Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Fast up and fast pack of Clark standard w. integrated fly /tarp

I am looking for illustrations of setup options and suggestions for procedures for fast and non-fiddly setup and take down of the Clark hammock with integrated or attached Clark tarp / fly. Not the NX series, which have wholly detached flys.

While I'm not likely to change it, pointers to substitution of a non-Clark tarp / fly might be useful to me or others. Clark's own largest tarp on hand does not appear to be configured to integrate with the "standard" line of Clark hammocks. I'm sure I can figure something, but I'll respect experience and sorting out of what doesn't work.

Not previously noted: There is a lot of tailoring in the smaller Clark tarps. They must be expensive to produce. Anybody know the history of the beak / peak over the foot end?

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Not all of the CJH NX models have a detached tarp. The NX-200 hammock has an attached tarp. I have used this hammock with several different models of tarps from my Backwoods DayDreamer Winter Dream tarp to the OES MacCat Ultra that I use now. The way that I do this is to use some lengths of shockcord from the ridgeline tie-out points down to the factory CJH attachment points with nite-eyez S beiners. This suspends the bugnet/weathershield and allows the normal use of the hammock. I hope this answers your questions, sorry no illistrations, if you need some let me know and I will try to pm them to you.......
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Clark NX-250/NX-270/NA/NX-200
    Tarp
    HG 8x10 cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    I am looking for illustrations of setup options and suggestions for procedures for fast and non-fiddly setup and take down of the Clark hammock with integrated or attached Clark tarp / fly. Not the NX series, which have wholly detached flys.

While I'm not likely to change it, pointers to substitution of a non-Clark tarp / fly might be useful to me or others. Clark's own largest tarp on hand does not appear to be configured to integrate with the "standard" line of Clark hammocks. I'm sure I can figure something, but I'll respect experience and sorting out of what doesn't work.

Not previously noted: There is a lot of tailoring in the smaller Clark tarps. They must be expensive to produce. Anybody know the history of the beak / peak over the foot end?
    I have the Clark North American with the attached tarp/fly and I can have it set up in just a couple of minutes. I have pics in my profile that may give you the answers you are looking for. There are also some close ups of how everything attaches. I plan on doing a video also showing how quick the set up is, I just havent got around to doing it yet because it has been raining just about every day here.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Excellent set of pics. And a configuration I haven't seen before. If you are up to aumenting the set, just a few more of the connection points would be helpful, for example of the busy area above the user's nose, where Clark has 3 potential tightouts, one connected to a fixed ribbon

What parts stay connected together when you knock this down? What is the order of setup?

There appears to be more independence of the tarp and bug netting, and a sophisticated rigging. Does this configuration permit you to adjust the fly and hammock independently, without shortening of the virtual ridgeline upsetting the tautness and centering of the tarp over the hammock? Did you adjust the connections of the tarp to the main line and the the bug net once, and then freeze the connection points, thereafter only adjusting the main line through the drip rings?

I'll certainly compare what you've done to the Tropical 2 I am now playing with

Which tarp is that?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG 8x10 cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Everything stays connected, I just undo the lines from the drip rings and stuff everything in a stuff sack. This is how it came from the factory so basicly I got it in the mail ready to go. The rain fly that I got is the standard, I didnt have the extra cash to upgrade. One thing that I am going to do though is put a loop of shock cord on each of the 6 tieout points of the rain fly to keep it taught once I get in the hammock. As soon as I get a clear day without rain I will make a video of how quick it goes up and how everything is together.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    What is going on with the rigging in your pics #1, 8, 11, and 14? What is holding the bungee cords fast to the the main suspension rope? It is as though there are prusics there or mid-line loops or attached rings.

Also, in other pics, it appears that your tarp ridgeline is acting as a structural ridgeline, in that the main suspension ropes appear not to go straight to the trees from the hammock ends without a bend where the tarp tie out, or bungee intercepts it. None of this is made clear by illustrations or text in the Clark manual, or by photos I have found at this or other web sites.

Clark owners who have put up their hammocks just the way they are supplied out of the box, as you say you have, seem to be taking a sophisticated rigging for granted.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG 8x10 cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    They have a zip tie end on the main line and the bungee is tied just above it so the zip tie is what is keeping the bungee in place. With the way that the tarp is on the bungee as soon as I get in the hammock and add weight the main line straightens. I hope this makes sence..

Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    What is going on with the rigging in your pics #1, 8, 11, and 14? What is holding the bungee cords fast to the the main suspension rope? It is as though there are prusics there or mid-line loops or attached rings.

Also, in other pics, it appears that your tarp ridgeline is acting as a structural ridgeline, in that the main suspension ropes appear not to go straight to the trees from the hammock ends without a bend where the tarp tie out, or bungee intercepts it. None of this is made clear by illustrations or text in the Clark manual, or by photos I have found at this or other web sites.

Clark owners who have put up their hammocks just the way they are supplied out of the box, as you say you have, seem to be taking a sophisticated rigging for granted.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Have you considered making a set of

"snakeskins"? I don't think there is any quicker way to stow a hammock & tarp.

Jim

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Ah, the unauthorized zip tie that makes the whole shebang look mysterious. Thanks.

Yes, snake skins, Bishop bag or equivalent are good. I am practicing with tough discarded stockings as a snake skin for the tarp, which I have liked to put up first: That answers the threat of rain, and shelters me during it, and never offers surprises in what needs to be mostly right right out of the bag.

The assemblage of bungees, ribbons, and unfamiliar attachment points for the Clark Tropical -- same issues with a North American -- had me not believe that I wanted to leave them attached to one another.

Also, I'm used to my tarp being wet in the AM, for example. So I have been happy to pack it separately, instead of undoing the whole kit later to dry the tarp. The hammock always gets packed dry.

I'm asking some of these questions because I'm looking for good practices particular to the hammock. I will hang and take down the NX with its independent fly as quickly as I have before.But, use various suspension systems, and it can be hard for me to recall which one I am going to find when I open the kit, and get it all up quickly, correctly, and without further fuss.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 06-29-2011 at 14:59.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG 8x10 cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Even with the way everything is together on the Clark's you can still unclip the tarp if you want and pack it seperate. The bungee stays on the main line so when you went to put it back up all you would have to do is clip the tarp back on.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast