Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings

First hang in the yard!

I got my new Hennessy Expedition Zip yesterday and spent the rest of the day working with it. I traded out the stock lines for Amsteel whoopie slings. I had also ordered long tree straps from Arrowhead but my trees were small enough for use with the stock Hennessy straps (I do hike in areas with big timber).

So, much fiddling and a lot to learn. The information provided in these forums was a HUGE aid. I can see that getting the hang right will take some experience. I knew it would take several tries and I experimented with strap height on the tree, line angle and tautness, climbing in and out of the hammock until I understood the relationship and geometry of the hang. I got used to the asymmetrical design after some trial and error.

I have all kinds of sleeping pads and I also have a big roll of 5mm EVA foam. I cut a pad based on the dimensions for the Hennessy radiant pad and used that for my first night "off the ground." I can see why many prefer double-layer hammocks for use with CCF pads. I'm going to cut another with some wings. I can see an UQ in my future.

I piled into the hammock with my pad and 32F synthetic fill mummy bag. I quickly found out that it is easier to get into the bag before or as you get in the hammock. The pad wrinkled a bit at first, but took a curve and molded to my shape as it warmed up.

I was surprised how well the hammock supported my back. I was worried about getting the wrong curve in my lower back and found that the opposite was true--- the fabric provided the proper support and was quite comfortable.

I set up with my satellite radio, a book, and a Black Diamond Orbit LED lantern hanging from the ridge line. I have a Cocoon Ultralight air pillow and that worked well. I didn't need much air in it-- just a little change in head angle was enough.

I slept well--- better than any night on the ground with a hiking-style pad. I did wake up a few times, with a couple "where am I?" moments. The gentle sway of the hammock was nice, but it was a different sensation in those twilight sleep moments. It reminds me of a water bed. I'm normally a side sleeper, but I found sleeping on my back easy and I did find a kind of half-way side position that was comfortable too.

I do want to get a larger tarp. The stock asym tarp looks fine for light rain, and I did get some overnight. It was raining when I got up and didn't realize it as I had been listening to the radio with earphones. I have an 8x10 cat-cut tarp in mind and I can use that for ground camping too, I use a Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape poncho shelter now, so converting to another tarp is easy for me. No doubt, the 8x10 will make for better shelter in heavier weather.

Conclusion: I like it! I'm looking forward to a hike with the hammock ASAP.

Hammock
    ENO Pronest w/ Continuous Loop
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season 11x10
    Insulation
    MB Bag, Neo-Air
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Congrats on your first hang! Let us know how that first hike goes.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hope it hooks ya'.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    straps/whoopie sli
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleW View Post
    I can see an UQ in my future.

I set up with my satellite radio, a book, and a Black Diamond Orbit LED lantern hanging from the ridge line. I have a Cocoon Ultralight air pillow and that worked well..

I do want to get a larger tarp.
    Conclusion: I like it! I'm looking forward to a hike with the hammock ASAP.
    My friend you have been bitten by the gear bug,,,,You already started and you didn't even realize it. Next a tarp, then snake skins ,dutch clips,dutch hooks, top quilts and under quilts two each one for winter and the other for summer,,man the list goes on but you will love the process and will see yourself waiting for the mail or u.p.s while chewing your fingernails .

hang safe and have a great time

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings

Gear bug? Moi?

Quote Originally Posted by tiredhiker View Post
    My friend you have been bitten by the gear bug,,,,
    hang safe and have a great time
    Oh my friend, this is just another small chapter in my gear mania. I've found out late in life that I should have been an industrial designer.

I come to hammocks via ultralight backpacking. There's also photography, personal computers, audio gear, radios, and more. Hammocks are easy

And thanks!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    DaleW, congrats on your first hang. I use my sleeping bags as a TQ. Unzip your bag down to the footbox and then put your feet in. Then just put the rest of the bag over your top and tuck in your shoulders if you need to. Check out the TQs here for the idea:

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Rectangular%20Quilts.htm

You'll enjoy moving up to a UQ. I had mine on Wednesday night by itself and was too hot until around 2 AM, when it dropped down to the mid 50*s. I could see the stars until the clouds moved it and it started raining again yesterday. When is summer supposed to show up around here???

I'm planning to get up to Snow Lake and Barclay again this summer with my kids.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Glad to hear you liked it Dale! (knew you would)
    I find myself scratching my head now, wondering why I slept on the ground for decades, oblivious to the obvious

To shrink and lighten up your total kit, ditch the sleeping bag for a top quilt. Eventually, you will find that underquilts are more comfy than pads (I like the partial underquilt plus leg pad), but the pads will work just fine in the mean time.

Tarps can be suprisingly small and still keep you dry in the hammock. I have made some tarps that barely entend past the perimeter of the hammock and they keep me dry - the trick is to nail the tarp down tight on the hammock. But, if I expect continuous rain, I bring a larger tarp so that I can lounge underneath it. Then I can stay dry sitting up, cooking, changing clothes, etc. while enjoying a view with the tarp in "porch mode."

Happy hanging!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Awesome! I hope to get my first hang in soon too

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings

Tarps in the upper left hand corner of the map

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Tarps can be surprisingly small and still keep you dry in the hammock. I have made some tarps that barely end past the perimeter of the hammock and they keep me dry - the trick is to nail the tarp down tight on the hammock. But, if I expect continuous rain, I bring a larger tarp so that I can lounge underneath it. Then I can stay dry sitting up, cooking, changing clothes, etc. while enjoying a view with the tarp in "porch mode."

Happy hanging!
    I live in Western Washington. Rain is a given and the Cascades can be a real puzzle factory for weather. The tarp on the Hennessy is fine, but I wouldn't want to take on a long night with wind and rain. I can see where you can tuck it down like a lid on a pot. Adding an 8x10 tarp gives me 2 person ground coverage or a day in the drizzle with a hammock, so it fills an empty niche in the ol' gear locker too.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1, SB 1.9 SL
    Tarp
    BMJ, Custom Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    It took me a little getting used to, but the hammock is SOOOOOOOOO much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. Or some beds for that matter.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast