ENO DN
    Tarp
    crappy random one
    Insulation
    blue foam
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

dogs?

My lab pup is not very content being tied to the tree to sleep under me on the ground. Or on the foam pad I bring for her. She's a spoiled house dog. So im entertaining the idea of having her in the hammock which may give the added benefit of warmth later on this fall. I think she can fit by my legsand lay reasonably flat. But im worried about nails punching thru the fabric. Anyone have experience in this? Or suggestions? Different hammock material? Triangular shaped pad for foot end to middle of hammock?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Paw booties. You'll want a set anyway for the winter snow so ice doesn't build up on and between her nail pads.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Both of my dogs love to sleep outside with me. Sometimes I use a small emergency blanket/tarp to make a little shelter for them, but they rarely use it. Both of my dogs are 'house' dogs.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'm making an elevated pup-tent for our pup tonight. I saw this the other day and thought to myself, "It's just a folding beach-lounger with a netting and fabric case around it."

Found the chair at a thrift shop earlier this week, did my fabric cutting last night, and will throw it all together tonight for the weekend adventure. Assuming it works, I'll get some pictures up next week. So far, I've got about $16 worth of materials in it and maybe 2 hours of my time. I figure the stitching and assembly will probably take me 5 hours or so this evening, but the total cost (with a padded bottom) will be under $20. Plus, it will fold up just like the beach loungers for easy storage. She won't be in a hammock, but at least she won't be stuck on the ground like some primitive caveman dog either.

P.S. That is a stock photo above. Our dog is nowhere near that pretty!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Home Made from Acer
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    Body Fat
    Suspension
    Mule's Special
    Images
    Before my dog had a stroke....he always went with me on hikes....tried the " lay next to me" thing and never worked....he always got up, always wanted to "run" and play during the night.....
    Even during the 4 nighter on the KT he never ran to far away, and always there waiting for me to get up....Never had problems with nails punchuring the fabric....but i never...cut his nails before a trip.

Jerry
    The only Easy day was yesterday.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Questions:
    Is the pad you bring for her the same one she sleeps on in the house (when not on your bed )? Familiarity helps.
    How old is your pup? Maturity helps.
    What kind of fabric is your hammock made of? Supplex is strong enough to resist dog toenails; 1.9 or lighter ripstop probably isn't.
    Do you want a 70 lb. dog cutting off the circulation in your legs when you're both in one hammock? (Not 70 lbs? Just wait.)
    See previous question, this time with cold, wet, 70 lb. dog.
    Good luck. Train her to lie under your hammock. My dog likes to do that now even when I'm not in it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Questions:
    Is the pad you bring for her the same one she sleeps on in the house (when not on your bed )? Familiarity helps.
    Train her to lie under your hammock. My dog likes to do that now even when I'm not in it.
    +1
    Rika has learned to sleep on her backpacking pad which I keep under my home hammock set up, so when we're in the piney woods she knows exactly where to bed down when I hunker down on the trail. She is staked to the ground with a bungee leash for bedtime (huskies just have that wanderlust spirit), and sleeps very comfortably underneath me. Now if only I can figure out how to train her to NOT tangle herself up in the tarp and hammock guylines and freak me out in the middle of the night...

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I think my HH Explorer just uses the 1.9 ripstop, and my dog sleeps in the hammock with me. I haven't had any issues with nails...but then again, she lies on top of the covers, so all that extra material may make a difference. As for middle of the night needs, I leave her leash clipped to the ridgeline and just let her out the bottom entry if she needs to go.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flangler View Post
    +1
    Rika has learned to sleep on her backpacking pad which I keep under my home hammock set up, so when we're in the piney woods she knows exactly where to bed down when I hunker down on the trail. She is staked to the ground with a bungee leash for bedtime (huskies just have that wanderlust spirit), and sleeps very comfortably underneath me. Now if only I can figure out how to train her to NOT tangle herself up in the tarp and hammock guylines and freak me out in the middle of the night...
    I used to tie Bony to one of the hammock trees and look for sites that let me tie out all the tarp lines to vegetation high enough that he could walk under the lines. I carried some 12' pieces of line to extend the tieouts when necessary. Now he is old enough that I can let him off the leash at night and he stays close. Couldn't do that with a young husky, though.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I used to tie Bony to one of the hammock trees and look for sites that let me tie out all the tarp lines to vegetation high enough that he could walk under the lines. I carried some 12' pieces of line to extend the tieouts when necessary.
    *smacks forehead*

Now why on Earth didn't I think of that?? I like to pitch one side low, but at least she could go under the porch lines if I can tie them out above the ground. AND she can carry the extra line in her own pack. Thanks for the idea WV!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast