Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    So DemostiX (or anyone else who wants to reply) - give me your honest evaluation: Will Tyvek tarps keep my two sons dry for a four-night hammock hang? Last time I hung at Lake Lila, NY, my Hennessy Hammock kept me dry through five inches of rain in one night.

I'm on a limited budget for this trip, but I want the same rain protection for my sons' hammocks. Getting wet might turn them off hammock camping for life. I just don't have enough money to buy a real tarp for them and Tyvek seems like the best option for a cheap, reliable tarp.

That guy you mentioned on E-Bay (frequentfire, I think) will make custom Tyvek tarps with tie-outs - I'm checking with him on price for a 14x9 or 16x9 tarp. He only has 9-ft wide Tyvek. He will also add tie-outs, but I'll have to see how much he charges.

If the price is under $20 per tarp (with or without tie-outs), I'll probably buy it. If not, I'll hit up my friends in the construction industry and make my tarps from scraps using Tyvek tape, with a bunched up pebble and a Larks Head knot for tie-outs. I'll probably reinforce the corners and other tie-out areas with Tyvek tape as well.

I'm thinking I can use some Amsteel Blue for a ridgeline and just lay the Tyvek over it. However, water might run right down the ridgeline, under the Tyvek, and onto the hammock. I could always use drip strings, or tie-outs on the ridgeline with Prusik knots to connect to the ridgeline. I'll probably experiment in the field.

I've been experimenting in the backyard with a 7x7 Tyvek ground cloth and I am really encouraged that this will be the ultimate cheapo tarp solution. Tyvek is really easy to hang, and seems to remain taut, There's the noise problem with Tyvek in wind and rain, but I would listen to a continuous loop of Brittany Spears all night if it kept me dry.

Does this Tyvek tarp sound like it will work for me in my situation? Dry and reliable for one five-day trip, no matter how much it rains, and under $20 per tarp is about all I care about. I really don't want to have to give up my dry Hennessy to a whiny kid who's getting wet.

BTW - I tried the generic blue tarp and the grommets ripped with virtually no tension. I'm not going that route.

Somewhere in my future is a OES Cuben tarp. Santa, take note.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Yes the Tyvek tarp will work for a 5 day trip. Some people through hike with them. Tyvek is darn near indestructable and you may find yourself using those tarps for years to come. For tie outs, you can sew Tyvek. So you can tack on some grossgain loops that way. Another option is to use the Tyvek tape to make the loops.

As far as the generic blue tarps go, yes the grommets are weak. If you plan on using one of these for long term it's best to sew grossgain loops whereever you plan to attach a line.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm also not particularly happy with the glaring white color of the Tyvek tarp. I don't want to bother with dye, so I was thinking of letting my sons add some stripes of a light coat of blue and green spray paint to break up the monotony of Tyvek white and the blue logo.

Would that be bad for the Tyvek as far as keeping dry?

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fubba28 View Post
    I'm also not particularly happy with the glaring white color of the Tyvek tarp. I don't want to bother with dye, so I was thinking of letting my sons add some stripes of a light coat of blue and green spray paint to break up the monotony of Tyvek white and the blue logo.

Would that be bad for the Tyvek as far as keeping dry?
    Might be a waste of time and paint. I just got a 10x12 sheet of tyvek (super excited ) and crumpled and washed it w/out detergent (like it even more now that I can handle it w/out earplugs), and noticed that the lettering was fading just from that. If dupont can't keep their "miracle of science" add on their own product, I figure me with a box of rit dye or can of spray paint don't stand a chance .

I've just come to accept it as the down-side of tyvek till dupont realizes their is a niche in the market for stealthier sheets (they can evidently color it when it's being manufactured, but once it's done--it's done). It's a light, durable, useful tarp that also happens to be a blazing white banner for the "miracle of science."
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    In the middle of winter when surrounded by snow it's the stealthiest tarp your gonna find in cornia searing white.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by timabababaluka View Post
    Might be a waste of time and paint. I just got a 10x12 sheet of tyvek (super excited ) and crumpled and washed it w/out detergent (like it even more now that I can handle it w/out earplugs), and noticed that the lettering was fading just from that. If dupont can't keep their "miracle of science" add on their own product, I figure me with a box of rit dye or can of spray paint don't stand a chance .

I've just come to accept it as the down-side of tyvek till dupont realizes their is a niche in the market for stealthier sheets (they can evidently color it when it's being manufactured, but once it's done--it's done). It's a light, durable, useful tarp that also happens to be a blazing white banner for the "miracle of science."
    I agree. I just washed some with detergent, and tumbled it (NO HEAT) for a few minutes with a pair of sneakers. It's soft as an old flannel shirt, the letttering is faded, and even the white is somewhat subdued. I credit my size 14 sneaks.

Sewing on tie out loops is not a good way to go. Use the tyvek tape, or plastic beads with mason twine loops larksheaded over them.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Converts painted tyvek tarp.

Maybe Convert can chime in on durability of the paint on a long term basis?
    Looks doable from his vid and testing.
    Even if it did crack and flake off some, just reapply the paint after a season...
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Gargoyle, if I ever get the Tyvek (I refuse to pay), I'm going to spray paint the hell out of my Tyvek with blue and green. Your tarp looks awesome. Let me get back to construction site dumpster-diving.

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by fubba28 View Post
    Gargoyle, if I ever get the Tyvek (I refuse to pay), I'm going to spray paint the hell out of my Tyvek with blue and green. Your tarp looks awesome. Let me get back to construction site dumpster-diving.
    I used to watch builders around the Atlanta area throw entire rolls of that stuff in the dumpster It's very scarce now with the construction bust. Been thinking about buying some from a local surplus building suppy store. They have the rolls of 9' or 10' for around $50 and those will make a few tarps

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123