Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Question Toggle failure.... or something

Not sure what just happened exactly

I had just finished putting my whoopie ridgeline on my new DIY DL hammock. (just like with my HH I made it too long even at the shortest adjustment...great)
    I go to sit down for the first time and almost immediately hear a snap and drop from a sitting position onto the ground with a thud.

Glad I wasn't showing it to friends.

A was looking to the side that failed but only saw the lines zipping through the air for a split second. I thought maybe somehow it was the whoopie on that side that broke but it looks fine.

The toggle on that end is a half inch thick carbon tube. It collapsed in on itself so rather than an O it now looks more like ()() but it was still in place in the marlin spike hitch afterwards. The knot had not tightened down around the new smaller collapsed diameter.

What doesn't make sense to me though is even if the marlin spike knot tightened down so hard on the tube (doubt it) to collapse it, the whoopie wouldn't have slipped off without bending the split tube at the knot.

The only thing I can think is that the whoopie got loose while I was untwisting the hammock and snagged the edge of the toggle as it came down and crushed it as the loop impacted it and then slipped off to the side in one smooth motion.

Not sure how I feel about these toggles now.

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    How long is your carbon tube toggle. If it is too short it can twist and slip the loop off the whoopie. Also, I would consider using solid carbon rod or a section of 1/2 inch wooden dowel. The reason being that carbon tubing, albeit very strong in many directions, is easily crushed which is potentially what the Marlin hitch could do to it. My rule would be if you can lay the toggle on the ground and stand on it without it breaking then it will probably be good. aluminum tube might work, but I think the carbon is too weak in the direction of stress. Wood dowel is cheap and in the 3-3.5 inch toggle length will only be a few grams heavier than the carbon tube.
    -Mark
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Images
    3 Inches
    My understanding was that the knot takes most of the load, not the toggle, but the whoopie may have slipped.

Not real interested in repeating that again so I'll be looking for some dowel rod.

Now if only some machinist we happen to know would invent the Dutch Toggle.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    To avoid the loop slipping off the MSH, I added some whipping to my Whoopie Sling loops that is "loose" enough to slide, but "tight" enough to stay where I leave it. After I adjust the whoopie sling length and put the loop onto the MSH knot, I slide the whipping up to the knot. This makes it secure and prevents any possibility of the loop coming off the knot/toggle.

This is a "trick" I learned from Grizzly Adams. He may be able to supply a picture.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY!!!
    Insulation
    No Sniv & Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    To avoid the loop slipping off the MSH, I added some whipping to my Whoopie Sling loops that is "loose" enough to slide, but "tight" enough to stay where I leave it. After I adjust the whoopie sling length and put the loop onto the MSH knot, I slide the whipping up to the knot. This makes it secure and prevents any possibility of the loop coming off the knot/toggle.

This is a "trick" I learned from Grizzly Adams. He may be able to supply a picture.
    I would love to see pix of this. I have been doing something that sounds similar, but I think your method sounds better. I once hit the ground after forgetting to recheck the whoopie over the knot after I readjusted the whoopie. So now, I try to attach the toggle high enough to where I have enough webbing to tie a slip hitch up against the whoopie.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Maybe with some jiggling, the whoopie ended up on the toggle and not the knot. When you sat down, the toggle snapped creating the flattened area but because it was carbon fibre it returned to a straight position. I'd try a wood or aluminum toggle.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    This is a "trick" I learned from Grizzly Adams.
    It's a good one! I love the marlin spike and haven't had a problem yet, but that's only because I had the good fortune to check before getting in the hammock--twice the whoopie had slipped off the knot, but I caught it. Now I use a small segment of Solomon bar made out of paracord and slide it snug to secure the whoopie to the knot... hasn't shifted on me yet (though I still check (old habits die hard)).
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by griesl View Post
    I would love to see pix of this. I have been doing something that sounds similar, but I think your method sounds better. I once hit the ground after forgetting to recheck the whoopie over the knot after I readjusted the whoopie. So now, I try to attach the toggle high enough to where I have enough webbing to tie a slip hitch up against the whoopie.
    It's buried in this video, using a whipping knot, start paying attention around 3:00. There's a quick glimpse of the photo below (the loop sticking off to the right only looks like it is part of the whipping knot, and the whipping knot is more typically shoved up closer to the toggle.)
    Screen shot 2011-07-02 at 4.20.59 PM.png
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by timabababaluka View Post
    It's a good one! I love the marlin spike and haven't had a problem yet, but that's only because I had the good fortune to check before getting in the hammock--twice the whoopie had slipped off the knot, but I caught it. Now I use a small segment of Solomon bar made out of paracord and slide it snug to secure the whoopie to the knot... hasn't shifted on me yet (though I still check (old habits die hard)).
    My "whipping" is also a Solomon Bar made of Speer no-tangle. 'Twas easier to do than I feared! Luv the internet!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    My "whipping" is also a Solomon Bar made of Speer no-tangle. 'Twas easier to do than I feared! Luv the internet!
    Testify!

I was Internet educated on the Solomon bar last summer--easy to tie, effective, and looks nice to boot. Yup, love me that Internet!
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast