Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images

Ozark Highland Trail

In case anyone is interested in coming with me. I am hiking a section of the Ozark Highlands Trail (rated one of the top ten trails in the U.S. ), March the 17th-21st. I will start at the new lake Ft. Smith trailhead, go to White Rock Mountain, then to Cherry Bend that crosses the Hog Trail (HWY 23), and maybe to Hare Mountain. I still have to plan a little bit more . I will have my 17 year old boy, and my neighbor boy with me, and we will all be in hammocks . Here is the Web Site in case anyone is interested.

Thanks,
    Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    I would love to join you, but can only get out on the weekend. Have a great hike.
    Peace,
    Joe

Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite
    preacher,
    I would love to go, but me and a couple of buddies have already planned a trip to the caney creek trail the weekend of the 22nd. Sorry but I'm like txulrich only being able to hike on the weekends (I just can't make myself use the vacation days).
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

"Fearless warriors in a picket fence, reckless abandon wrapped in common sense
    Deep water faith in the shallow end and we are caught in the middle
    With eyes wide open to the differences, the God we want and the God who is
    But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle" - Casting Crowns

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Sounds great, but like others I can't make it during the week. The website says Lake Fort Smith is closed until April. I'm sure you already have, but you might want to double-check on trailhead access.

BTW, are things still on for the weekend of 3/28 at Devil's Den? I've got it penciled in my calendar; but I haven't heard much lately.

Have fun on the hike!!!

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningCedar View Post
    Sounds great, but like others I can't make it during the week. The website says Lake Fort Smith is closed until April. I'm sure you already have, but you might want to double-check on trailhead access.

BTW, are things still on for the weekend of 3/28 at Devil's Den? I've got it penciled in my calendar; but I haven't heard much lately.

Have fun on the hike!!!
    yep all is a go for Devil's Den . I thought i heard on the news that the trail was open again. Oh well, I'll call Tim Ernst and make for sure.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Even though there is a 40% chance of thunderstorms Monday, and a 60% chance of rain Tuesday, the boys and I are still planning on hiking 60+ miles this week. I am kinda glad for the rain because it will give me a chance to try out my new 10X12 Cathedral Cat Tarp . Amanda is almost finished with it right now . We are planning to start at Dockery's Gap, and hike to Arbaugh. Amanda will follow me to the Arbaugh trailhead on Saturday so that I can park my truck there, and then the boys and I will hike to the truck.

If anyone is interested in joining us, or hanging out for a night, we plan on staying Sunday night at the Dockery's Gap trail head, Monday night at Spirits Creek (if we can make it in the rain), Tuesday night at the Rock House just West of the Cherry Bend/Hwy 23 trailhead, Wednesday night at Herrod's Creek, and Thursday night at Little Mulberry Creek. I hope that the rain doesn't slow us down very much, if it does the boys are good hikers they can make it up on Wednesday, or if need be, stay another night to make it to the truck .

I'll try to take plenty of pics for yall, especially of the Cathedral in action.

Dwight
    Last edited by Preacha Man; 03-13-2008 at 03:40.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Preacher Man, That trail looks really good. I could go to except I have a meeting the evening of the 20th that I can't miss. Thanks for the invitation. I am so tempted but..... Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Images
    I have really wanted to hike the Ozark Highland Trail. Unfortunately I will not be able to join you either. I don't have enough notice to tell me boss (let alone the fact that I may not have enough vacation days)
    Have fun, be safe, stay dry and hang 'em high

Cameron
    "Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured"

Hammock
    Smokehouse Gathered End Hammock
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Well I thought about you last week when the state got all of that record rainfall. How did you make out? I know what it is like to be back in the back 40 with the streams swollen, check out my pictures link of my section 6 hike. Did yall have any major streams to cross? Well inquireing minds want to know!
    Former hiker due to health issues those days are over.

Hammock
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Sorry I have not posted, since I got back I have been busy, and busier . We ended up having to be rescued by the Sheriff Dept. The county we were in received 1" of rain every 10 minutes Tuesday morning . We tried to cross Spirits Creek, but it was already about 5' deep, and had whole trees floating down it. We then hiked back to our original camp where we spent Monday night, and the creek was about to over run our camp. We hid out under a water fall, which was pretty awesome, and then decided to hike back up the 3 miles/1000' hill to the road. Our gear was pretty good until it dumped on us Tuesday morning, we had 3 tarps overlapping each other, but the spray and wind was killing us. The boy's hammocks and quilts were soaked, so we hiked out. When we got the road, my neighbor called his mother (barely), cell service was horrible, and then we hiked down the road to stay warm. The hike up the hill was terrible too, the water on the trail, running down the hill, was to our shins . We found an old homestead on the road that had a walk in cellar built into the side of the hill and hid out in there, by that time, my neighbor's mother called the Sheriff to come pick us up . They sent 3 cars to get us, and only one was able to reach us because all the roads were washed out or flooded. When the Sheriff came, he told us to leave all our stuff and go, because the last road out was almost under water. When we went over the bridge the water was even with it . My boy and I went back the next day to get our stuff out of the cellar and poof, our packs were gone . We had a few things out of our packs, but my new Cathedral tarp, Steripen, Camera, Ipod, even our food was all gone . Whoever took them didn't take my pocket rocket, my Ti pot set, Claytor tarp, or my Leki super Makalu's. My wallet with SS card, credit cards, everything is gone. Oh well, at least we are safe right . We hiked around 20 miles altogether, and now I have to go to Oklahoma for the week. Oh, my cell phone was even ruined by all the water too. I'll try to post more of my fun vacation week later, but now I have to get ready to leave in the morning. The good thing is that I get to replace my gear (very slowly of course ) with things I have wanted, but couldn't get because I already had something similar.

Dwight

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast