Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Coomera River Overnight hike with BrucieHi5

The Coomera River is a river situated in the Gold Coast Hinterland in South East Queensland, Australia. The upper reaches of the river flow from the Lamington plateau and the Lamington National Park.

Our overnight hike starts at Binna Burra at Lamington National Park. Both BrucieHi5 and myself met online here on this great Hammock Forum. We got chatting and decided to meet up and go hiking together as I was on holidays staying with my sister at the Gold Coast, First time for me hiking with another Hammock Forum Member and someone that uses a Hammock. Great not to get strange looks from ground Dwellers for a change. Those ground dwellers have no idea what there missing out on.

We met early on a cold windy day at our destination. I can vouch BrucieHi5 looks just like he does on video. I recognized him straight away, the hat was a dead give away.

A quick chat, on with our packs and of we went, within 10 minutes off comes the jacket, we where sheltered from the cold blustery conditions.

Only days before this overnight hike, I purchased a GoPro Hero2 HD camera, similar to what BrucieHi5 uses on his trip reports of late.

A new learning curve for me with my new camera. It didn't start of the best, Using a supplied headband with the camera attached I started filming, but I didn't realise at the time if I hold the on/off button down to long it changes from video mode to camera mode, what I thought I was filming turned out to be images taken. Not to worry, I worked this out before all the good parts of our trip.

I can now see why a lot of you hikers out there use extension poles or hiking poles to attach your camera onto, as I found with my GoPro attached to my head the footage is a bit to shaky for my liking, as you will notice in some of the footage in particular the first few minutes, when we really had the pace on. I must learn to slow down. On the 2nd day this was indeed what we done, took our time and admired the scenery as well as a few creek crossings.

Did I say a few creek crossings? That should be more like 12 creek crossings. We both got wet feet. I felt like a duck by the end of the day.
    The creek was absolutely beautiful and not a single Leech was encountered, except for one that bruciehi5 found on his shoe on the 2nd day.

Being to avid hikers that love our gadgets and hammocks, we had a lot to talk about and we talked and talked and talked. BrucieHi5 showed me his setup and this nifty little tripod that had tent poles on the end of it. Got to get myself one of those.

One main disadvantage I found with the GoPro, if you could call it a disadvantage as it's easily rectified is the fact that the camera is enclosed in it's own waterproof housing, sound is not picked up. as the housing blocks any sound that can reach the camera's mike inside it's housing, bruciehi5 solution to this is by using a portable digital sound recorder and editing the sound into the footage. First thing I done after returning from this trip is purchasing a sound recorder I can take and use on my next trip reports.

I was tossed up what to do with this video report of mine, sound wise, I could play background music or see what I could do with what minimal sound the GoPro did pick up. I found in my editing software if I turned the volume up on the footage you can hear me talking, but unfortunately you can't hear bruciehi5. I choosen this path, not because you can't hear bruciehi5. because I think the video would still be more exciting than listening background music.

I hope you all like my first video report with my new camera, many more will follow and hopefully will improve. I have a lot to learn with trip reports.

A big thanks goes out to my new pal, bruciehi5. I had a great time hiking with you. We will have to do it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p3dDnotolc

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Bookmarked to watch later, already jealous before seeing even one second of it

Thanks for the (in my case upcoming) hike along! Happy hanging!

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    WWM,ENO SN, DIY,WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    DOWN :)
    Suspension
    Strap & Whoopie
    Awesome report .. Thanks for sharing

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    It was funny that most of the time I could hear me yapping and yakking away in the background, but couldn’t quite hear what I was saying, which is probably just as well. Heyyyy they were fake bird noises! I won’t tell anyone. Shhh! I thought I heard a lion roar at one stage... I have been hearing things lately. I liked the head cam with hiking poles in view. I want my foot rest back! When we were “lostish,” the forest in that area looked really nice. I like the bit when we are both trying to work out if your camera is on. The snake was as long as the tree I was walking on, would you believe it! You probably find that hard to believe, and for good reason.

As you know, the sound is a bit of a problem, but you’ve got yourself a sound recorder now, so that will fix that. You need to find just the right microphone for the job, or you’ll have more problems. Mine doesn't quite pick up enough ambient sound, but it blocks the wind really well. I’ve got four other mics that are good for nothing, so choose wisely!

Anyway, Phillipsart, as you know, I always hike solo. The one main thing I learned while hiking with you was that if I’m going to hike with someone, it’s best to hike with someone who also mostly hikes alone, as you do. I didn't have to worry about you at all, you were fully self-reliant, which made it a pleasure to hike with you! Thanks for the walk and the video!

P.S. I enjoyed the “written” trip report too! Hammocks rule! Down with tent dwellers!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruciehi5 View Post
    It was funny that most of the time I could hear me yapping and yakking away in the background, but couldn’t quite hear what I was saying, which is probably just as well. Heyyyy they were fake bird noises! I won’t tell anyone. Shhh! I thought I heard a lion roar at one stage... I have been hearing things lately. I liked the head cam with hiking poles in view. I want my foot rest back! When we were “lostish,” the forest in that area looked really nice. I like the bit when we are both trying to work out if your camera is on. The snake was as long as the tree I was walking on, would you believe it! You probably find that hard to believe, and for good reason.

As you know, the sound is a bit of a problem, but you’ve got yourself a sound recorder now, so that will fix that. You need to find just the right microphone for the job, or you’ll have more problems. Mine doesn't quite pick up enough ambient sound, but it blocks the wind really well. I’ve got four other mics that are good for nothing, so choose wisely!

Anyway, Phillipsart, as you know, I always hike solo. The one main thing I learned while hiking with you was that if I’m going to hike with someone, it’s best to hike with someone who also mostly hikes alone, as you do. I didn't have to worry about you at all, you were fully self-reliant, which made it a pleasure to hike with you! Thanks for the walk and the video!

P.S. I enjoyed the “written” trip report too! Hammocks rule! Down with tent dwellers!
    I did some serious editing and cut out a lot of me yapping away, as it sounded strange only hearing one side of the conservation. Watching this video you'd think we didn't talk, I can assure all you forum members we did indeed talked a lot, that's when we had the breath to, a couple of times I was out of breath and needed every gasp to get up that last hill, Particularly that last two or so Km's we had to walk uphill on the road to get back to our cars. After all I had taken some 2 hours of footage with my GoPro on that trip alone. That last two km's was harder than the climb I did up Mt Walsh last weekend, and that was a tough climb. I think I was coming down with some bug. Had a upset stomach that day and for a few days afterwards.

iMovie on my Mac has some great sound effects which I played around with a bit. Yes that was a lion.
    I agree I think the headband on the GoPro does give some great footage with the hiking poles, I've since purchased a chest Strap for strapping the gopro onto my chest, which should give another interesting view and see more of the hiking poles.

To think where you found that snake, I was crawling underneath it. I'm glad it was on top of that huge tree and not under.
    I'm going to try my sound recorder without a mic as the sound recorder has two mics on it and picks up stereo sound and lot's of ambient sounds, I've tested it out, It does a great job.

I to hike alone a lot, The overnight hike we had was the first time in over a year, the last time anyone joined me on a overnighter was my nephew in March of last year, that was down at the Royal National Park in NSW. Sometimes it's great to spend some time with other hikers. I was excited to finally hammock camp with a fellow hammock hiker. And to think I'm leading a 4 day hike soon with apx 5 or 6 hikers following me on the Connondale Range great walk. That's going to be an experience. A enjoyable one I hope. For someone like me who's a bit of a loner, it might be a bit of a challenge. I did help lead a group of 12 people up Mt Walsh last weekend and that went well. Everyone seamed to enjoy my company and I helped a couple of first time climbers to climb the mountain, which was very rewarding for me that I helped them to reach the top. I must admit a couple of times I got a bit scared, that's one serious mountain climb.
    Here's an Image I taken with my GoPro of me standing on top of the mountain.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Phillipsart; 05-09-2012 at 07:18.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    That was great! That camp site was something else...WOW! what a spot. Thanks for sharing. Looks like you're putting that Gopro to good use.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Just saw your post about possibly using a separate recorder for the audio. I do that sometimes, but what I've found is that its a PITA to put the camera down to clap my hands to sync the audio. And, as Zen as it might sound, syncing to the sound of one hand clapping isn't very easy either. So what I have is a "click trainer" for a dog, its really light and makes a nice spike in the audio to sync to and you can operate it with one hand. It almost sound like a really loud old fashion oil can if you know what I mean.

Looks like this:

Last edited by Redoleary; 05-09-2012 at 07:33.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Thumbs up

Enjoyable video of what looks like a great trip! Thanks for sharing the adventure! You fellers have got to be on the leading edge of the Down Under Hat Fashion scene for sure!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    Just saw your post about possibly using a separate recorder for the audio. I do that sometimes, but what I've found is that its a PITA to put the camera down to clap my hands to sync the audio. And, as Zen as it might sound, syncing to the sound of one hand clapping isn't very easy either. So what I have is a "click trainer" for a dog, its really light and makes a nice spike in the audio to sync to and you can operate it with one hand. It almost sound like a really loud old fashion oil can if you know what I mean.

Looks like this:

Thanks for the tip Redoleary. Looks like I'll be looking for a click trainer next time I'm up town. I hope there available over here in Australia.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Enjoyable video of what looks like a great trip! Thanks for sharing the adventure! You fellers have got to be on the leading edge of the Down Under Hat Fashion scene for sure!
    Yes it was a great trip. Went to quick. Could have easily have spent another night there.

I've always wondered if I should update my hat. With our climate it works well, but I do agree it's not a fashion statement. I've been on the look out for something more fashionable, but thus far have not found anything I'm happy with.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast