Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by obxh2o View Post
    I've traded my Minnesota Boundary Waters trip for ten days of camping with my son in Arizona ... in early August.

2) if I need to go to ground in my WBBB 1.7 DL, do I need to be concerned about scorpions snuggling up next to me at night?

3) am I crazy to trade Minnesota for Arizona in early August?

2)Yes, but if you're inside the netting you should be fine. Bring a mini black light to spot them at night if you're really worried. They fluoresce in it.

3) I'd probably go to minnesota instead, but I live in AZ. So I think you're crazy. Come back in October; you may never leave.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dukedante View Post
    2)Yes, but if you're inside the netting you should be fine. Bring a mini black light to spot them at night if you're really worried. They fluoresce in it.
    I find one of the mini "Scorpion Lights" is really handy for midnight tree watering excursions. Its enough to light your way, and really helps stepping in the wrong place...

--Kurt

Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog
    Look at some Google maps, not satelite pictures, for your destinations then pull up weather reports for the nearby towns. At weatherunderground.com, the altitudes of the weather stations are listed.

Your first list is of destinations high enough to have nice temperatures and tall trees, so take your time to acclimate. 7000' is much higher than most of Minnesota. The bad news is you have to go that high to have comfortable temperatures in August.

Patagonia is known for its birding during three seasons, but you might fry an egg on the sidewalk there in the summertime.

If you can take the heat, the Sonoran Desert Museum in Tucson is a thorough zoo of the local fauna, many in natural looking enclosures. Where else can you take a photo of a coatimundi, a javelina, a mountain lion, and a jaguar in half a day? Count the number of scorpion and rattlesnake species on display. Check in advance, one show there (free with the $$ admission fee) is performed by a family of tamed Harris hawks. Raised in captivity, they fly outdoors to the handler to get their tidbit of raw chicken. You are standing about ten feet away, so you duck when one of those hawks with a 3-4 foot wingspan comes in about a foot over your head. They hunt as a family, not usual for hawks, with the junior ones flying low to scare game that the following senior ones harvest.

Happy hanging to you in the high country.
    Last edited by heyyou; 07-13-2011 at 22:51. Reason: Reason for editing? Is that a trade like food for thought?

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Hmmm... I'm going to spend a few days at the Orme ranch in Mayer... (Dugas Rd, off hwy 17...) I wonder if there's a canyon I can go explore for a night...

Great idea!

John in San Diego
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    Hmmm... I'm going to spend a few days at the Orme ranch in Mayer... (Dugas Rd, off hwy 17...) I wonder if there's a canyon I can go explore for a night...

Great idea!

John in San Diego
    sycamore canyon, parson's spring trail. its a favorite. and for good reason: check out this recent photoset: http://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=15991
    this old video we shot after a few shots was in Sycamore Canyon (second largest in AZ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5y5ggZUVTA
    you gotta go!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by te-wa View Post
    sycamore canyon, parson's spring trail. its a favorite. and for good reason: check out this recent photoset: http://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=15991
    this old video we shot after a few shots was in Sycamore Canyon (second largest in AZ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5y5ggZUVTA
    you gotta go!
    That's AMAZING! Too bad it's far south of where I'll be...

Any good places I can overnight in Agua Fria? (and is there any Agua?)
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    you can either go to the big dipper, although it can get hot on the hike out.. http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=9 but there is a great swimming hole(s)
    or you can check out agua fria: http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=533 personally, id take the time to get into higher elevations - like Mingus mtn area.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12