Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Sleeping bag expander-- for big people

I just came across a device made for / by Big Agnes they call a "Wedgie."
    Comes in two lengths for two typical sleeping bag (sb) zipper lengths.

Simple, but too damned expensive: A 50"-60" V shaped down-filled draft tube with zipper halves that mate to the zipper halves on the sb .

I just mistakenly bought a fine 20 degree bag......for some narrower people. I intend to use it as top quilt. 59" at shoulders should be plenty / too much width in a hammock. But for other uses of the bag, this expander might be the ticket to make a trade unnecessary.

Any experience here? Are sb zipper's standard enough so one or 2 products would be compatible across bag mfgs?

I wonder if there might be enough demand for one of the cottage industries to make a product with same function. Or knowledge to tell me not to bother even trying one.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

Probably not

I've got probably a dozen sleeping bags if I do enough digging in the gear closet. I can safely say that there aren't two of them that have the same zipper. Some have individual teeth while others are the self-repairing coil type. I have a few different sizes depending on the bag/mfg as well as length. Unless you're buying this "wedgie" from the specific manufacturer for a particular bag I think you're going to have problems.

If it's a good bag then you're probably better off just trying to unload it here and use the funds to help purchase a bag that fits or a quilt.

Good Luck

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Zippers a such a pain in the kiester. There is absolutely no standard between brands except for the sizing names. #5 zipper is 5mm across the teeth when closed. Beyond that virtually everything is proprietary. The thickness of the teeth.. the offset of the teeth in back.. the type of teeth/coil... you name it... it ain't standard. _If_ you know the brand of the zipper and the it matches the brand on the extender.. (Like from the same manufacturer) it _might_ match. But there is no assurance that it will.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Stock Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HHSS, JRB WntrNest
    Suspension
    HH Stock Rope
    Images
    bIG Agnes wedgie WILL DEF. WORK WITH BIG AGNES bags that they recommend. can't say about others. would be a bad gamble. i have a BA bag/pad and like it.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The assumption is that YKK #X zippers will mate with other YKK #X zippers of the same length and style. This only works for toothed separating zippers. You can not mate and separate coil zippers without doing a Frankenstien/Rube Goldberg arrangement. _If_ your current bag and the extender both have a toothed separating YKK #5 zipper of such and such a length in theory you will be fine. If not... with a toothed separating zipper of another brand all bets are off. It might work... it might not.

If you have a coil zipper on the current bag you can not use it at all.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Thanks all. I know not to expect a general solution and not necessarily a custom one, either.

Next available weekday I'll take the sleeping bag to a fabric shop that's been in business for 60+ years, and see if they / I can mate the bag's YKK zipper halves with a zipper they have in stock.

I'll report back, and consider a custom fix if that is feasible. I suspect that after the freedom of movement of a summer top quilt in a hammock, the bag is going to seem way too restrictive anymore for use as a sb, however much reasonable weight I shed.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 07-09-2011 at 21:28.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 5.0
    Tarp
    Skjold 10
    Insulation
    Fjol

Any updates?

DemostiX,

I have the same problem/situation you brought up in this article. Did you resolve the problem? ...find something that would work? ...have a solution custom-made?

Any help appreciated!

Tim

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Once free to move in a hammock w top quilt

I lost interest in expanding the bag. I see that Western Mountaineering recognizes that some would their mummy bags be larger, so a couple of their models are larger twins of previous ones.

Related to this thread is my TQ for a chilly but rarely freezing November in Oregon. I opened the back of one of the RAB top bags that was discussed here -- a sleeping bag with just fabric on the bottom except for a fully enclosed and insulated foot box. Expectation is that the user would like in a pad and his body. Or just his body, and then lay on a pad. I, instead, slit and sealed the fabric to just below the neck, leaving an intact collar. I can then step into the footbox, pull the collar around my neck, to keep the the bag / quilt over me, and yet have freedom of movement between and neck and knees.

• + New Posts