Tarp
    DIY sil 10X12 camo
    Insulation
    Dwn SB/dwn DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Vagabond View Post
    I made a 11'x10' tarp last year and I love it!! I made mine a simple rectangle and it works great for me. Def. do the ridgeline first. I put in a lot of tie-outs for versatility, so that is an option for you. TAKE YOUR TIME AND REALIZE YOU MAY SEW MULTIPLE LAYERS TOGETHERS. Just remove the stitches and be more careful. You will love the results!
    The first (and only) tarp I have made I did sew multiple layers together, but I made mine out of regular 1.1 oz and then used DIY sil on it so the holes from those mistakes didn't matter. I think that could have been avoided by taking my time a little more and making sure everything was laid out good before sewing each time! But I believe...YOU CAN DO IT!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    This is great, thanks a lot of the encouraging replies. Because of that I have decided I am going to give it a go when I get back from backpacking in the Pine Barrens the next few days.

I'll make sure to start on the ridge line. What did you guys use to seal it up? Some sort of special tape and seam sealer I believe? I remember seeing it on a video but forget what video it was from >.<

Thanks again!

DP
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I will also make sure to post some pictures of the aftermath of my first attempt, no matter how it comes out lol.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl / Gathered End with SRL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Synth UQ &amp; Alpkit
    Suspension
    Homemade whoopies
    Hey DP - that's great news!

I'll be really interested in seeing how you get on with this, as you asked some of the questions that I wanted to ask.

Particularly interested in how everyone gets the seams to stay still whilst they are sewn as I didn't think pins would be good for the waterproofing.

Neil
    "Every day's a school day!"

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No See Um
    Tarp
    Walmart Special
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings!
    Images
    Using a warm iron, bunches of pins, and sealing it AFTER it is sewn will all help the first one go a bit easier. Also, this is your mom's machine. Ask her to teach you how to use it. Then do something you detest - LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER!! - LOL seriously though, if she has used the machine much, she can give you lots of pointers about the best way to get it to do what you want it to. She can also help get all the seams to look as good as they can.

Take you time, don't be afraid to rip part of it out and redo it if it is all screwed up, and remember this - when you are done, you made it. Be proud of that as much as anything else. You will be fine. If you have the guts to start, the rest is easy.
    Help a Boy Scout Troop in your area - become a mentor.

God created Firemen so cops would have heros.

Images
    And whatever you do, DON'T show it to someone who has poor social skills and thinks they could sew for a living. They will point out all the flaws and suggest about $5K worth of accessories you should have used to make it better.

Remember, we're making GEAR here, not sewing pretty stuff.

#LFMF

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl / Gathered End with SRL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Synth UQ &amp; Alpkit
    Suspension
    Homemade whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by OneEye View Post
    And whatever you do, DON'T show it to someone who has poor social skills and thinks they could sew for a living. They will point out all the flaws and suggest about $5K worth of accessories you should have used to make it better.

Remember, we're making GEAR here, not sewing pretty stuff.

#LFMF

funny stuff! all too true, I want my hardest critic to be me
    "Every day's a school day!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    This is great, thanks a lot of the encouraging replies. Because of that I have decided I am going to give it a go when I get back from backpacking in the Pine Barrens the next few days.

I'll make sure to start on the ridge line. What did you guys use to seal it up? Some sort of special tape and seam sealer I believe? I remember seeing it on a video but forget what video it was from >.<

Thanks again!

DP
    Go for it! You're getting good advice in this thread. Sealing is best with silicone caulk thinned with solvent or flowable windshield sealant (no tape involved). More on that later.

By coincidence. I have just started making a 10' x 10' silnylon tarp. I'll take some photos as I finish the flat-fell main seam today, so you can see one approach. We can compare notes on our projects. (Mine may proceed slowly, as I have 4 days in which to move the 15 truckloads of firewood I bought in an auction Saturday. )

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    In another thread Pedro mentioned using a stapler instead of pinning for the edge hems. He uses the alternate position on the stapler bottom plate so the points of the staple bend outwards instead of towards each other.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    15 truckloads of wood. My, good luck there! I really appreciate the photos! I will be heading out for a bit to do some hanging in the Pine Barrens. When I get back I will start the project up and be sure to share some notes/frustrations/cries for help.

Thanks for the flowable windshield sealant suggestions. Found some at Pep Boys for 5 bucks. Now for a grommet tool...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast