Where is everyone backpacking to over Christmas or New Yrs

My original plans for New Yrs got shot down. Now I have two trips that I am looking at. One is at Big South Fork doing part of the Sheltowee Trace Trail. The other trip (don't laugh ) is Mt Rogers. We would be going from Massie Gap back to Damascus. If I go on that one I would have completed the AT from Hwy 603 (Fox Creek) back to Damascus.

what plans do the rest of you have?

Christmas - solo hike in SNP - 1 nighter
    New Years - Springer Mtn. with a bunch of hammockers and ATers
    in between - trail maintenance in Slickrock area clearing some blowdown

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    don`t have any plans yet, but i`d like to get out for one or two nights on new years weekend mabey.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Unfortunatly no plans here. I am probibly going to work 6 days a week (minus the Campout weekend) until I stop work for my hike to build up some funds.

Looks like nothing but day hikes, backyard tests, and the ocasional overnight until March. But then again I will have 6 months worth of nights then.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Slowhike, have you thought about the Springer trip over new years? I'm considering it...kinda depends on a couple of things though. I don't know how well I'll be cold-prepared by then, and I don't know how easily I can get away with two trips in the same month (since I'm going to Rogers) My wife understands, but doesn't like me to be gone for days at a time...
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Slowhike, have you thought about the Springer trip over new years? I'm considering it...kinda depends on a couple of things though. I don't know how well I'll be cold-prepared by then, and I don't know how easily I can get away with two trips in the same month (since I'm going to Rogers) My wife understands, but doesn't like me to be gone for days at a time...
    i went to springer last new years, but it`s a long drive... almost like a days work, just to get there. and then back home.
    i hate to say it when some of these guys are driving so far to get to mt rogers, but i really hate driving more than maybe 3 & 1/2 hrs for one night, unless it`s a really special event (like this groups 1st cold campout).
    when i drove to springer last year, i made the mistake of taking 85 toward atlanta, then turned north to get to springer.
    the last stretch was over an hour on a gravel mt road. it took about 8 hrs driving time to get there.
    on the way back i followed ed speer & karen north up through the mountains to I40. that was better, but it still took about 6 hrs driving time.
    i parked in a large parking area about a 1/4 mile walk from the springer shelter.
    it`s really more like an outdoor party & since i left my partying behind more than 20 years ago, it`s just not worth it for me<g>.
    but i may go somewhere closer for one or two nights, like linville gorge.
    i`d be glad to share a campsite w/ you. i`m just not into long hikes (foot troubles), but if you wanted to see more you could always do day hikes.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images

springer new years

Things just came together. Brian, from the hammock Camping forum, and I will car pool up Friday, camp Saturday and Sunday and return sometime Monday.

Everybody who is going, bring some extra. This is my first backpacking excursion and my first hammock excursion off the back porch. I'm sure I'll forget lots of stuff. Coffee and food won't be one of the things, though.

CYA

Tom

Hammock
    DIY zHammock / WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad
    Caladonia SP to Brich Run Shelter, and back via Chamersburg Resivor. Nice little 20 mi loop in southern Pa.
    NREMT-B, WEMT
    CPR goes up and down, up and down......because my patient's dead.
    Hanger Fromally Known as Ghost93.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest &amp; DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Can't get out during the holidays but right after...Jan. 5-7: 30 miles on the Florida National Scenic Trail through Eglin AFB from US 331 to SR 285. Hunting season closes on the base for 2 weekends so it should be safe to go then.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

If any one wants to get out I will be at Pickett State Park Friday. Sat morning a few of us are heading out on the Hidden Passage Trail towards Rock Creek where we will camp Sat night. Sun we will hike towards Hemlock Grove and hike out Monday to Peters Mountain Trailhead

• + New Posts