Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    haha that made me laugh audibly. That is really funny. I just picked up a Wilderness Logics Big Daddy Tarp from redbeard. As I wait for it to travel the distance to me I have been thinking about adding the doors to the tarp eventually. But I see 2QZQ's site lists specific model tarps in which they can put doors on. Am I out of luck as far as doors go for my Big Daddy Tarp? Am I restricted to a scary DIY project? I would rather pay 2QZQ....
    Send us a PM and we will give you an e-mail to send a pic of the tarp...or post one here. Then we will see what we can do. If I get a chance later, I will see if I can find a picture on the web. ZQ
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    How much weight do these add to the tarp out of curiosity?
    I made my doors from 1.0 parachute ripstop. It added 110g/4 oz to the tarp.

Hammock
    ENO DN w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    Beautiful spot! Several years ago, we spent the day at the picnic area on the eastern shore near the "rent a islands". We had to go to the ranger station that is on one island to get our permit. The whole set up is pretty neat.

Aren't ENO DNs rated to 450 pounds - enough for both spouses to sit in together out of the rain? Just sayin'..... a happy wife makes a happy life!
    Yeah, but I brought my SN on this trip and left the DN back in the truck. We can both get in the DN, but comfort lasts only a short while. Pretty soon we're elbowing and kneeing each other, so it becomes counter productive to the whole "happy wife, happy life" goal.

Hammock
    ENO DN w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Best light weight protection you can add to any tarp IMHO!
    Agreed! It rained the entire time during my first trip out earlier this year. I was under pretty dense foliage so rain wasn't an issue...but the cold wind was. It was amazing the difference closing off the doors made. I still got plenty of ventilation and air moving under my rig, but it was just enough to keep me cool vs. cold. I love these things. Best part is I got a chance to meet and hang out with 2Q during the MAHHA outing last Fall. A nicer guy you'll never meet. Money well spent indeed.

I'm looking forward to trying out the tarp pole mod they did for me. Unfortunately, I never got out this winter...but that will change this year for sure.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Oh and I have a Superfly with built in doors ... did you know you can take a Grizz Beak and make a big old tarp even "mo bigger"

Great piece of gear and well worth having along especially if you might be getting some nasty weather. Mine actually only weighs 5.1 oz and a second one I have 5.0 oz.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    Send us a PM and we will give you an e-mail to send a pic of the tarp...or post one here. Then we will see what we can do. If I get a chance later, I will see if I can find a picture on the web. ZQ
    Hey 2Q Thanks a lot for the reply! I have yet to receive it, but when I do i will post pictures. There are really no sufficient pictures on the net. The website has tiny tiny pictures and zooming in makes it all de-pixelated. It will be a bit, probably in September, till I can afford the upgrade, but it would be great to know if it can happen. So I will be sure to get back to you. Thanks again!

DP
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    Hey 2Q Thanks a lot for the reply! I have yet to receive it, but when I do i will post pictures. There are really no sufficient pictures on the net. The website has tiny tiny pictures and zooming in makes it all de-pixelated. It will be a bit, probably in September, till I can afford the upgrade, but it would be great to know if it can happen. So I will be sure to get back to you. Thanks again!

DP
    ZQ here, again...the other half!! We will be here when ready! Yes, send us a picture when you have it all set up, and we will go from there. Thanks!
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    HH Expedition zip, WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    stock, diy tarp
    Suspension
    stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey.223 View Post
    Camped on an island in the middle of Lake George NY this weekend. You can rent island camp sites, accessible only by boat.

We were on a small island with about 13 of us. We had a hard time finding enough suitable spots to pitch tents on...including my wife's tent. However, I found a NICE spot between two trees at the water's edge.

Everything was going great, until early Sunday morning when a storm blew in and soaked us with a steady rain for about 4-5 hours. Since we were catching the wind off of the lake, the rain often blew in from all directions.

I closed my tarp doors and stayed completely dry. Even better still, while everyone else was steaming in their tents (my wife included), I swayed gently in the breeze...I even got up and made a cup of tea to sip on. Had it not been for my tarp mod by 2QZQ, I would have ended up wet for sure!

Needless to say, everyone was both amazed and envious. It started to rain a little bit again later, and guess who made a bee line for my hammock. Yep, you guessed it, my spousal unit jumped right in my spot and refused to get out.

...yep, those are her feet under that tarp, as she's sitting in my hammock. I was forced to retreat to her tent. Oh well, at least I was able to take a nap and drool on her pillow!
    we did Long Island on LG a couple of years ago, and was hit with a storm, the wind in a storm off the lake are brutal! We had a tree top snap off and come down on 1 of the tents (no body in it TG) hubby did get hit with some of the branches and was evacted off the island. He was fine in the end. but that ended his Island camping day. Glad no one was hurt and your tarp did its job!
    formally known as "carolb"
    Spread the love baby, Spread the Love!
    Get the Ketchup!

Hammock
    ENO DN w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by carolb View Post
    we did Long Island on LG a couple of years ago, and was hit with a storm, the wind in a storm off the lake are brutal! We had a tree top snap off and come down on 1 of the tents (no body in it TG) hubby did get hit with some of the branches and was evacted off the island. He was fine in the end. but that ended his Island camping day. Glad no one was hurt and your tarp did its job!
    carolb,
    Yeah, I was amazed at just how windy it can become; the canopy that was put up almost blew out into the lake...pulled up stakes and all! Sorry to hear about your hubby's experience, but glad to know everything turned out o.k.

Cheers,
    Mickey

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12