Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

Proper UQ for warmer weather?

Well let's see here....

I'm a hot sleeper. I am currently using a UL Therm-a-rest pad for bottom insulation with a 45 degree sleeping bag. I usually don't touch the sleeping bag when I'm sleeping at night unless it's windy or raining hard.

I want an UQ but don't want to get one that is going to be too much for what I'm used to camping in. I do most of my backpacking in the hot spring and summer months here in NC and was thinking about getting a full length UQ but am worried that it's going to be too hot for me.

So now I'm leaning toward a 3/4??

What are your thoughts on the subject?

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro15 View Post
    Well let's see here....

I'm a hot sleeper. I am currently using a UL Therm-a-rest pad for bottom insulation with a 45 degree sleeping bag. I usually don't touch the sleeping bag when I'm sleeping at night unless it's windy or raining hard.

I want an UQ but don't want to get one that is going to be too much for what I'm used to camping in. I do most of my backpacking in the hot spring and summer months here in NC and was thinking about getting a full length UQ but am worried that it's going to be too hot for me.

So now I'm leaning toward a 3/4??

What are your thoughts on the subject?
    To better answer your question, it would be helpful to know what low temperature you want to deal with. Generically, any UQ can be loosened in warmer temperatures to allow for warm air "leakage" at the ends...or even shifted to one side of the hammock so that it's not even deployed under the hammock. The limiting factor for most folks is the low end of the temperature range.

If you're looking for an UQ with a similar 45 degree rating as your bag, a summer-weight UQ is probably a good choice. A three-season weight UQ will get you down to the mid-20s or so, but is overkill at 50 degrees. Don't get me wrong, a 3-season weight UQ will work and feel fine at 50 degrees but it's more insulation, weight and cost than you'll need at that temperature.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    OP There are at least two other threads going right now or in the last 30 days on exactly this topic. Browse for opinions and options.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Most of us Backpackers like 3/4 UQs as they take up less backpack space.
    Here is a current thread on what would seem to fit your question: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=33968

Here is one of my recent videos which may give you a bit more UQ insight. Hope this all helps ya' out.

Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I too am a hot sleeper. Partially for that reason, I'm a user of partial length underquilts. Saves weight, money, and space while still keeping me toasty throughout the year. The two that pop into my mind for summer specific partial UQs are the Summer Phoenix from Hammock Gear and the Summer Breeze from Te-wa. I own a Te-wa UQ and can speak to the quality from first hand experience. While I don't own a quilt from Hammock Gear, I have certainly handled several dozen of their quilts and have yet to find any reason to not buy one...other than current funds.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Thanks guys! I am thinking a 3/4 with a pad for my tootsies is the way to go. Shug...I watched that video already. Good stuff in there.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    i'm a little bit down the hill from you in high point.
    during summer i use a fleece throw between the layers of my hammock and
    that does a good job for me down to 60ish. if you have a place to test hang in your backyard you might try experimenting with some bed quilts or spreads. gather the ends and loop some line around each end and hang it like a uq just to see what you're comfortable with,(swat i did).
    there is a bunch of diy stuff to check out on the diy forum, like this that may give you some ideas,
    the other 3 seasons i use full length synth.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I too am a hot sleeper. Partially for that reason, I'm a user of partial length underquilts. Saves weight, money, and space while still keeping me toasty throughout the year. The two that pop into my mind for summer specific partial UQs are the Summer Phoenix from Hammock Gear and the Summer Breeze from Te-wa. I own a Te-wa UQ and can speak to the quality from first hand experience. While I don't own a quilt from Hammock Gear, I have certainly handled several dozen of their quilts and have yet to find any reason to not buy one...other than current funds.
    dang! I thought you owned everything hammock jk man
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro15 View Post
    Thanks guys! I am thinking a 3/4 with a pad for my tootsies is the way to go. Shug...I watched that video already. Good stuff in there.
    Cool...I never know.
    Go 3/4.......good choice.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Yeah...I'm up the hill a little on ya there! The killer here isn't the temp...it's the humidity. This temperate rain forest gets swampy sometimes!!

I'm roasting until the sun goes down. Then I'm good with nothing to help keep me warm. Then I wake up in the morning with the humidity down and reach for some gooesdown.

I've been camping riverside with a constant breeze coming through and woke up with some cold buns and toes before I started using a pad.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast