Hanging around Haiti

Just got back from Haiti on a trip with a team to rebuild a church/school. When I was there in early April last year one of the guys that went with us brought a Hammock at that point I decided I needed to get one and have used it camping and such ever since.

This trip three of us brought hammocks and although we were staying at a very nice place it was much cooler outside when there was a breeze it was downright comfortable. When it is 80 degrees or more at night it is hard to get comfortable but the hammock really helps.

Here are a few pictures of our set up.

My set up: ENO Double nest, Hammock Bliss Cocoon, Whoopie Slings. I also bought a Thermarest neck pillow for this trip. It was perfect for the hammock.

Hammock Bliss Single and Cocoon

Hammock Bliss Single and Standard Mosquito net

Here is a little video (click the picture) from one of the mornings. In Haiti they need a rooster reeducation program this is about 5:00 in the morning but it is nothing for them to start going like this at 3:30AM.

Last edited by Meathook; 06-25-2011 at 13:15.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    Good for you for volinteering like that. Thanks for posting the pictures and the trip report.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

One thing I did learn was if the bugs are bad you need to put on bug spray even inside the bug net. If you lean a body part up against the net they will still get you. I might try some tie outs next time just to keep the sides spread a little wider than the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Way to go on helping out in Haiti. Amazing that you found a hotel where each of you could hang a hammock.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

It is actually a very nice (way nicer than we expected) rental house not a hotel so we had a little more leeway. The missionaries we were working with were living there and for months have been hosting fairly large (10-12 people) groups sometimes multiple groups like ours on week long rebuilding projects. We didn't know before we left if we would be able to hang so this was a real blessing. I felt bad for the people sleeping inside. Even with fans it was just too hot.

There are actually two identical (but in reverse) houses in the compound the other is housing three guys who do police work for the UN. Two were from China and one from Yemen, nice guys. The day we left we helped the missionaries move out they are heading to a new house outside of Port Au Prince.

Someone really needs to invent an extremely light portable hammock stand that you can bring anywhere. So no matter where you go you have have a way to hang. I know, I know wishful thinking.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Kudos to you Meathook!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven