Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

incubator / blackbird

Some time ago when I first took delivery of my incubator I asked a question about best way to suspend it under the hammock.

I've tried the standard shock cord and also triangle thingies from arrowhead but it's just not working for me. I find that when its snugged up to the hammock there is just not enough room for my shoulders, and also when my feet go into the footbox it kicks the incubator away. I've also tried shock cord over the top of the ridgeline in two places but the sleepin area just feels narrow and there is loads of excess material in the hammock. In other words it's just not a comfortable set up at all - but, it's absolutely fine with my clark nx-250.

What am I doing wrong? or is it just that the shape of the blackbird and the size of the incubator is just too narrow and I need a wider incubator? I'm 6'5 and have wide shoulders, 46" chest. If anyone can offer any solutions I'd be grateful as I prefer the blackbird when the temperature is higher, in other words, right now.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I put a similar UQ on a Blackbird in this video.......
    If you did not see it....it may give you some help.
    I hope.
    Best of luck.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Fine video , Shug!

I had somehow missed that one, and it is appropriate for me as sooner or later I will be hookin' up my 3/4-3S Crowsnest to my new Blackbird. Not till fall though - I bought a 1/8" (yes, 1/8") piece of minicellfrom McMaster-Carr to use between layers of the Double 1.7. But fall will arrive eventually.......

I was wondering about how to orient the UQ what with the footbox and all, and from the looks of this vid all things are possible with S-Biners.

Thanks!

Jim

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Many tha Shug, informative and helpful as always. I'll have a try with that this weekend

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My camera and I do try......!
    Good luck.
    S.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Strange. I use the same setup, WBBB dbl 1.7 with a Winter Incubator, and have had no issues. Getting it to snug up took some time but after that I am sleeping great. Feet in the footbox, no issues there. Shoulders stay covered, no issues there. I wonder if maybe you have cinched up the ends too tight? Or, maybe you are an ACTIVE sleeper causing the UQ to shift? I haven't heard anyone else with a similar setup share those concerns.

Hope you get it worked out.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    The ends have been pretty tight actually, maybe that's the problem

I haven't managed to get out but the mother in law is coming next week so a 5 day trip is on the cards

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    BigMambaJamba w/po
    Insulation
    3s BM & Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Make sure you've got the head and foot ends oriented correctly. The incubator is wider at the head end (brown clip). I have 50" shoulders and my incubator has hung perfectly from the get-go. I didn't have to snug up the ends at all and I had no issues with the foot box. BUT, I have the 3-season Incubator which is lighter and has less sag, and the temps haven't been below 40*f - so my experience might not be relevant.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    I had the same problem. It's just a matter of learning how to snug up the Incubator properly. Shug's video captured it perfectly. I use a DIY set of TTs to mimick what Shug did by tightening the suspension more on the footbox and a bit less on the oposite side. I do the same thing in reverse at the head end so the Incubator won't slip of my left shoulder. It just takes some time and fiddling, but once you find the sweet spot, it's much easier to hit it again.

Make sure that the head end is at your head (head end is wider and usually has the knot tied into the shockcord). Also, beware over-tightening. It helps a lot to get someone roughly your size and weight get into the hammock while to tinker with the suspension. Then, you will know what needs to be done next time.
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    I think the thing that most people do is try to make the UQ look like it fits good while the hammock is empty. That is the wrong thing to do. The hammock body should actually be pulled up by the UQ, so that when you lay inside the hammock, the stretch in the shock cord is noticeable. It is the shock cord that pulls the UQ around you and snugs/comforms to your dimensions. The system shouldn't look so pretty when the hammock is empty, it should look like a UQ with some fabric laying inside of it. Once some weight (a body) enters the hammock, the shock cord pulls the UQ up around your shoulders, legs, etc... And always make sure the shock cord is above your body parts; feet and shoulders, mainly. If you push down on the shock cord with your feet or shoulders after you enter the hammock, you can create air gaps or an improper fit. This method works with all UQ's, not just Hammock Gear equipment. If you push down on the edge of any underquilt, it will create gaps. This is important, especially in a more "fitted" underquilt like the HG gear or a partial UQ, with any insulation. Think about it: if you pushed the neckline of your Down Puffer jacket away from your neck, you get a cold neck where the jacket isn't close to your skin. Or if you are carrying a huge machete on your belt that won't let your down jacket fall over your hip and beltline, you have a cold spot where that insulation isn't against your body and working as intended. Snug is better when dealing with insulation, loose creates gaps and makes the UQ more susceptible to shifting. Yes, you can go oversized to compensate, but that adds weight as well as possibilities for more and larger air gaps.

The message here is tighten it up. It should pull the hammock body up and will look a little strange until you get into the hammock, but it will conform to you when you enter the hammock. Insulation is meant to be close to the thing you want to insulate, and in a flexible and conformable body like a hammock, the best way to keep your insulation close is to keep the suspension on the insulation tight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast