HH expedition asym
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Fabric stores

I'm looking to get some more fabric for hammock making. I hope to get it cheap and without expensive shipping. I recently got some for about $7 a yard in my area(the Raleigh-Cary area of North Carolina) but don't want to spend that much again. All help will be very appreciated.

Hammock
    DIY whipped end
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Watch for coupons, JoAnn's will have 40-50% off coupons in the Sunday paper, or you can sign up for their emails (it can take some time to start getting them though). Unfortunately, the coupons only work on non-sale items and "utility fabrics" seem to be on sale somewhat often.

Hammock
    DIY HH clone sorta
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10ish mess
    Insulation
    DIY Primaloft UQ
    Suspension
    DIY straps w/whoop
    Images
    Have you tried www.diygearsupply.com? Shipping is relatively cheap and prices are outstanding. I've been using him for my last few projects. Fast friendly service.
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Hancock Fabrics usually has Ripstop for around $5/yd normal price and sometimes on sale as low as $2.50/yd and I know we have those locally.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Joannes ripstop Weight?

I've been in my local joannes and asked the ladies about the ripstop and they can never tell me if it is 1.9 oz or not....it is about $7 per yard normally, do you think this is the right material for a hammock project/ Thanks for any info.

jim

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Fabric weight is of little interest to fabric store clerks. They are concerned with garment or craft type projects which are not weight sensitive. From what I have heard, the ripstop in Joannes is 1.9 or 70D fabric. The only way to know for sure is to weigh it yourself. In any event lots of folks have used Joannes ripstop for hammocks and have had no problems. Watch for coupons. They will often have sales that can lower the cost of their fabric significantly.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Fabric weight is of little interest to fabric store clerks. They are concerned with garment or craft type projects which are not weight sensitive. From what I have heard, the ripstop in Joannes is 1.9 or 70D fabric. The only way to know for sure is to weigh it yourself. In any event lots of folks have used Joannes ripstop for hammocks and have had no problems. Watch for coupons. They will often have sales that can lower the cost of their fabric significantly.
    What he said. I've made several hammocks out of Joann's material.. don't buy without a coupon!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

thanks

Thanks rev and sawyer for the quick reply. I did buy some a few months ago when I was teaching myself to sew the material. As nice as the clerks are they really don't spend too much time with old geezers going in and asking questions. But I will look for coupons as you say.

Jim

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jima59 View Post
    As nice as the clerks are they really don't spend too much time with old geezers going in and asking questions.
    Don't sell them short. The clerks are generally not used to having men come in and be serious shoppers. Most of the time men go in with their wife and hang in the corners trying to look inconspicuous. My suggestion is to learn some of the lingo and ask questions they _can_ answer. "Would you show me where the polyester taffeta is...." "I'm looking for Guttermann's polyester thread... what have you got?" Most of the clerks I've worked with have been very attentive once they find out I am there to buy and I know what I am talking about.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Don't sell them short. The clerks are generally not used to having men come in and be serious shoppers. Most of the time men go in with their wife and hang in the corners trying to look inconspicuous. My suggestion is to learn some of the lingo and ask questions they _can_ answer. "Would you show me where the polyester taffeta is...." "I'm looking for Guttermann's polyester thread... what have you got?" Most of the clerks I've worked with have been very attentive once they find out I am there to buy and I know what I am talking about.
    I could not agree more. When I go in to Joann's now, the clerks all get giddy and want to hear about what I am working on now. They think it is totally kewel that a man has a thread injection bug and is making gear. Someday, I may take a hammock in to show them. Hmmmm, where could I suspend it in the store?
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast