Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Insulation between hammock and underquilt

So, I am pretty new to the hammock thing. I have read that a windproof layer between the underquilt and the hammock will help keep you warm. I have also read that a space blanket will help by reflecting back radiated body heat. So what if I found something that did both.

Diamond Living LLC makes a hardwood floor underlayment material that is a layer of space blanket material (mylar I think) attached to a thin layer of neoprene.

Would this work? It would be a cheap and light insulation solution. You can get a 50'x4' roll for $49.00 or about $6.25 for a 4'x 6'4" piece. It is very light and would be fairly tough. What do you guys think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmac View Post
    So, I am pretty new to the hammock thing. I have read that a windproof layer between the underquilt and the hammock will help keep you warm. I have also read that a space blanket will help by reflecting back radiated body heat. So what if I found something that did both.

Diamond Living LLC makes a hardwood floor underlayment material that is a layer of space blanket material (mylar I think) attached to a thin layer of neoprene.

Would this work? It would be a cheap and light insulation solution. You can get a 50'x4' roll for $49.00 or about $6.25 for a 4'x 6'4" piece. It is very light and would be fairly tough. What do you guys think?
    If it is very flexible, and cut to the right dimensions, it should work. But what is the weight? A $3, 2 or 3 oz space blanket is already wind and water proof, though it adds no insulation other than as a radiant blocker. So are ccf pads, more or less.

Good questions. It's essentially the same material that scuba suits are made of (only thinner) so it's definitely flexible. It's only 2 mm thick so it is actually very light--no more than a couple of ounces. It would be lighter and more compact that the CCF pad. The value I see with the neoprene is that it would be easier to position and to keep from slipping around and balling up.
    Last edited by Dmac; 07-07-2011 at 15:03.

what I will do in colder times is to use a construction grade trash bag (ie a BF plastic bag) as a pack liner and as the wind blocker between the UQ and the hammock in the torso area - I have a smallish sit pad I use for my feet so I don't need the wind blocker all the way down to my feet

wrt radiant heat reflection - I don't think this is of much value when the reflector is in direct contact with the hammock fabric and the only gains are in the blocking of the wind

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    What do you guys think?

I think that if you buy a roll, I'll buy some from you.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0dl + DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    SPE & Sum Phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    What do you guys think?

I just might too..

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    what I will do in colder times is to use a construction grade trash bag (ie a BF plastic bag) as a pack liner and as the wind blocker between the UQ and the hammock in the torso area - I have a smallish sit pad I use for my feet so I don't need the wind blocker all the way down to my feet

wrt radiant heat reflection - I don't think this is of much value when the reflector is in direct contact with the hammock fabric and the only gains are in the blocking of the wind
    What do you attribute the very noticeable and instant warmth boost many of us notice when adding a space blanket to a HHSS? Just vapor barrier effect? ( might be )

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    What do you guys think?

I'll take you up on that if you're really interested and if there are a few others. I don't mind spending money, but there is no way I'll ever use 50' of the stuff

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Neoprene is comparatively heavy stuff, but only 2mm might be light enough. It might work better as a pad, since it might not drape well, but we'll see...

I've had success laying an unsultex layer in my UQ, it's $7/yd and weighs almost nothing for a piece that's 36"x60, it's less than 2 oz...

Let us know how it works out!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    'Twould make an awesome koozie.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast