Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest or DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings

OK, I have a question...

It seems like most of the people on here use a suspension system that goes from strap to rope but they use toggles at the connection point. Am I missing something? I use straps around the trees and whoppies for rope suspension but I use soft shackles....or nacrobiners....or whatever you call them for the connection point. It just seems to me that the toggles would get lost easily and they would have sharper edges to poke holes in stuff.
    Does one have a better purpose or is there special reasons for using one or the other?
    Like I said, I may be missing out on something...just curious.

Last edited by Snakehandler; 07-10-2011 at 09:17.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Naw....your good. There is no one absolute way to hang these days and the options are many. By the way I have never had a toggle poke or tear as they aren't sharp and are smallish.
    I change my suspension from time to time to mix it up. Part of the fun for me.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Sanding the edge smooth is a quick cure for toggles.
    Drilling a small hole in the end of toggle and lacing a small string thru the hole and tying off the toggle and string helps prevent loosing it.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I assume you can only attach the soft shackle at the end loop of the strap. With a MSH and toggle, you can attach anywhere along the entire length of the strap.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest or DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I assume you can only attach the soft shackle at the end loop of the strap. With a MSH and toggle, you can attach anywhere along the entire length of the strap.
    Yeah, I made the straps about 6' long and put a loop on each end. If the trees are close together I just wrap the strap around the tree 2 times. I made the whoopies a little long for more adjustments. I figured I would rather have the adjustments in the amsteel because it has no stretch factor and the slings always stretch a little. I used tie down straps, just had to cut the buckles off the end and inject a little thread.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    As gmcttr mentioned, a marlin spike hitch and toggle allows you to shorten or lengthen your webbing easily which is handy if there is a small distance from the hammock to the tree and the tree is a smaller diametre. I am not a fan of the MSH anymore. I prefer to use Bloomgorge Elephant Trunks. Yeah they take about 10 seconds longer to set up but it what I like to use.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

I actually had the same as you for about two years, now I use Dutch Biners in place of the Soft Shackles as it got a little difficult and bothersome to deal with the shackles in the freezing mornings!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    +1 on the Dutch biners. I prefer to use biners to attach straps to whoopies. The Dutch is small enough to leave on the strap permanently and pass through the other eye. Plus it just looks cool.

• + New Posts