Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tie breaker WBBB or Switchback

I've heard excellent things about both of these. Unfortunately, I don't know anyway to try them out before purchase.

For those who have had the pleasure to lie in both what is the tie breaker that you would point out to one who can only afford one or the other?

Thanks for the suggestions

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL & Switchback
    Tarp
    Mega Ogee & OES 4S
    Insulation
    Way too many
    Suspension
    WBBB Web Strap
    Alejandro,

Where do you live in Atlanta. I live in Woodstock and own both. Would be glad to get together and let you try both.

My wife and I live near Vinings, but I am out of town for two more weeks. I would really appreciate the help in making an informed decision.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    It would be great to try them both, group hangs are great for this.

However, as owner of both, I'll offer my personal observations.
    1. Do you backpack or car camp? The Blackbird is lighter and packs smaller, good for backpacking, irrelevant for car camping.
    2. Are you a back sleeper like a mummy or a tossing & turning side sleeper? If you are a side sleeper, the choice is simple - Switchback! The Blackbird is too confining. On the other hand, if you're a mummy, the Blackbird is the best coffin you're going to find.

Personally, I'm a toss & turn back sleeper, it's the Switchback for me, even though I hate carrying the extra weight in my backpack.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Hammocks I have now or have previously owned:
    1.0 dbl WBBB
    1.1 dbl WBBB - own now
    1.7 dbl WBBB
    1.1 dbl Switchback Light Hiker - own now
    1.1 dbl Switchback - own now

I LOVE the Blackbird design overall. I don't like the wall of fabric on my right when laying there, but the shelf is beyond that wall of fabric, and the shelf it simply awesome. L LOVE the footbox and the way the hammock sets you up for a diagonal lie. I HATE the calf ridge that is present when laying in the hammock. I can't get rid of it. I cannot sleep for any long period of time due to the discomfort the ridge causes. I'm still fiddling with the Blackbird, trying to get a repeatable perfect set-up using a 2nd structural ridge line (that is for another thread). I'm not ready to give up on the Blackbird yet.

I LOVE the Switchback design overall as well. Where the Blackbird seems "modern" the Switchback seems "simple" and sometimes simple is awesome. The things I love best about the Switchback series:

• ZERO calf ridge
    • Netting can be raised out of the way
    • Hammock can be flipped for a "netless" hang if desired
    • No designated head end
    • Zippers on both sides of the hammock
    • Requires MUCH LESS tinkering to get a great hang every time. It likes to be hung tighter than a Blackbird, and tighter is easier (at least to me)

I'm still trying to figure out a way to build and attach some sort of hanging bag/stuff sack that I can use that will be similar to the Blackbird shelf.

When it comes down to it, we hang because we want to relax comfortably and sleep well while enjoying the great outdoors (or indoors). For me, at this point and time, the Switchback provides the best comfort.

It's a hard choice without trying both out. The nice thing is that you can buy one, try it out, and if it isn't your fit you can sell it on the forums really quick, then order the other one. Hang Your Own Hang.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    It would be great to try them both, group hangs are great for this.

However, as owner of both, I'll offer my personal observations.
    1. Do you backpack or car camp? The Blackbird is lighter and packs smaller, good for backpacking, irrelevant for car camping.
    2. Are you a back sleeper like a mummy or a tossing & turning side sleeper? If you are a side sleeper, the choice is simple - Switchback! The Blackbird is too confining. On the other hand, if you're a mummy, the Blackbird is the best coffin you're going to find.

Personally, I'm a toss & turn back sleeper, it's the Switchback for me, even though I hate carrying the extra weight in my backpack.
    Mike,

Thanks for the feedback. To answer your questions...

1. Yes, although I don't care to admit to the latter we have friends we really like that won't go any other way.
    2. I recall doing a little of everything when we had the old apartment that allowed us to hang my Mayan non-spreader. I wouldn't have thought, possible out of a bit of ignorance that the way one sleeps in a bed would translate very well to how one would hanging. I guess that was kind of silly of me.

Thanks again,

a
    Last edited by Alejandro 10; 07-09-2011 at 16:25.

Quote Originally Posted by ^shane^ View Post
    Hammocks I have now or have previously owned:
    I HATE the calf ridge that is present when laying in the hammock. I can't get rid of it. I cannot sleep for any long period of time due to the discomfort the ridge causes. I'm still fiddling with the Blackbird, trying to get a repeatable perfect set-up using a 2nd structural ridge line (that is for another thread). I'm not ready to give up on the Blackbird yet.

I LOVE the Switchback design overall as well. Where the Blackbird seems "modern" the Switchback seems "simple" and sometimes simple is awesome. The things I love best about the Switchback series:

• ZERO calf ridge
    • Netting can be raised out of the way
    • Hammock can be flipped for a "netless" hang if desired
    • No designated head end
    • Zippers on both sides of the hammock
    • Requires MUCH LESS tinkering to get a great hang every time. It likes to be hung tighter than a Blackbird, and tighter is easier (at least to me)
    Shane, or any other qualified individual out there...

What is this calf ridge business all about? Is there a seam that you are referring to?

Thanks,

a

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    I have had both for a couple seasons now. I just returned from a 5 day trip on the Yampa River, through Dinosaur Nat'l Monument. They both are great hammocks but I am slightly favoring the SB due to it's flexibility and openness. It was a little challenging to hang on this river, and the SB seems to require more space than the WBBB, but we managed to have decent hangs at a different camp each night. I used the WBBB every night because I could never get my wife out of the SB.

P.S. The calf ridge seems to develope when you extend you legs into the footbox. Sometimes I notice it and sometimes not. I use a sit pad under my knees.
    Last edited by Scottybdiving; 07-09-2011 at 17:09.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottybdiving View Post
    I have had both for a couple seasons now. I just returned from a 5 day trip on the Yampa River, through Dinosaur Nat'l Monument. They both are great hammocks but I am slightly favoring the SB due to it's flexibility and openness. It was a little challenging to hang on this river, and the SB seems to require more space than the WBBB, but we managed to have decent hangs at a different camp each night. I used the WBBB every night because I could never get my wife out of the SB.

P.S. The calf ridge seems to develope when you extend you legs into the footbox. Sometimes I notice it and sometimes not. I use a sit pad under my knees.
    Hey. How was the Yampa. I'm impressed that you found a spot to hang two hammocks on a desert river. Way to go.
    I went back to my Trek Light hammock after trying a WBBB & a Traveler. I just couldn't get comfy in either hammock like I can in my TL.
    KJ

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alejandro 10 View Post
    Shane, or any other qualified individual out there...

What is this calf ridge business all about? Is there a seam that you are referring to?

Thanks,

a
    Calf ridge... When I get into my BB and get diagonal, a ridge of fabric rises up from the foot end gather (whipping) that runs up to my hamstrings. Depending on the hang, the ridge crosses somewhere between my ankles and knees. Tinkering gets rid of most of it but it is always there and always a bit of a pain.

There is no seam on the hammock body. Just a ridge in the body fabric.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast