buying WBBB + superfly. read cool study today

This is my first post to the forum. I decided to get a Blackbird and superfly for my outdoor adventures (hiking, canoe trips, and a little bike touring) Looking forward to not sleeping on the ground! I tried out a friends eno for a long nap and was amazed at how easy it was to sleep. My concern for all night sleeping is that I turn a lot during the night (side, back, front sleeping, fetal) I use a body pillow in bed which helps me get support in various positions. The thing that appeals to me with the blackbird is the size and apparent comfort in a few different positions.

Anyway, I found this study today:

http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...esearch-proves

Pretty good press for hammock sleeping eh?

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    I toss and turn in a bed too. I don't in a hammock. Do yourself a major favor, buy or make a DIY hammock, hang it in your house and give it a try there. No, I'm not suggesting you don't by the Warbonnet parts, get those on order too, but replace that stupid bed that is causing you so much discomfort and SLEEP for a change. My biggest problem that I'm having with a hammock now is, I'm up in 4 or 5 hours. No, it's not that 'I gotta get up because I can't keep comfortable thing' I've laid there for quite a while, even swapped sides and turned on the TV. I'm just not tired anymore and can get up and do things.

Pitch that bed and get some rest. Oh, and before you ask the next question that always seems to follow the getting rid of the bed question shows up, use the search function it's been asked before, but basically the answer is, yes you can.

OH, and Welcome to the forum. Plenty of info here other then just hammocks but we do do hammocks well. Make sure and check out Shug's Hammock howto's on Youtube. Tell you things he will.

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    I can't sleep in a bed any more(because of a back injury), exactly because of the tossing and turning. In my hammocks, i find "the sweet spot" and can lie in pretty much the same position all night.
    Before i found out that hammocks was the solution for me - i had 2 miserable years with literally no deep sleep(i would wake up every time i tried to turn or the missus turned approx. every 20 - 30 min and had to get out of bed and walk around for a while, before trying to sleep again) and believe me, i was ready for the loney bin!

So go ahead and try it at home. The worst that can happen, is that it don't work out - but at least you tried then....
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

I have a hanging bed in the porch at my family lake house. It gently sways in the wind and is a great place to nap. It just hangs from chains attached 10 feet up on the ceiling rafters.

I find my tossing and turning does not really interfere with getting sleep, it just means my sleeping surface has to be comfortable in many different positions. Curious to see whether I can stay in one place in a hammock.

What is the opinion on underquilts during the summer? Probably not needed if you have a decent foam pad? Would rather not drop the extra 2 bills for an underquilt until I know I am a dedicated hanger. I have spent enough on sleeping bags over the years

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Don't worry about the tossing and turning at night.........you won't in the WBBB. I do the same as you and find that I can sleep comfortably on my back through the night, well atleast I can until I have my nightly nature watering session!!!!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Quote Originally Posted by gregord View Post
    What is the opinion on underquilts during the summer? Probably not needed if you have a decent foam pad? Would rather not drop the extra 2 bills for an underquilt until I know I am a dedicated hanger. I have spent enough on sleeping bags over the years

Ahhhh, now there IS a question. How warm do you sleep?

The general consensus is that somewhere in the 70's folks start to get cold. Unlike a regular bed that totally insulates one side of you a Hammock does not. That's where the UQ comes in, or the pad. However, I'm comfortable in my hammock when the room is in the mid 50's with an insulated blanket over me. In my room however I don't have a breeze blowing around me. That will make a difference. Presently I have a fan blowing air conditioning under me, the temp out of the vent is in the low 70's, maybe lower, while my room is in the upper 70's at least. In the morning when the room temps are down I sometimes throw the blanket on. I'm wearing light shorts and a tank top, in winter I have long sleep pants and a heavy T. So it will really depend on the temps you experience when you're camping and I don't know what those are in Wisonsin. You CAN make you're own Frankenquilt out of an old OR a cheaper Walmart sleeping bag. Instructions are in the DIY section of this website. Not as fancy, light and cool as a boughten unit BUT it will get you through the cool periods till you can afford a fancier UQ if you need it.

You're own personal experience will be the judge of what temps YOU are comfortable at. Ed Speer wrote his book camping with a pad. UQ's are more comfortable and more expensive and more newer.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by gregord View Post
    gregord, welcome to the HFs.

Start out with a double layer WBBB and get a Wallyworld blue CCF for $10. Should keep you warm down to the 50*s on bottom. Put it between the layers so it doesn't slide around. You'll want something between you & it, like a sleeping bag. I got sweaty on bottom in the 60*s.

When you really decide to go for it, get a UQ.

Thanks rodwolfy and MrClean417 for the good advice. I am going to go the pad route and hope temps don't drop below 50 on my first trip. If I get a chance I will be testing the gear beforehand as any goo camper should.

• + New Posts