homemade DL gathered end
    Tarp
    blue poly 9x11
    Insulation
    Pad/SPE, MSS TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Sniveler-style IX UQ

I have been throwing around an idea, and I am to the point where I need outside help. I wasn't sure if this should go in this forum, or DIY. Please move if needed.

I was thinking of making a full-length 3-season IX underquilt, with a slit in the middle, so it can be worn serape style, similar to a JRB sniveler UQ. I have heard that IX wouldn't make good clothing insulation, because it doesn't transmit moisture. I was thinking that the openness of the serape would counterbalance this, allowing the quilt to double as a light jacket regardless.

I was also concerned that the slit would create a cold spot, but I think I can mitigate that in construction. The other option would be to use a supplemental pad there, making this less of an issue.

Any and all thoughts and input are welcome. I'd rather be called an idiot on the intertubes than risk my life in the woods.

Images
    I have IX UQ and TQ. The UQ is awesome. Having a double layer hammock between me and it may be the key, not sure. The TQ surely keeps me warm, but I have condensation issues with is some times. It's almost a true vapor barrier.

From what I know of IX, it will actually float a person in water. So the vapor barrier is probably spot on.

That being said, if my TQ does have a bit of wetness to it, it's only being held by the nylon outter shell, which dries very fast. Usually while I'm fixing breakfast, even when it's still raining out! I wouldn't put IX directly next to my skin. Kinda rough feeling, and it picks up everything - leaves, dirt, so a good shell is a must.

I prefer my IX TQ to down as when down gets wet it takes days to dry out some times. Just knowing what you are dealing with makes it easy to handle.

As for the serape, excellent idea. If you are to make it like the No Sniveler, use some omni tape or what not to close it when not being worn. No issues wtih a cold spot then, and easy to open and use as a serape!

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I am anxious to hear of your outcome. I have both a TQ and an UQ with 2 layers of insultex sandwiched between layers of breathable 1.1 oz ripstop. I really like both, much prefering the lightness and durability of them when I paddle. Bulk is not so much an issue for me.

I have used the top quilt over my hammock in the winter and it makes a great sock. I have also used it as a "snuggie" wrapping it around me. With a little ventilation, it warms without being overly moist. Keep us posted, I think you may be on to something very practical for those of us using IX.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I make my down top quilts in that fashion (as wearable quilts) and I love it. I can leave a down jacket at home.

However, I also made a double layer IX top quilt and opted NOT to go this route for the following reason. My double IX will only take me down to about 50 degrees. So, if the pre-dawn temp is 50, then by the time I roll out of my hammock (not a morning person), I don't need a jacket at all.

But, I don't see why it wouldn't work if you want a light jacket in cooler temps. It should make a very good wind breaker also!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    HHULB Zipper Mod
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11
    Insulation
    JRB nest
    Suspension
    whoopies
    This product comes to mind:
    http://www.idigear.com/allinone.php
    I've actually been working on my own design along these lines for about 6 months, and I'm on my 3rd prototype.
    After some more testing I plan to market my idea, so I can't divulge too many secrets...
    I can say it's a great idea, very versitile, and less bulky to wear than my JRB nest.
    I'll be sure to post my work here on HF. So stay tuned
    "life is a gateway drug" -Jonathan Wyman

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl HB noseeum modified
    Tarp
    WB BMJ, HH hex
    Insulation
    winter incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I have thought of doing this with a poncho liner.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    anyone make one yet.... or do i need to order some IX

i was thinking the same thing a few weeks back ...i LOVE my Stealth ...
    but would love a summer blanket with a head hole for temps above 80F

i might make one ..... Hmmmm
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I thought I caught a fleeting image, several weeks ago, of one the Jacks modeling the transformation / metamorphoses of a sniveler.

Can someone help me to a series of shots or a short video of this creature called a "sniveler" or "no sniveler"?

(I've done due diligence with a search engine and obvious to me, but not the right, search terms.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    If you are just going to wear it around camp, I wouldn't be worried about the breathability. If you are moving, then you would get sweaty and I wouldn't advise that.

You can get Thinsulate, several kinds of Primaloft and more generic synthetic fillers in 60" wide batts. They might work better for something to wear and use for a underquilt too. Feast on this: http://www.seattlefabrics.com/insulations.html and note the stuff that is already quilted to a nylon outer later.

I just got some Insultex to try for bottom insulation and it is amazing stuff. Now I want more-- help meeeeeee

• + New Posts