Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    FLRider thanks for all your suggestions.
    Thank you for everyone else that offer tips and ideas. I REALLY appreciate it. I am now working on my priority list and I know some items I need to get/make.
    I'll post some pics and a report after our first trip.
    Thanks again guys.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    There are two WM blue pads...one is plain closed cell foam, and is 20" wide...not really wide enough. The other is sort of wafflated (yeah, I made that up!), and is 25" wide...much better for hammocks. Also, imo, it stays where you put it a little bit better than the smaller pad.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Have you considered military poncho liners for top insulation? You may already have one. But they are nice used as blankets and I've been studying on the idea that they could be doubled over and made into a light over quilt with a little sewing.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcakes View Post
    Have you considered military poncho liners for top insulation? You may already have one. But they are nice used as blankets and I've been studying on the idea that they could be doubled over and made into a light over quilt with a little sewing.
    No I haven't. That is something I'll look into. Thanks for the great idea.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    There are two WM blue pads...one is plain closed cell foam, and is 20" wide...not really wide enough. The other is sort of wafflated (yeah, I made that up!), and is 25" wide...much better for hammocks. Also, imo, it stays where you put it a little bit better than the smaller pad.
    I'm glad you told me that. I'm sure I would have picked the wrong one.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by hrairoorah View Post
    I purchased 2 hammocks from Hammock Bliss, I got some amsteel and made whoopies. A kind person gave me a used optimus crux stove and I have 2 IMUSA aluminum cups. I have a couple of pieces of Tvyek for tarps, if we need them and a couple of cheap, made in china backpacks to haul the stuff in.
    In your opinion, what do I need to get next?
    Insulation is one of my most expensive gear items and I don't see any on your list of gear. My cheapest under quilt is made with a used military poncho liner that I got at a Surplus store. It can be used just as is when you buy it because it's got tie-outs all around it. I just tied it under my hammock. But then I decided to sew some channels into it and added shockcord. This makes it super easy to hang under my hammock and didn't add that much more to the total cost. It is a bit heavyer than down quilts. And it's not thick enough for any cold weather hangs. But it will do well enough for any temps not going down close to freezing, say about 40 degrees or so.
    Do carry some kind of bottom insulation because sleeping cold is awful in a hammock.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    One thing that you may want to consider is a wood burning stove. The fuel is free, the materials are free, there are many designs that you can DIY. If you make a penny wood stove out of a tomato can, it will fit inside your IMUSA mug.

RE: wallyworld pads: The waffle type are wider and can be used without additional insulation for your shoulders. The flat ones are warmer as they are thicker uniformly. They are narrow enough that you will have to tape "wings" onto the sides for shoulder coverage, or make an SPE (segmented pad extender). IMHO there is no right or wrong WW pad, it's a matter of preference.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    One thing that you may want to consider is a wood burning stove. The fuel is free, the materials are free, there are many designs that you can DIY. If you make a penny wood stove out of a tomato can, it will fit inside your IMUSA mug.

RE: wallyworld pads: The waffle type are wider and can be used without additional insulation for your shoulders. The flat ones are warmer as they are thicker uniformly. They are narrow enough that you will have to tape "wings" onto the sides for shoulder coverage, or make an SPE (segmented pad extender). IMHO there is no right or wrong WW pad, it's a matter of preference.
    After reading your comment, I made a bushbuddy stove. I need to cut the cans down so that it fits in the IMUSA mug. I can't wait to give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by hrairoorah View Post
    After reading your comment, I made a bushbuddy stove. I need to cut the cans down so that it fits in the IMUSA mug. I can't wait to give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.
    I would pack the Optimus Crux stove or esbit fuel tablets just in case the homemade stove doesn't perform as hoped. I always pack esbit cubes whether it be because I've decided it to be my primary fuel or as a backup. I can use it for other purposes, not just for cooking. Four esbit cubes weigh much less than 4 onces of alcohol or a typical fuel canister and they pack extremely small and have never failed to light. During warm weather half a cube will simmer 2 cups of water which is hot enough for freezer bag cooking or coffee or cocoa. However, you will need a pot stand for your pot and those are super easy to make. As far as a "stove" for the esbit just find a flatish small rock to set the cube on, place your pot stand over it, wrap a windscreen around it (I use a Caldera Cone) and start heating your water. The height/thickness of the rock depends on the height of your pot stand. You want the flame to be around 2 to 2.5 inches below the bottom of the pot. Now, if you want fast no fiddle factor cooking than the canister or white gas stoves are the ticket.

Anyway, just my opinion.

KP

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KP View Post
    I would pack the Optimus Crux stove or esbit fuel tablets just in case the homemade stove doesn't perform as hoped. I always pack esbit cubes whether it be because I've decided it to be my primary fuel or as a backup. I can use it for other purposes, not just for cooking. Four esbit cubes weigh much less than 4 onces of alcohol or a typical fuel canister and they pack extremely small and have never failed to light. During warm weather half a cube will simmer 2 cups of water which is hot enough for freezer bag cooking or coffee or cocoa. However, you will need a pot stand for your pot and those are super easy to make. As far as a "stove" for the esbit just find a flatish small rock to set the cube on, place your pot stand over it, wrap a windscreen around it (I use a Caldera Cone) and start heating your water. The height/thickness of the rock depends on the height of your pot stand. You want the flame to be around 2 to 2.5 inches below the bottom of the pot. Now, if you want fast no fiddle factor cooking than the canister or white gas stoves are the ticket.

Anyway, just my opinion.

KP
    I definitely will pack the Optimus crux. I have 2 fuel canisters for it and plan on it being my main stove. The wood burner is a backup/test stove.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast