on.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Generally, a bigger (longer and wider) hammock is more comfortable b/c it lets you lay flatter. I'm 5'10" and have found that 9'-10' is the right length, and probably 50"-55" is the right width.

The 63" wide ones (bolt width minus hems) are very comfortable, but they tend to restrict my vision too much when I'm inside, and the ~50" are good enough and weigh less.

My latest DownHammock is 116"x54" hemmed...it's about right...maybe the next one will be 110"x55", I think.

I'd say to get whatever ~1.9oz material Walmart has and make a full width one first...just easier b/c it's one less long cut. Play around with it and see how you like it, then start trimming the width away for your next models. It's nice to keep a full width one around so you don't forget what it's like when you try out a 48" wide one...compare them side by side until you get your dimensions settled.

Ripstop nylon is a great fabric and Walmart usually has some (the ones I go to do, at least), but really anything will work if it's strong enough.

It's $1/yd, so get the whole bolt! But if you really only want one hammock, 3.5 yards will be enough.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I did it. I made my first hammock today. I went to my local Wal-Mart and could not find any rip stop nylon. So I went to a couple local fabric stores until I found some. The rip stop I found was camo too so that was awesome. They sold it by the year and by the pound. I bought two sheets which and that is enough to make two hammocks and it cost me only $9. I was anxious to get home and start putting it together.

I did as Jeff recommend and made my first one 10 feet in length and I did not dare to change the width of the fabric until I knew I could get one made that worked the first time. I did Jeff’s Whipping technique and then put some rope on the end and tied her up. The rope started sliding off one end and it stopped at the whipping and the whipping also started to slide off, but it finally tightened up and stopped sliding,

I did make one mistake on the first one and made it inside out, but who cares. I can always take it apart and fix it now that I know I can do it. The width of the hammock is also too wide because I left it the full width, but what the heck it was my first one and I just wanted to see if I could do it. The hammock works great. I even laid in it after it was done and took a quick nap. Now I can start doing some experimenting. This is going to be fun.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    Careful!!! You'll end up with a dozen by the end of the week The wide ones are nice to lay crossways. ENJOY!!!

Hammock
    Hennesy ULBA
    Tarp
    Macat D
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveler
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I did it. I made my first hammock today. I went to my local Wal-Mart and could not find any rip stop nylon. So I went to a couple local fabric stores until I found some. The rip stop I found was camo too so that was awesome. They sold it by the year and by the pound. I bought two sheets which and that is enough to make two hammocks and it cost me only $9. I was anxious to get home and start putting it together.

I did as Jeff recommend and made my first one 10 feet in length and I did not dare to change the width of the fabric until I knew I could get one made that worked the first time. I did Jeff’s Whipping technique and then put some rope on the end and tied her up. The rope started sliding off one end and it stopped at the whipping and the whipping also started to slide off, but it finally tightened up and stopped sliding,

I did make one mistake on the first one and made it inside out, but who cares. I can always take it apart and fix it now that I know I can do it. The width of the hammock is also too wide because I left it the full width, but what the heck it was my first one and I just wanted to see if I could do it. The hammock works great. I even laid in it after it was done and took a quick nap. Now I can start doing some experimenting. This is going to be fun.
    It's all over now. Might as well admit it your way past saving now
    A Bad Day On The Trail Is Better Than A Great Day At Work!!!

-.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Oh man - you've had it now. Designs are gonna be swimming around your head forever now. Enjoy your newfound lunacy.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast