Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Asking for advice/assistance

I am disabled due to failed back surgery since 2004. I am just now able to walk for any length of time. I need to exercise to lose weight and help my diabetes. Since I am disabled, I am on a fixed income. Equipment and supplies are very expensive. My wife and I are hoping to go on our first overnight next weekend.
    I purchased 2 hammocks from Hammock Bliss, I got some amsteel and made whoopies. A kind person gave me a used optimus crux stove and I have 2 IMUSA aluminum cups. I have a couple of pieces of Tvyek for tarps, if we need them and a couple of cheap, made in china backpacks to haul the stuff in.
    In your opinion, what do I need to get next?
    Understand that our income is such that my discretionary spending funds per month are only about $50.00. This makes it VERY hard to get equipment. Even trying to make some stuff myself is expensive, amsteel cost, ripstop nylon cost.
    I don't mean to depress anyone with a sob story. I am happy and as healthy as I can be. I am happily married and have a good outlook on life. I am and have been blessed.
    My intent is not to beg for stuff nor to make people feel sorry for me, but rather to explore the vast pool of knowledge here and see what I need to do now and what I need to prioritize for later.
    The hammocks are the only new items we have, should I try to save for bacpacks next or perhaps some decent tarps? Should I get some cooksets, what miscellaneous items should I get?
    Thanks for taking the time to read this post and thanks for all the great information I have already obtained from you guys. I appreciate it.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    I would save for insulation for the hammock.
    Not sure what your weather is like atm but being cold is a big downer.
    Glad your getting better and able to get out again!
    Welcome to the Forums.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    If your crafty you can do a lot of stuff as DIY projects and that will save you tons!
    Probably someone around you that would be willing to help show you how.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    You've got everything you "need". Tyvek for tarps is common around here. As a mobility impaired diabetic I hear your pain. My advice for now is stay close to the road. Go to the group hangs you can get to. Keep your emergency kit handy. I carry mine in a sporran of sorts. Make no bones or apologies about about the disability. You'd be amazed how many group hangs are virtual drive-ins. Course with gas what it is... getting there is another story.

I've never had any one take me to task for my inability to pack in. Well, once, but he meant no harm and doesn't know any better... He just refused to help me carry my pack out again. For good reason I might add.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    I opted for a large family and a job that I enjoy (read as "does not pay a whole lot"), so I understand what it's like to start a hammock camping setup with few resources. In fact I'm still scrounging around trying to lay hands on some tyvek, so you've got me beat there. Sounds like an underquilt is out of bounds for the time being, so I would suggest the $5-$6 Wally world blue pads for insulation. Some people like them just fine--I'm not one of those people, but I like it more than I like being cold .

Other than insulation, you sound like you're on your way. I think your positive outlook is not only commendable, but inspiring as well--your experiences hanging outdoors with your wife will be their own reward. Keep it up, and keep us updated.

Just out of curiosity, is your forum name inspired by the book Watership Down, the Marine Corps, a mixture of the two, or am I way off base again?
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'll second the Wallyworld CCF pads. Get two of them and if you don't have sleeping bags, get a couple of their $10 ones. If you have a Costco membership, you could get a decent sleeping bag there for about $30 each.

Check around thrift stores in your area for the backpacks and some cookwear. There is also a lot of items really cheap at garage sales or Craig's List. I got a new $280 backpack for my daughter for $80. I saw a whole ENO system (double hammock, bugnet, tarp, slapstraps pro) on Craig's List last week for $90. It had only been used one time.

You can make a decent penny stove for the cost of doing the job yourself. Check out a couple of youtube videos like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE6pmVtYZSQ&NR=1

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    I didnt notice in your list of equipment a bug net. There are cheaper options out there if you hunt for them. I am assuming your hammocks you bought dont have bug nets. Disregard if I am wrong. If you can buy the netting at a good price and you are a crafty sort and creative then a diy bug net could be cheap.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I've not been around or done as much hiking as the majority of the forum members here, but my limited experience has taught me a few things. Mind you, this is coming from someone who lives in Florida, where the weather gets below 50 degrees or so for about three months of the year--and that's the lows for the day.

Those disclaimers aside, what I've found for my priorities are:

1.) Comfortable shoes. I can't stress this enough. If your feet hurt, you won't want to walk. This is my primary want/need for backpacking.

2.) Comfortable clothing. You need to dress appropriately for the season, be it athletic shirts in the summer or sweatpants and a jacket in the "winter" (Florida, remember).

3.) A pack designed for your carry weight. I definitely recommend using an internal frame pack if you're going to be carrying more than about twenty pounds total on your back; the ability to transfer the weight to your hips instead of your shoulders is amazing.

4.) A comfortable sleep system. This includes things like rain protection, warmth (sleeping bags, topquilts, pads, etc.), and bug protection.

5.) Everything else.

From the sound of it, you have the sleep system covered, with the Tyvek and the hammocks. Do you have bug nets for them? I don't know where you live, but here in Florida, that's an absolute must if you don't want to die of exsanguination via mosquito overnight.

I don't know if you have comfy shoes, but if you don't, I recommend that that be your next purchase. They don't have to be expensive trail runners or high-end boots that will cost you an arm and a leg; I usually hike in $30 Wallyworld hiking sandal knock-offs that I find don't hurt my feet.

If you do have good shoes, the next thing that I would prioritize is a decent backpack. If you intend upon carrying a moderate amount of stuff, splurge a bit and get an internal frame pack. Again, here Wallyworld may come to your rescue; they offer a series of Outdoor Products packs that are in the $30 to $50 range. The waist belt fasteners are usually crap on these, but that's a $5 fix from most fabric stores. Look for the strap clasps for straps the same size as your waist belt from the fabric store, and you'll be able to find a better fastener for the belt. The packs are generally heavier than their pricier cousins for the same capacity, but they're also a third the price if not less.

For cooking, I recommend the freezer bag method. You take a ziplock bag full of dehydrated food (instant mashed potatoes with bacon bits are a favorite of mine), heat water in those cups you mentioned, and pour it into the bag. Take a watch/stocking cap and place the bag inside of it and let it sit for ten minutes. You now have a meal. Eat straight out of the bag, and you won't need any more dishes than you've already mentioned having (well, aside from a spoon or spork). I recommend looking for the freezer bags that have the extra material in the bottom; it makes it easier to eat out of the bag without it tipping over.

Something that I probably should have mentioned above is to make sure that you have a first-aid kit that is tailored to your needs, not anyone else's. It need not be elaborate: mine is just a few gauze pads, some New Skin (think superglue with an antibiotic mixed in--it works well as emergency sutures), some ibuprofen, some Sudafed, some duct tape (for blister prevention; it's wrapped around my water bottle), some Neosporin spray, and an Ace bandage. Depending on where I'm going, what time of year it is, and other factors, I usually include a bug spray bottle and/or some sunscreen in addition to those items.

Since you mentioned having special needs, make sure that they're taken care of in your first-aid kit. It may not ever be needed, but when you do need it, you're gonna really need it.

I hope some of this helps.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by otter46544 View Post
    I didnt notice in your list of equipment a bug net. There are cheaper options out there if you hunt for them. I am assuming your hammocks you bought dont have bug nets. Disregard if I am wrong. If you can buy the netting at a good price and you are a crafty sort and creative then a diy bug net could be cheap.
    The hammocks we got include a bug net. My wife was insistent upon that.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by timabababaluka View Post
    I opted for a large family and a job that I enjoy (read as "does not pay a whole lot"), so I understand what it's like to start a hammock camping setup with few resources. In fact I'm still scrounging around trying to lay hands on some tyvek, so you've got me beat there. Sounds like an underquilt is out of bounds for the time being, so I would suggest the $5-$6 Wally world blue pads for insulation. Some people like them just fine--I'm not one of those people, but I like it more than I like being cold .

Other than insulation, you sound like you're on your way. I think your positive outlook is not only commendable, but inspiring as well--your experiences hanging outdoors with your wife will be their own reward. Keep it up, and keep us updated.

Just out of curiosity, is your forum name inspired by the book Watership Down, the Marine Corps, a mixture of the two, or am I way off base again?
    You are only the second person that has caught my forum name. It is inspired by Watership Down. It is a play on Fiver's name in the rabbit language. Watership Down is my favorite book.
    I've seen the blue pads at walmart and they are within my budget. I'll give them a try. Thanks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast