Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I sew 4 elastic loops at the hem and attach the UQ to them. Never a problem since.
    Hmmm, sounds interesting. Can you provide more info and pics.

I find UQs to have a huge fiddle factor if they're not differentially cut, but even then too tight is better than too loose.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Ok, just got back inside from my first backyard hang with my new AHE Jarbridge river. 3/4 length, 42 inches wide. The temps got down to 54 and I was warm and slept well. I did, however, have a ton of problems trying to dial in the fit of the quilt. I got pretty much constant left shoulder slip. I tried to remedy with an improvised s-biner "triangle thingy" idea, clipping an s biner to the top of the quilt suspension lines, which basically moved the attachment points a little like a triangle thingy. (Thanks for the idea ducalion http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=31449). It seemed to help some, but I only had one "s" biner and one regular, so it didn't hold real well.

Ok, here are the many thoughts running through my head this morning about the problem. Looking for input.

1. Style of hammock. I have a Hennessy Expedition, bottom entry. Beginner hammock. The tie outs seemed to want to make the quilt lines gravitate toward the middle, and not stay up on the sides. I had to unstake the tie outs to even give it a chance, but that left my hammock narrow and crowded. (I am probably headed to a wbbb, so this might just be an excuse I made up to get the new one.) (I am also realizing that bottom entry is a pain with an underquilt because you have to "sit over" the edge to get in, and can't reach out to adjust)

2. The cut of the Jarbridge River. It is only 42 inches wide. Maybe this makes it tougher to stay on the shoulders. I am not a very big guy, 5'11", 170, but I have broad shoulders. I don't want buyers regret and to think I should have gone to a wider, full length quilt, but it seems a possibility.

3. Absence of true triangle thingys. I might soon be placing an order, but wanted to make sure you all thought they would really make a difference. If I use them, or rig an alternative, do I slightly loosen the end channel tension? I seems like this would make the ends of the quilt "wider" and therefore not put so much inward tension on the shoulder area.

I was looking for some wise advice on these and all things underquilt related. I am heading out tomorrow for a real overnight in the piney woods. I think I will be ok, even with slippage, but it is bugging me. Thanks!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Hmmm, sounds interesting. Can you provide more info and pics.

I find UQs to have a huge fiddle factor if they're not differentially cut, but even then too tight is better than too loose.
    I generally use the JRB quilt suspension so I already have carabiners at all 4 corners. I then sew 1/4 inch wide elastic loops where the corners of the quilt land. I rarely use the one at the left knee because of laying on the asym it really isn't needed. The one on the right shoulder is about 4 inches long on the BB because it is a wide hammock. The left shoulder and right knee is about 1 inch loop. I set the shock cord on the ends of the quilt loose enough that when I am in the hammock the quilt is snug against the bottom especially on my back. The quilt can't move and because the top left and bottom right ones are shorter it holds it at the same angle as i lie. The elastic makes it more forgiving.

This works well for my BB, HH and diy hammocks. On my BB I have loops for 3/4 and for full a length UQ.

I never fiddle anymore and there is never a gap right between the shoulders like I use to have.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Thanks Dutch. Will probably give that a try.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I have a HH Exped, wbbb, TtoT SB and they all work the same.
    So OutandBack, which one is your favorite -go to hammock? What about UQ???

Images
    See new thread on "The Fiddle Factor Factor". ( started to post it here, but don't want to hijack.)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    I've been less active on the forum lately so I missed this thread when it was started but I just wanted to chime in and say I've had the same experience with my 3/4 quilt(s). It's frustrating because when I can get it adjusted without gaps it's nice and toasty but I find myself battling gaps particularly around my legs that send cold air up my backside. I've tried adjusting the suspension several different ways and managed to improve things but never got it quite right.

I haven't messed with it since I got my WBBB last January. This may be heresy around here, but I actually switched to using an inflatable pad since it was more consistent and easier for me to set up with the DL hammock I will give the UQs a try again this fall/winter when it's cold enough to test properly and see how it goes.

-Jay

Hammock
    WB Traveller Dbl 1.7
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I generally use the JRB quilt suspension so I already have carabiners at all 4 corners. I then sew 1/4 inch wide elastic loops where the corners of the quilt land.
    Just read this - if I understand you correctly, you're using the elastic loops sewn to the hammock hem to attach the underquilt directly to the hammock instead of using the shock cord to the ridgeline or gathered end, is that right?
    Mike

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
    Just read this - if I understand you correctly, you're using the elastic loops sewn to the hammock hem to attach the underquilt directly to the hammock instead of using the shock cord to the ridgeline or gathered end, is that right?
    No the shock cord to the suspension is still there. It really supports the quilt. The elastic loops keep it open. I just don't trust sewing on the hem to support all the weight. I guess if i reinforced it a bit it would work though.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    hmmm mines a Wilderness Logic 3/4. You spose its not cut like the other ones? Differentially I mean..

http://wildernesslogics.com/Under-Qu...Quilt-Down.htm

From the WL web site:

Looks like a differential cut to me. Note the snug fit at the hammock and the shock cords running up high to the suspension line.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast