Convert2010's recent DIY thread got me thinking... I've made way too many hammocks, a synth TQ, whoopies, tarps, toggles, heiny pots, alky stoves, etc, that it's time to try my hand with some down.

I have a plethora of fabric bits, some big enough for a 2/3rds UQ (all calendared, of course), some IX, and some "down" (ok, mostly feathers) that I salvaged from a quilt a friend gave me...

Since I have nothing but time coming up (Daughter's in Australia, Son leaves for Arizona in a week, Wife is shipping off to FL at the end of the month) I need a project to keep me out of trouble...

I've been intrigued by the Karo-stepped quilts, but all the ones I've seen are TQ's.

Here's the thought: Sewn-through Karo Step UQ. (summer weight?) ... I can either make it out of nylon all the way around, OR, use IX for the inside.

Since I don't see any snow... and Jack's R Better makes a sewn-through quilt, I figured, Why Not? The karo-step feature minimizes the sewn-area, reducing cold spots, provides for ease of filling (and over-filling), and would be an afternoon project. I figure a goal of 1-1.5" loft would get me what I wanted, and I should have enough harvested down to do that. (I do have about 2 gallons worth of better down saved from my down SB to TQ conversion I could add...

If I like it, I can always remove the crummy down and add good stuff, or just start over...

Thoughts? to IX or not to IX... and how long/close to sew the steps are the questions...

John