Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Very Informative Super Shelter video,

I just found this tonight and had to share, this guy does a Fantastic job with SS setup and take down. http://www.youtube.com/user/Ggreenvi...84/3s9vpS8F5SQ
    I'm Popeye the hammock man I'll be in the woods again, by the end of the day tomorrow I pray I'll be in a hammock man. toot toot..

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    oh yea ive seen that before. I think tom hennessy has a pretty good set of videos too though
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    warbonnet BB 1.1 single layer
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben fiber
    Insulation
    cottage down
    Suspension
    whoopie, Flyz, CRL
    Quote Originally Posted by wabow View Post
    I just found this tonight and had to share, this guy does a Fantastic job with SS setup and take down. http://www.youtube.com/user/Ggreenvi...84/3s9vpS8F5SQ
    Wabow, thanks for posting. Bushman of the Yukon's videos are always very interesting and informative. i really enjoy them!
    who learns will love and not destroy
    the creature's life, the flower's joy

Images
    That was indeed a very informative set of videos! I was amazed that he went through re-tying that HH suspension over and over again, as he showed the original setup of each individual component of the super shelter and snake skins and tarp. Wow!

One thing that was very interesting to me is that he set up the over cover before the undercover. This is actually exactly as HH recommends in their instructions that come with the super shelter. But it didn't seem quite right to me when I first set it up. So I contacted Hennessy and asked them about it. And they actually responded that indeed it was better to set the over cover on last, after the undercover. That way the over cover overlaps the outer edge of the undercover, and any moisture that has accumulated on it can rolloff on the ground. Rather than being funneled down into the undercover.

But now, after watching Bushman set this up, I can see the reasoning for the other approach. One thing about the over cover, the way I was using it, it does have a tendency to gap up along the edges, in fact even the wind can blow it upward along the edges, decreasing its efficiency as a wind block. Regardless, it still seems to have a lot of retained warmth and wind blocking abilities. But I can clearly see– looking at Bushman's set up – that putting the over cover on there first might well help that situation. In other words, the under cover's top edge comes up well above the bottom edge of the over cover. This should greatly decrease the ability of the wind to get under the top cover edge and lifted upwards.

And after all, the over cover is not really meant to serve as any form of tarp duty. Even though I do find it somewhat water resistant. So there shouldn't be much moisture drops on it to roll down into the undercover – since the tarp should be keeping that from happening. Still, I suspect moisture can accumulate on it, just like it accumulates on the underside of the tarp from condensation. So there is a choice for a person to make, which way to apply the over cover. I'm not even sure which way, Hennessy suggest doing it, since their directions said to put the over cover on first, but their correspondence to me indicated that that was some kind of misprint, and I should put the over cover on last. So, your choice.

One thing that is plain to see is how every part of this system really adds to the weatherproofing. Even the snake skins. When you're looking at this thing, it's hard to imagine any water getting past the Sil-Nylon, even with sideways rain/snow/fog. The waterproof Sil-Nylon undercover and the somewhat water resistant top cover go almost to the end of the hammock, and then the quite small stock tarp supplies the final coverage over the ends and some coverage out to the sides. Then the snake skins come down somewhat over the end of the tarp, supplying even a small bit of extra end coverage. And I remember from my use, if the tarp is tied to the trees, then the snake skins come in right over the end of the hammock to meet the end of the undercover/over cover! What a system! At least if you're a person from the system works – especially condensation wise. Too bad it doesn't seem to work for everybody, but only some of us lucky ones I guess!

Did he mention the space blanket? I don't remember seeing that.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-03-2011 at 19:40.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    That was indeed a very informative set of videos! I was amazed that he went through re-tying that HH suspension over and over again, as he showed the original setup of each individual component of the super shelter and snake skins and tarp. Wow!

One thing that was very interesting to me is that he set up the over cover before the undercover. This is actually exactly as HH recommends in their instructions that come with the super shelter. But it didn't seem quite right to me when I first set it up. So I contacted Hennessy and asked them about it. And they actually responded that indeed it was better to set the over cover on last, after the undercover. That way the over cover overlaps the outer edge of the undercover, and any moisture that has accumulated on it can rolloff on the ground. Rather than being funneled down into the undercover.

But now, after watching Bushman set this up, I can see the reasoning for the other approach. One thing about the over cover, the way I was using it, it does have a tendency to gap up along the edges, in fact even the wind can blow it upward along the edges, decreasing its efficiency as a wind block. Regardless, it still seems to have a lot of retained warmth and wind blocking abilities. But I can clearly see– looking at Bushman's set up – that putting the over cover on their first might well help that situation. In other words, the undercover's top edge comes up well above the bottom edge of the over cover. This should greatly decrease the ability of the wind to get under the top cover edge and lifted upwards.

And after all, the over cover is not really meant to serve as any form of tarp duty. Even though I do find it somewhat water resistant. So there shouldn't be much moisture drops on it to roll down into the undercover – since the tarp should be keeping that from happening. Still, I suspect moisture can accumulate on it, just like it accumulates on the underside of the tarp from condensation. So there is a choice for a person to make, which way to apply the over cover. I'm not even sure which way, Hennessy suggest doing it, since their directions said to put the over cover on first, but their correspondence to me indicated that that was some kind of misprint, and I should put the over cover on last. So, your choice.

One thing that is plenty to see is how every part of this system really adds to the weatherproofing. Even the snake skins. When you're looking at this thing, it's hard to imagine any water getting past the Sil-Nylon, even with sideways rain/snow/fog. The waterproof Sil-Nylon undercover and the somewhat water resistant top cover go almost to the end of the hammock, and then the quite small stock tarp supplies the final coverage over the ends and some coverage out of the sides. Then the snake skins, and somewhat over the end of the tarp, supplying even a small bit of extra coverage. And I remember, if the tarp is tied to the trees, then the snake skins come in right over the end of the hammock to meet the end of the undercover/over cover! What a system! At least if you're a person from the system works – especially condensation wise. Too bad it doesn't seem to work for everybody, but only some of us lucky ones I guess!

Did he mention the space blanket? I don't remember seeing that.
    I have to agree. there are alot of hammocks out there but tom really put sometime into making a complete hammock system and now hes got those typhoon tarps with blast doors also!
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    HHUL Explorer Asym.
    Tarp
    I dunno, came w HH
    Insulation
    HHSS & OC
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    I see he put the side lines from the hammock through the Over Cover first, then through the Under Cover, which places the OC inside the SSUC. Is this the recommended method?

I think I might have done mine with the OC over the UC. I don't now if it's possible for condensation to form between the Fly and the OC, but if it did, the method in the video would channel any drips right into the SS.

Just a thought....FWIW...IMHO, etc.... LOL!

Hammock
    HHUL Explorer Asym.
    Tarp
    I dunno, came w HH
    Insulation
    HHSS & OC
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Wow, I really should have read the entire post before I posted my last...my apologies!

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    no worries brother

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Well there ya go, now I have something else to buy What a beautiful seemingly complete medium cool weather system. I have been using the reflective coated bubble wrap with a blue closed cell foam sleeping pad under it in and around the 40 degree mark with no CBS with the super shelter and over cover I am thinking I could extend that down a ways or should I just buy a potomac, oh the decisions...........

It was a great video, I like BillyBob, was surprised he showed retying all the knots over and over and then realized how by doing so he had given you a complete vision of all it would take to do the add on and in so doing one should have no surprises upon buying it. He could have jammed it all on at once and it would have left some confusion I think, but maybe thats just me. BillyBob you are right he didn't show the space blanket which I am guessing would add to the comfort of the system.

Thanks for the post Wabow.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by huauqui View Post
    Well there ya go, now I have something else to buy What a beautiful seemingly complete medium cool weather system. I have been using the reflective coated bubble wrap with a blue closed cell foam sleeping pad under it in and around the 40 degree mark with no CBS with the super shelter and over cover I am thinking I could extend that down a ways or should I just buy a potomac, oh the decisions...........

It was a great video, I like BillyBob, was surprised he showed retying all the knots over and over and then realized how by doing so he had given you a complete vision of all it would take to do the add on and in so doing one should have no surprises upon buying it. He could have jammed it all on at once and it would have left some confusion I think, but maybe thats just me. BillyBob you are right he didn't show the space blanket which I am guessing would add to the comfort of the system.

Thanks for the post Wabow.
    the space blanket will help with the condensation, but most peoples general temps are from 40 to 15 or so. I have only been to 40 but remember i live in SC haha so its not like I see very low temps

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast