Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
    I will be taking my technician license test on August 7. I'm ready, both for the test and to get on the air. My local amateur radio club will help me select starter equipment, and I hope to be calling "CQ" really soon.

- Navigator
    Good luck with your exam. I'd suggest if you're feeling very comfortable with the Technician material that you spend some time looking over General as well. When you pass Tech you can take the General for free (covered under the original fee). You only have to pay again if you fail. So if you're prepared you could go from no license to Extra for one fee.

Glad to hear you're already connected with a local club. Hopefully you'll find plenty of elmers to mentor you in your new hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Awesome. Nice BBQ!! The radio looks nice too, though I know nothing about them! I recently met two women who are part of a local radio club and they were showing me their set-ups. They were having a mini-field day at a local park. It was interesting, and I may look into it amateur radio myself.
    The IC-7000 is an awesome rig. I have three HF radios right now. The others are a IC-718 which only does HF (the 7000 does everything) and a hybrid (solid state/tube) Kenwood TS-520S.

Amateur radio can be a fascinating hobby. Especially if you like to experiment. I'm in the process of building a small (probably mount it in an Altoids tin) radio so I can make Morse code contacts from the trail while hiking. You can talk to the Intl Space Station and bounce signals off satellites and even the moon.

I haven't updated my list in a while but here are some of the more interesting places I've talked to:

Azerbaijan
    Canary Is.
    Svalbard
    Martinique
    Slovenia
    Kaliningrad

A while back a girl selling door-to-door stopped by. She had an accent so I asked where she was from. She told me Estonia and I'd actually just talked to a station there. One of the books she was selling was an encyclopedia so she spent some time with me teaching me about her country. That was pretty cool.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym Zip, Eno double nest
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    HH, tree huggers
    Saweet setup Callsign here KI4UBV 73s and HapPy Hanging!

Images

Got my ticket!

Quote Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
    I will be taking my technician license test on August 7. I'm ready, both for the test and to get on the air. My local amateur radio club will help me select starter equipment, and I hope to be calling "CQ" really soon.
    Well, I took and passed both Technician (element 1) and General (element 2) Tests today. I'm very excited! I won't receive a call sign for at least a week, but once I do I plan to get on the air via Echolink and through my Elmer's gear. Looking forward to figuring out how to combine lightweight backpacking, hammocking and ham radio into single fun-filled mega-hobby.

- Navigator

Hammock
    Simply Light Design 10' netless
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape
    Thanks for sharing the trip and the photos. Last field day I had in FL was while in FIT 1982. Yikes that was a long time ago. That view from the hammock of that huge grill looks great. Especially if your friend is doing the cooking.

73 es gud luck in the contest
    http://www.stc-hike.org/ Susquehannock Trail Club web site - PA STS trail info

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Congrats Navigator! Thought I'd already said that but looks like I was mistaken. Have you gotten on the air yet? Next weekend I'll be sitting on top of a 100' tower finally putting the antennas on it for my friend. I put the tower up for him last Sept and it's taken this long to get around to finishing the antennas.

Hobbit, you need to dust the cobwebs off. We had a guy that hadn't been active in years and he spent hours working CW. He was like a kid in a candy store. And yes, my friend did all the cooking.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    Congrats Navigator! Thought I'd already said that but looks like I was mistaken. Have you gotten on the air yet?
    Thanks! Not on the air yet, but just got my FCC-issued callsign today: KK4DPO. Yuk. I immediately applied for a vanity callsign... We'll see if I get it.

In any case, I should be lurking on Echolink tomorrow and on 2 meters within a couple of days.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I feel your pain. I got tired of repeating my assigned call so quickly replaced it.

Hopefully you'll be doing Echolink via RF.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA

Hammock
    Switch back 1.9
    Tarp
    Lawson HexaLite
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Looks like a great set. 73's on the test.
    KE6GRW Russ
    "The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection."
    Thomas Paine

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Looks like we have more hams than I expected around here.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12