Switchback
    Tarp
    DIY or SpinnUL BMJ
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by dukedante View Post
    So, if the idea is to actually "Pay it Forward" then it doesn't really matter if someone claims something expensive and then puts up something cheaper, because you have done your part. There isn't supposed to be an increasing appraisal for each item put up. You do your part and hope for the blessing to be passed on. If that's a problem for someone, then they shouldn't participate. Goodwill has no strings attached, otherwise it's a bribe.
    This, exactly.

Knitting has been one of my hobbies for a while and I would much rather give a handknit item away to someone who will appreciate it and use/wear it over being asked by people if I am willling to sell an item. Chances are they wouldn't be willing to pay what the item is actually worth. If that makes sense.

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    and thats why this place is great there canoexist. im working on a surprise in the same vein as PIF after all the kindness shown to me. i think of HF as a class discussion. if you dont want to contribute, thats fine, but then you dont get full credit(like PIF for example, and OT threads.) and benefits. i hope all that come here learn something, then try to go do something with that and share what they did.

heck, i thought i was being original when i came up with a single line hammock suspension & tarp. nope, but i was applying what i learned here.

just think, someone had to figure out the whoopie sling, the ridgeline, coke can stoves etc...
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    The minimum post count is all about letting the members get to know you through your posts before participating in PIFs. We had some problems with folks signing up just to claim PIFs, so setting a required the post count was the most reasonable solution. The rule isn't directed 'at' anyone. But as a forum wide rule it keeps things running more smoothly.

The PIF-thread is open to members regardless of donation status. The two aren't linked at all.

We feel that folks should donate if they want to support the forum itself, not solely to 'gain access' to any of the perks.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images
    So, if the idea is to actually "Pay it Forward" then it doesn't really matter if someone claims something expensive and then puts up something cheaper, because you have done your part. There isn't supposed to be an increasing appraisal for each item put up. You do your part and hope for the blessing to be passed on. If that's a problem for someone, then they shouldn't participate. Goodwill has no strings attached, otherwise it's a bribe.
    A few of us put up items without claiming anything. It is very disconcerting to those of us who care about paying it forward to see people abusing the system(ie: making multiple claims with no return pifs, putting up something that is not even worth the cost of shipping, or not making sure the person who claimed your pif recieved it). Someone stated in the first thread if you want to give something away for free, post it as such, but that is not what this thread is about. The expectation is that your goodwill will be passed along, hence: "pay it forward." This thread has strings attached they are called rules.
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

I am a donating member, I think I am less than 15 posts and have been lurking for a while. I had plans to buy my WBBB in June that didn't pan out due to a few surprises here and there. It's still in the works.

I was watching the PIF for anything interesting but haven't been paying much attention to it lately and just realized it may have been gone due to my post count.

In the end.. I am trying to build a stand for a hammock so I can use what I have. Good things come to those that wait, and I have nothing good to give away just yet.

Edit: Apparently I have 31 posts. who knew...

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I understand why the mods did it. I participated on several PIFs in the old thread. Posted a PIF after having confirmed that an individual would send me something... I shipped my item in good faith, and the item promised to me never arrived, and several of our peers are in the same boat. I'm not out anything I wouldn't have given away anyway, but it's the principal of the thing.

The moderators had to make a decision on how to move this concept forward, and maintain a fair system. I applaud them for making a decision. Over time, evidence of proper behaviors may cause them to tweak the process, but for now, it is what it is...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Well, first of all I believe the PIF thread has become a barter system and that all barter systems need rules.

Second, I also believe people have a right to express their discontent if they feel their generosity has been taken advantage of. If I give something away, that person now has the right to use, enjoy, dispose of, or do whatever they want with my gift; but I did not give away my right to express my opinion.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Hi my dear California friend! I agree with you 100%. Your always good with your words.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    I understand why the mods did it. I participated on several PIFs in the old thread. Posted a PIF after having confirmed that an individual would send me something... I shipped my item in good faith, and the item promised to me never arrived, and several of our peers are in the same boat. I'm not out anything I wouldn't have given away anyway, but it's the principal of the thing.

The moderators had to make a decision on how to move this concept forward, and maintain a fair system. I applaud them for making a decision. Over time, evidence of proper behaviors may cause them to tweak the process, but for now, it is what it is...

John

NWGA, the Rome/Floyd county area. Johns Mt. Wilderness area is an old stomping ground.
    Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth, gathered end 12x5
    Tarp
    DIY silnyl 10x12
    Insulation
    depends...
    Suspension
    MULETAPE!!!
    I was surprised when I saw the minimum post count, but took it on faith that it was a considered decision. So now I no longer lurk but instead say things that may be useful or useless but hopefully never offensive.

Hammock
    blackbird
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    yeti
    Suspension
    web/cinchbuckle/DC
    Images
    I believe HF is a special place which has been created and carefully nurtured by the mods and members. I respect the mod's decision on the PIF rules. I have been active in the PIF's and have received some wonderful items from others. I like to think I gave as good as I got. I have only been burned once. So, my belief in human nature is confirmed, 90% of the people I interacted with came through. I currently have a very nice backpack up on the current PIF, hint, hint ...... obviously, I intend to keep using the PIF. I find it kinda fun to give and get camping gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123