Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings

Cheap hammock as an under cover?

Brainstorming out loud here-- I was watching a video on the Hennessy insulation system. I have a GT Ultralight hammock that is a simple channel design and it struck me that it could be easily adapted to an under cover with a little shock cord and some mitten clips. My plan is to use it with a CCF foam pad and space blanket. The fabric isn't windproof like the silnylon, but it would hold the pad and space blanket in place.

The prime motivating factor is dollars-- the GT is $15 and I can still convert it back to a hammock for summer day hikes, etc.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by DaleW; 07-09-2011 at 11:38.

Hammock
    WB Traveller Dbl 1.7
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Certainly can't hurt to try it out and see!
    Mike

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    not to change the thread topic but I had thought about using the GTUL under my hammock as a gear storage. I dont know how waterproof it is to use it as a undercover though
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Right on topic to me and thanks for pointing it out. I wasn't concerned about waterproofness, but it is something to consider. With the GTUL as undercover, a foam pad and space blanket, the primary hammock (Hennessy Expedition) and an oversize tarp, I don't think much would get through.

A silnylon undercover would be more windproof too, but there are those three layers under my sleeping bag, making six layers of material between my backside and the cold night air, not including my clothing. An' doggonit, if that ain't enough, I should stay home!

It's all about dollars-- I don't own an undercover, but I do have the GTUL and it was all of $15 and it is 9 ounces without the hardware.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    oh I know what your saying man for sure. I saw on the eno website about them using something pretty much a light weight hammock under the enos for storage and I thought my GTUL would work great for that. I might try that this weekend and tell you how it worked but since I live in SC i dont really need any under insulation for awhile
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x10
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I did exactly what you suggest up until this season, when I purchased an UQ.
    You will want the ccf pad to be wide enough to insulate your shoulders also. I used a Speer SPE between the Hennessy and the cheapo hammock.

" I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Look through the forums and Ray Garlington's site for the "Garlington Insulator", this is the same concept- a hammock for insulation underneath your hammock.

It works well, it was my primary extended insulation for my first couple years hanging in colder weather. It gets a bit "fiddly" though, and I find a double-layer hammock or UQ is generally faster to set up.

As always: HYOH and give it a try!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleW View Post
    Right on topic to me and thanks for pointing it out. I wasn't concerned about waterproofness, but it is something to consider. With the GTUL as undercover, a foam pad and space blanket, the primary hammock (Hennessy Expedition) and an oversize tarp, I don't think much would get through.

A silnylon undercover would be more windproof too, but there are those three layers under my sleeping bag, making six layers of material between my backside and the cold night air, not including my clothing. An' doggonit, if that ain't enough, I should stay home!

It's all about dollars-- I don't own an undercover, but I do have the GTUL and it was all of $15 and it is 9 ounces without the hardware.
    Do it, Bro! It will work. Yes, as it is not sil-nylon, it will not give the waterproof/windproof barrier of the HHSS. But if you are going to put a ccf pad and sb in there, those will be pretty much wind proof( and even somewhat WP) anyway. You can also spray it with some DWR the way Ed Speer has described.

You can put other types of insulation in there, like a spare down bag, and it will be breathable. Fit may be a problem, especially in the legs and will probably require some experimenting. But you could just use it to insulate your torso and put a separate pad under your legs inside the hammock.

It is worth experimenting with. Add some shockcord as needed, sewing on a few extra loops also as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by NewtonGT View Post
    oh I know what your saying man for sure. I saw on the eno website about them using something pretty much a light weight hammock under the enos for storage and I thought my GTUL would work great for that. I might try that this weekend and tell you how it worked but since I live in SC i dont really need any under insulation for awhile
    No, you need a hammock air conditioner!

Hammock
    HH Expedition zip, WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    stock, diy tarp
    Suspension
    stock
    Images
    It will work, I used an old pocket net hammock and used a 20* sleeping bag as insulation. I was warm as toast in 25*
    formally known as "carolb"
    Spread the love baby, Spread the Love!
    Get the Ketchup!

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    I have a net hammock that I was considering, but the GTUL will give a little better heat retention.

Others were posting about using a cheap hammock for storage and the cheapie net hammocks are perfect for that. Might be good for seating too.

As to insulation:
    I have a roll of 5mm blue foam that is 66" wide, so I can make a pad any width I need
    I also have a prototype synthetic fill sleeping bag that is basically a double sized comforter and it is begging to get cut up and made into an UQ.

Now, if you want to take this further, you could take a cheap hammock, throw a polyester bat in it and have an instant UQ. It would be easy to sew through with yarn in spots to keep the bat in place. If you wanted to fly a little higher, you could add Velcro tabs to the sides-- loops on the main hammock and hooks on the UQ side.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast