Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Senior Member DemostiX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Posts
    2,337
    Images
    13

    How to seal nylon fabric edges?

    Annoying threads may be all, where there was some loose work on the rolled edge inside some pockets.

    How should I stop the 1/4" of 2oz dwr nylon fabric from coming apart before it reaches the seam inside some pockets?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Oh-No's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Smyrna, DE
    Hammock
    various homemade Speer type
    Tarp
    10' X 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    CCfoam, Down quilt
    Suspension
    various
    Posts
    437
    Images
    9
    I trim the long loose threads, then use a lighter, carefully.

  3. #3
    in it for the naps oldgringo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    onrope buckle
    Posts
    6,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh-No View Post
    I trim the long loose threads, then use a lighter, carefully.
    Very carefully. As in, close, but don't touch. Practice on scraps.
    Dave

    http://www.uark.edu/misc/xtimber/rna/pattonsbluff.html

    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.
    John Steinbeck

  4. #4
    Senior Member chickenwing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Abbeville, SC
    Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,333
    Images
    90
    I like using a soldering iron with a fine tip and set to a hot setting to cut thru the nylon and seal the edges at the same time. Works like a charm.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

    "In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

    DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

  5. #5
    Senior Member DemostiX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Posts
    2,337
    Images
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
    I like using a soldering iron with a fine tip and set to a hot setting to cut thru the nylon and seal the edges at the same time. Works like a charm.
    Thanks, the soldering iron sounds less risky. I didn't know if it got hot enough, but a $5 pencil seems a good bet. Once I have the tool, I'm sure I'll find some cordura in paniers to clean up, too.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Posts
    4,452
    Images
    17
    lighter. CreativeKayt has a good demo on one of her hammock vids. The flame does not need to touch the cloth. Get heat close enough to cause it to fuse together on the edges. Practice on scraps. Can also cut with a hot knife.

  7. #7
    Senior Member DemostiX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Posts
    2,337
    Images
    13
    nothermark: I'm cleaning up insides of pockets; not easy to introduce a lighter.

    Chickenwing:
    And that's a nice straightforward video showing your BIL how to hang the hammock you made him for his birthday. And how to take it down and repack it.

    What works so well is that there's no fuss about the "cool stuff" No element gets introduced except as and when needed; so the whole hang, adjustment, lay, and take down is very clean. Good script. Good editing. Makes the case for every part of the advanced lightweight kit, while never treating any of it as other than a working part.

    • The Bishop's bag ,
    • the tree straps,
    • marling spike hitch with toggles,
    • whoopie slings at both ends,
    • ridge line with adjustment by whoopie,
    • and ridge-line organizer
    .

    Nice bug net.

    Good work, too, by the camera operator. But, she didn't zoom in on that note on the bag that reads:
    "Are both tree straps here?"


    A fine gift and as good a how-to-use-video as is out there.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Ramblinrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Milton, PA
    Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Posts
    7,872
    Images
    101
    I use a candle flame when needed. That way I don't have to control a lighter that gets real hot. Just make sure the wick stays trimmed real short. You just need a small amount of heat.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

    "Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

    We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

    Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

    Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

  9. #9
    Senior Member chickenwing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Abbeville, SC
    Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,333
    Images
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    nothermark: I'm cleaning up insides of pockets; not easy to introduce a lighter.

    Chickenwing:
    And that's a nice straightforward video showing your BIL how to hang the hammock you made him for his birthday. And how to take it down and repack it.

    What works so well is that there's no fuss about the "cool stuff" No element gets introduced except as and when needed; so the whole hang, adjustment, lay, and take down is very clean. Good script. Good editing. Makes the case for every part of the advanced lightweight kit, while never treating any of it as other than a working part.

    • The Bishop's bag ,
    • the tree straps,
    • marling spike hitch with toggles,
    • whoopie slings at both ends,
    • ridge line with adjustment by whoopie,
    • and ridge-line organizer

    .

    Nice bug net.

    Good work, too, by the camera operator. But, she didn't zoom in on that note on the bag that reads:
    "Are both tree straps here?"


    A fine gift and as good a how-to-use-video as is out there.
    awww shucks, I'm blushing. thanks for the kind words.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

    "In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

    DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    12'x12'
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Strps cinch buckle
    Posts
    184
    Xacto, makes Soldering Iron with a Hot Knife Tip. A soldering iron with a fine point will do the same thing. If you plug it into a rheostat, like a router speed controller, you can control the temperature to get the edge to seal without worries about it going up in flames.

Similar Threads

  1. FS: Ripstop Nylon Fabric
    By XTrekker in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-03-2013, 21:45
  2. Nylon Fabric (not ripstop)
    By Thunderchi1d in forum Fabrics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-17-2012, 09:56
  3. WTB: SOG SEAL Pup straight edge Ti-Ni w/ Nylon sheath
    By Just Jeff in forum Want to Buy
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-25-2010, 10:32
  4. What do you use to seam seal spinn fabric?
    By HappyCamper in forum Weather Protection
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-13-2010, 08:25
  5. Nylon Fabric Deals
    By rach08 in forum Fabrics
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 02-17-2008, 14:38

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •