Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Types of ripstop?

I went searching local for a ripstop to make a hammock body for my first diy proj. 'found 2 stores that sells them and each gave me 2 samples of ripstop nylon. I asked the salesperson about the weights and deniers of the samples and they don't seem to know. I noticed the 3 samples have different grid(square)sizes, they measure 5mm, 2.5mm and 1.25mm. I compared the samples with the fabric of my Mountain Hardwear tent rainfly and stuff sack and the 2.5mm sample have the same grid size and thickness although the fly and sack is somewhat sticky. The 5mm sample is slightly thicker and the 1.25mm is slightly thinner than the 2.5mm sample. The 4th sample is a diamond ripstop w/c is the thickest of them. I'm planning on making a DL btw and planning on starting it soon but now I'm confused which one to get. Hope I can get some help from you guys. Thanks all.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    Your first one? Easy. Get the cheapest. Also, ripstop is not rip-proof in nylon. I like a bit heavier, but I am not going to thru-hike the AT anytime soon. Can you get 2 different colors or patterns? Cause dual color DL's (inside/outside) are sweet like sweet candy. I am far from good at sewing, but feel free to PM me any question, I will help you search, or give my best advice. I liked Manila, and Angel City. Pretty place, but the sun felt like a lazer on my midwestern skin.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

Hammock
    DL
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hippofeet View Post
    Your first one? Easy. Get the cheapest. Also, ripstop is not rip-proof in nylon. I like a bit heavier, but I am not going to thru-hike the AT anytime soon. Can you get 2 different colors or patterns? Cause dual color DL's (inside/outside) are sweet like sweet candy. I am far from good at sewing, but feel free to PM me any question, I will help you search, or give my best advice. I liked Manila, and Angel City. Pretty place, but the sun felt like a lazer on my midwestern skin.
    The prices does not differ that much from each other, Php50-Php 80(about $1-$1.50) /yard. I did also found a nylon taffeta from another store that sells for Php25(50¢) /yard and an oxford. I can still get a lower price if I do some haggling but i just went there for price checking and availability, also i didn't bring enough cash Its actually a street strip of stores in downtown Manila wherein you can find all sorts of fabrics where haggling is a common practice. The colors available from the stores I went to are black, navy blue, sky blue, brown, moss green, red and grey. I remember seeing a floral pattern ripstop from the street, I'm sure there are lot other designs i can find if i only have time. planning an all black or maybe a moss green w/ black combination.
    Last edited by StrawHat; 06-29-2011 at 01:41.

I remember seeing a floral pattern ripstop
    While not stealth..... but very unique.... thinking beach hammock
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Fabric store clerks have no clue what the weights of their fabrics are. The buyers might know but in a chain store the buyer is in the corporate offices. IMO unless you are a gram weenie the weight between 1.9 oz (most common) and 1.1 (less common) is negligible. If you're a gram weenie you aren't going to take the store stats as gospel anyway.

First hammock... I agree go cheap. My preference as has been stated ad nauseum before is polyester taffeta. I love that stuff for hammocks and the ripstop grid is definitely not going to stop the hammock from tearing. It is intended for garment use.. not weight bearing use. Ripstop and taffeta are both very robust fabrics for hammock bodies.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    Yeah, at my local Joanne's, not one of the lady's actually sews anything. They just work there, and know where things are located in the store. I would totally do a floral pattern for an inside layer.
    Last edited by hippofeet; 06-29-2011 at 09:31. Reason: Thinking of a diff. fabric, now I gotta search.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

Hammock
    DL
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    IMO unless you are a gram weenie the weight between 1.9 oz (most common) and 1.1 (less common) is negligible. If you're a gram weenie you aren't going to take the store stats as gospel anyway.
    Weight is the least issue for me as I used to carry an 8lb plus tent. Not too heavy but is durable and will give me protection from bugs and especially during the "limatik" (parasitic mountain leeches) season w/c btw is in full bloom this rainy season.

Quote Originally Posted by hippofeet View Post
    I would totally do a floral pattern for an inside layer.
    Not sure about the floral pattern for my inside layer. I usually sleep on my back in a straight position. I dunno but I got this freaky thought seeing myself laying in it with flowers around me.

Polyester taffeta is hard to find, maybe I'll go with the nylon taffeta,its cheaper and there are more colors available. ...speaking of which, is there a thread somewhere that list their color combination, maybe i can get some more ideas.
    Last edited by StrawHat; 06-30-2011 at 00:28. Reason: fixed Ramblinrev's quote

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldz View Post
    Polyester taffeta is hard to find, maybe I'll go with the nylon taffeta,its cheaper and there are more colors available. ...speaking of which, is there a thread somewhere that list their color combination, maybe i can get some more ideas.
    You may need to find a different or bigger megaphone to call out the fashionistas here for help on that last.

If they don't come forward, point your web browser to grand trunk and also other non-bush / non-camping hammock peddlars. Also the sellers of mayans. They all show hammocks with more than one color; sure, taste is individual, but they likely know what other people find attractive. You don't want to be asked to leave the beach for being too tacky.

Not just flowers, but iirc expanded widths, with the outer portions in a contrasting color.

Hammock
    DL
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Is anyone familiar with the silver back nylon fabric? it has a silver coating on its back and comes in different colors, and it's light too. The store clerk says its waterproof, same material used in umbrella by some manufacturers....'just wondering if they would make a good tarp material.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    if it's coated (feels rubbery on one side) it should work fine as a tarp. Just don't use waterproof fabrics as a hammock... unless you like swimming...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast