HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Str1der View Post
    As an SC grad, I must say that there's nothing your friends could have done to deserve that!

JK, I actually pull for Clemson mostly. I want them to win every game...except for one! If it's been as dry there as it has been north of Atlanta, I would carry some extra water bottles.
    Thanks. I am prevailing on a UVA friend to cache some water at the summit for us. Think a Wahoo is reliable?! LOL

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Trip Report over Sassafras Mountain

Well, we did hike over Sassafras Mountain this weekend, to Table Rock State Park, thus completing the Foothills Trail. My college buddy who shuttled our car from Laurel Valley/Hwy 178 to Table Rock State Park for us, also cached two gallons of water near the summit of Sassafras. We only used a gallon of it and left the other gallon at the John Cantrell home site, where we camped Saturday night. It was a great trip and good hike. Certainly, hiking in September weather is a LOT different from the heat and humidity of July. Here is a link to an album with photos, each with a caption, which constitute a trip report of sorts.

Foothills Trail/Sassafras Mountain photo album

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images

Water

Glad you got to finish

Funny thing, Cookie, Hangin' Burrito, and I hiked this section in March. I had cached two gallons of water amongst other goodies at the Sassafras summit too.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Is there anyone that is going Oct. 21,22, and 23. Me and my brother are going then. We are going to hike from Upper White Water falls all the way to Laurel Valley. Is there any tips or advise we could use.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Quote Originally Posted by Apowell View Post
    Is there anyone that is going Oct. 21,22, and 23. Me and my brother are going then. We are going to hike from Upper White Water falls all the way to Laurel Valley. Is there any tips or advise we could use.
    Good Luck!

I was out in that same area the same time as Rain Man was, in fact we passed each other going in opposite directions. Hard for me to recall what the terrain would be like going the direction you stated in your message but going the other way was a BEAST! Summer heat was not too kind to me either but the terrain was pretty brutal. I started at Laurel Valley with good intentions of making it to Bad Creek Access but ended up using one of my lifelines and phoned a friend to pick me up at the Cane Brake Boat Access point. Cut my trip in half but I truly believe I was suffering from heat exhaustion and wanted nothing more to do with hiking the remaining distance.

That section will definitely challenge you.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Apowell View Post
    ... from Upper White Water falls all the way to Laurel Valley. Is there any tips or advise we could use.
    Well, it's steep, rocky, and slow-going from Upper Whitewater Falls following the river down stream.

Hilliard Falls is worth the very short side trip (or certainly was in the heat of the summer).

I think it was Horsepasture River that had a STEEP descent then STEEP ascent on the other side. Fortunately, that didn't go on for too long. We did it in a thunderstorm

Just past the Canebrake Access Area and that long suspension bridge over the Toxaway River, is a wonderful area for official camping, across the cove from Canebrake and just before "Heartbreak Ridge," which did break my heart in the heat of the summer.

Just before Laurel Fork Falls is a short side trip down to the lake, which also was very nice in the heat of the summer. (Are you detecting a theme from my hot July hike?)

We had PLENTY of water sources during our hike, except I don't recall much as we got close to Laurel Valley/Hwy 178, so beware you have enough to finish up.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Equinox 10 X 12
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season UQ
    Water sources in the Sassafras area are spread a bit thin. I'll never forget the pleasant surprise when Running Feather produced water and other "adult beverages" in the middle of nowhere. What a treat after the assault on Sassafras.
    "Sometimes only nature felt real, while all human monuments and actions seemed to be the settings and the plots of dreams"

"So many people live in the past or the future and betray the present."

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
    I was out in that same area the same time as Rain Man was, in fact we passed each other going in opposite directions.
    Here's a photo of the lovely couple ... though I feel much more dead than I look at this point! I wore white for the heat. Didn't help.

Rain Man

Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    I would love to do that trail again
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345