Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

which/where to buy - Bug Net Mesh

I can't seem to find a good answer to this as it seems nobody wants to do what I have in my mind. I want some mesh for bugs to protect me in my Hammock. I don't want fancy expensive zippers or special netting with shock cord - just simple mesh so I can drape it over myself and then tie it off with some cord to my hammock's ridgeline.

Any recommendations? I live in SE WI but may want to camp in Northern wisconsin so I may need something to combat noseeums too.

Thanks guys.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Thanks Newton. That helped me think of more questions I had. How wide does it need to be? How long should it be?
    I saw some polyester mesh at Walmart and was wondering if that would do the trick? Forgot the width though.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    hmmmm now thats a tough one. im def not a DIY guy. I wish I was but have no way of getting a sewing machine. someday I hope to own one. I could only say hopefully someone else will chime in on that
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jooleyen View Post
    Thanks Newton. That helped me think of more questions I had. How wide does it need to be? How long should it be?
    I saw some polyester mesh at Walmart and was wondering if that would do the trick? Forgot the width though.
    Jooleyen, for the length, measure out your ridgeline, and maybe add 6 inches each end, for a gathered tie. For the width, laying in your hammock, at the widest portion (sprawl out in your preferred sleep position), use a fleible tape measure (sewing type, cloth or vinyl), and measure length. Add about 1.5 feet extra for each end, and weigh down with quarters taped in or knotted in small stones to have it hang.

Or get out your sewing machine!
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    This post may also give you some ideas for dimensions...

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    http://www.zpacks.com/materials.shtml

you can get it here as well. scroll to the bottom...

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    The easiest DIY net is to get a long enough length and width, drape it over your ridgeline and tie the corners in a knot. You may need to clip some sort of weight to keep it from blowing around, and safety pins can hold it to your ridgeline, as well as a string or band to hold the ends tight.

There are lots of DIY styles. From socks, to side-entry to bottom-gathered with a shock cord, to weighted, to . . . They all work. Search the DIY thread for bugnet...

I'd recommend treating your net with Permethrin so if any DO find a hole, they're not likely to survive to get to you. My first DIY Net (side entry sock) had several mossies on it trying to get to me during my test hang. The next day I treated it and never saw another one land on it again... (you gotta love backyard hangs!)

There are several types of usable, cheap fabrics: (All from my local Joann's - your fabric store may vary)
    Mosquito-stoppers:
    • Mosquito netting (white) can be spray-dyed, really wide, like 90" or something.
    • Tulle (most tulle is fragile, they also have camo tulle that's pretty strong)

No-See-Um stoppers:
    • Organza - Bridal veil material, available in many colors and styles (even comes with pink flowers if you desire)
    • Real no-see-um netting *not at my local Joann's, but available at a few online sources.

The mosquito netting is pretty nice, lays well,and is wide enough to make a sock out of in one piece.

Joann's regular tulle is too fragile for my tastes, and has big holes. Their "Fashion Tulle" (3 camo-styles) has smaller holes and is quite strong, though more money. Organza is great as it stops anything, is reasonably strong and available in lots of colors and styles... the only downside is it is so tightly woven, it stops breezes on warm nights...

Here are pics of some of my hammocks, and different net materials:

Joann's mosquito net spray dyed black:

Joann's "Fashion Tulle" - nice, small holes, quite strong.

Shiny green organza (daughter's choice):

Hope this helps.

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    GT Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    ENO dryfly
    Suspension
    flat poly webbing
    John thank you very much I had been wondering the same thing now I'll know what I'm looking for when I go in next time

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Tulle, chiffon, and organza are often used substitutes. Tulle is too stiff for my tastes. It is a "structural" fabric. IOW it is intended to make shapes and hold those shapes. Widely used for bows, headpieces and decorative elements in the Bridal industry. Lots of folks like it (see above) but I don't care for it.

Chiffon is a very soft but tightly woven fabric. It is too soft for my taste. Stronger than tulle, but extremely pliable it drapes beautifully for dresses and the like. But I find it too baggy and too hard to control.

I don't have any direct experience with organza. As a fabric it is somewhat in the middle between tulle and chiffon. It is a lovely fabric to work with but probably a little harder to find and probably more expensive than either of the other ones. It's what I, personally, would try the next time.
    But that's not likely to happen in all honesty.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast