Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    I'm going to try and create two pockets out of the bottom fabric that gets cut in half down the centre, then fold and stuff with more down so the total width can be up to say 50" if you want it to be that wide.

BTW, where can I get good down to match what's already in there?

Thanks MAD777. Think I will pull the trigger on this today.

Hammock
    90 Degree Gamma UL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Danalex View Post
    I'm going to try and create two pockets out of the bottom fabric that gets cut in half down the centre, then fold and stuff with more down so the total width can be up to say 50" if you want it to be that wide.

BTW, where can I get good down to match what's already in there?
    You could just use Primaloft or Climashield instead of down for those sections (the Top Bag AR uses Primaloft under the footbox). Otherwise Wilderness Logics has 800+ down.

Steve

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Actually like that idea, then there wouldn't be a need to make any baffles to keep the down in position.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl HB noseeum modified
    Tarp
    WB BMJ, HH hex
    Insulation
    winter incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I suggest trying it as is first.(after splitting the back that is. I think its plenty wide for hammmocking.

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

RAB Quantum Pertex Tob Bag conversion

I saw this thread a while ago and took the plunge on this bag. It arrived three days later. (+1 for good shipping) The box was quite large but only weighed 2.2lbs according to the shipping label (that includes the box it was shipped in) the bag comes with a great ultra-light stuff sack and a large white "cotton?" storage bag.
    The top bag is super light and was comfy enough as it was but that is not why I bought it.

Step one is to remove the draw cord in the top opening. The plastic pull snaps apart and the knot in the shock cord can be undone. Next remove the plastic pull and finally remove the shock cord from the channel. (Note: there is a small captured cord lock dead center on the edge of the opening; I left it in place so I could later add my own draw cord.)

Next step is to turn the bag over and find the center of the non-insulated part. This is a single layer of the Pertex fabric. I measured it at 21 1/2 inches and marked the center at 10 3/4 inches. I used a white Crayon because that’s what I had on hand. It worked pretty well.

After finding the center I repeated the process of measuring side to side, divide in half and mark the center about six times all the way down the single layer. Then I just connected the dots. In this photo the line looks terrible but it really was straight, the bag was lofting back out from me kneeling on it.

Here comes the scary part: FIRST BLOOD! After this part there is no going back. I used my wife’s kitchen scissors because they were the best ones in the house. The plan here was to just cut down the line as straight and clean as I could. What I ended up doing was sitting on my butt with my legs down inside the bag and I used them to spread the bag open to keep tension on the fabric while I cut (note: if you're planning on folding/sewing this cut edge you could probably be a little faster with the cutting than I was.)

And here we have the entire cut made. I stopped about 6 inches short of the insulated footbox just in case my stitching tears out I will have a little fabric left to work with. As you can see, once opened up this make a good sized top quilt, 60 inches across the opening with 40 inches of insulation.

And lastly the UGLY part (I make claims to be a seamstress or have any practical experience with sewing) But if you ask me, that "stich" will hold.

And lastly I heat sealed the raw edges with a lighter. (Note: Pertex burns FAST, keep the flame away from the material and just use the radiant heat)

UPDATE:
    I finally got to use the top quilt. I hung in the back yard last night with temps dipping into the 50 degree range. I was WARM and toasty all night long on the top. My DIY PLUQ on the other hand was a different story. I slept in wool hiking sock, athletic t-shirt similar to under armor and cotton shorts. Also I am 5'10 180lbs and this bag will cover completely over my head when my feet bottom out the foot box. The 40 inch wide insulation was plenty wide enough for me, it covered my top and wrapped around the sides and my UQ also wrapped up on the sides. Packed size could have been smaller, but I don't think the company want's you to compress this to much. For size reference I have in order the WBBB, RAB top bag, WB BMJ tarp. Also I have noticed this fabric seams to leak a little bit of down. Nothing that has me to worried just something I noticed. This project was very easy to do and worked out really well.
    Last edited by dangerous; 09-05-2011 at 17:53.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    DIY insulated
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    I picked up one of these recently also.

I cut the back and hemmed the material.
    The resulting extra "tuck" material can be nice when changing positions in the middle of the night.

At about 5' 7" and 150# the quilt is plenty large for me.

I used it on a 4 night trip this weekend, and enjoyed it very much.

Temps got to about 50 on 2 nights, with rain and wind and it is plenty warm in those conditions. I was wearing thin nylon pants and a thin merino top.

I will report back after testing it at lower temps soon.

Hammock
    BIAS
    Tarp
    MYOG Cuben
    Insulation
    RAb;3s incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Just cut one and it is plenty long enough for me. And I'm 6'4"

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tupelo View Post
    Just cut one and it is plenty long enough for me. And I'm 6'4"
    I'm 6"2'. The length looked fine. I was more worried about width as stock TQs are 48-50" wide.

How is the width? I know someone else measure theirs at 40". How does it fit a larger guy like yourself though?

Hammock
    BIAS
    Tarp
    MYOG Cuben
    Insulation
    RAb;3s incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I think it is going to be fine in the hammock with my UQ. I'm 190lbs, not real road at the shoulders. I cut the center out of the back leaving about 6 inch down each side, but I left the top intact with the shock cord and couple inches below it to pull over my head, then then used lighter on the cut edge then sewed a seam around the edges.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast