underquilt
    Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images
    I don't recall if I ever mentioned, but in all those trips to the potholes, I later found out those weren't the potholes! The trail I though was going there actually goes to the west side, but the potholes are on the north. No trail most of the way, and a rugged backwoods hike. But worth it for sure!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Nice Photos. Planning a trip there next Sept. with the Boy Scouts. Looks like it'll be a good destination.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Danger Bird
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Nice trip report love the photos

Hammock
    underquilt
    Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donk_67 View Post
    Nice Photos. Planning a trip there next Sept. with the Boy Scouts. Looks like it'll be a good destination.
    Hey Donk! Cool! It's a great place for kids. Mostly easy terrain, vast private beaches, no bear or anything to worry about except chipmunks and skeeters. The kids in my group all started backpacking on Manitou at age 4. First year they don't carry anything, second year just a bookbag with a teddy bear, and then build up from there. By boy scout age, they can start carrying your stuff, right??? lol

Hammock
    underquilt
    Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images
    My May 2014 trip is now online too! Here

Awesome Trip Report

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I wanted to say thanks for the report. I'm planning on a family trip up there next month for 4 or 5 nights after a little shake down weekend this month at Hoosier Natl. Forrest.
    My wife and my 12yr old daughter have each been on one backpacking trip with me but this trip will also include my 2yr son and my almost 4 month old son. Our mileage each day will obviously not be much as we will be at the pace of the 2yr old. Luckily he has energy to burn and loves taking short day hikes already.
    I'm undecided on trying to move camp each day or spend more than one night at a place. Any advice is appreciated.
    Last edited by Indiana Camper; 06-03-2016 at 06:53. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    EERevoltRevelation
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Camper View Post
    Sorry to bring back an old thread but I wanted to say thanks for the report. I'm planning on a family trip up there next month for 4 or 5 nights after a little shake down weekend this month at Hoosier Natl. Forrest.
    My wife and my 12yr old daughter have each been on one backpacking trip with me but this trip will also include my 2yr son and my almost 4 month old son. Our mileage each day will obviously not be much as we will be at the pace of the 2yr old. Luckily he has energy to burn and loves taking short day hikes already.
    I'm undecided on trying to move camp each day or spend more than one night at a place. Any advice is appreciated.

I was up there last summer for the first time. If I was you, I would look into getting a spot at the 'village campground' when you arrive on the island. It is maybe half a mile from where the boat docks. From there, you would be able to take short day hikes to what suits your family. I tried to nab a spot at the campground my last night on the island to make sure I was at the dock in time for departure and all the spots were already occupied. I think there may be 7-8 spots at that campground. There are some nice beach areas near the campground too. Also, the village campground is the only place on the island you can have a campfire. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do my best to answer.

Edit: Oh, almost forgot.. watch out for poison ivy! There is a TON of it on the island. I came back with my legs covered.
    Last edited by BrotherEarth; 06-03-2016 at 13:52.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Mega report...enjoyed.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherEarth View Post
    I was up there last summer for the first time. If I was you, I would look into getting a spot at the 'village campground' when you arrive on the island. It is maybe half a mile from where the boat docks. From there, you would be able to take short day hikes to what suits your family. I tried to nab a spot at the campground my last night on the island to make sure I was at the dock in time for departure and all the spots were already occupied. I think there may be 7-8 spots at that campground. There are some nice beach areas near the campground too. Also, the village campground is the only place on the island you can have a campfire. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do my best to answer.

Edit: Oh, almost forgot.. watch out for poison ivy! There is a TON of it on the island. I came back with my legs covered.
    Thanks for the reply. I am really torn on how much to try to move. Two weeks from today we'll be on a short trip on a trail I've been on several times in Hoosier National Forrest. I guess how we all do on that trip may influence how much we try to move on the island next month. Thanks for the heads up with the poison ivy.
    How about black flies and mosquitoes in mid July? Anybody have an idea of how bad those will be?
    Thanks again and hopefully I'm not derailing the thread. I've since read a more recent trip report from the OP and it was great as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast