Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    How was the water getting in? Via the tie out you may just need drip lines. I'd go for something a bit bigger or add flaps to square out one side for a porch mode. I have both tarps but vastly prefer the Hex.

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    Weight matters. Especially for a thru hike. Some may disagree with that. Most won't.

Even if I was going to go with a tarp with the same form factor as the stock Hennessey, I'd still replace the Hennessey tarp. HH doesn't use the lightest fabrics available.

If you want to go the route of a small asym tarp look into the ones from Mountain Laurel Designs or Warbonnet.

If you want a tarp with better coverage, there are lots of options out there for under $150. The very top of my list (keep in mind, this is for under $150, so cuben fiber tarps are pretty much out of the question) would be OES MacCat Deluxe.

Ramblinrev is dead on right in what he says about site selection.

kkilgroe is dead on right when it comes to stringing the tarp up independently of the hammock suspension. I never was able to get that to work to my satisfaction.

JustJeff has nearly everything you really need to know regarding hammock tarps on his website: How Do I Stay Dry in a Hammock?

Another thing you may want to consider is talking to some of the gear makers that are using cuben fiber and pricing what it would cost to make a very minimal cuben tarp. Who knows? Maybe they can do it for $150. That would be the absolute lightest tarp out there. That might not be the way to go for you since you've already stated that the HH tarp sucks. I agree with that completely, and when I was thru hiking went with OES tarp.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Don't jump too soon. Thru hiking the AT puts weight at a premium. The stock tarp is one of the smallest around and it _can_ keep you dry if you pass the learning curve. I agree it is steep. But it might be worth the weight savings to persevere with it. Site selection and pitching prowess are the two premium areas where the learning curve kicks in.
    yep, i hiked with the stock in me and nh no problems.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by conburn View Post
    I have a Hennessy ultralite explorer which I really like. What I don't like is my feet getting wet at three in the morning from a big storm. I think my stock tarp is too small....I'm hiking the Appalachian trail next year and I want some better coverage.....any suggestions on what to move up to? Looking to spend $150 or less....
    So, I guess this actually happened to you? What do you use for under insulation? If you happen to plan on a HH Super Shelter, you pick up a huge additional amount of sideways rain protection. I once had mine set up in the back yard with tornadoes very close by, horrendous storm. Though I had spent some time trying to get a perfect setup, but with tarp tied to HH suspension Prussics. Thing is, I was completely exposed to the winds, the only 2 trees were the 2 I was tied to about 21 feet apart. And totally flat land. I made a run for it out of fear of tornadoes and lightning. Then I was regretting my decision to leave the hammock/tarp out in that storm, worrying the winds would destroy everything. But when I checked afterwards, there was about 1 table spoon of water in the lowest point of the SS undercover, everything else was bone dry. I was amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Dunlap View Post
    Pick up the Griz Beak from 2QZQ, their members of the forum. Here's a link to their web site with it: http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/tarpaccessories.html
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    Thanks Greg for the recommendation, but the Grizz Beaks won't work with the stock asym Hennessy tarp because of the tarp's shape. ZQ
    I agree on the beak. But I thought GrizzlyAdam's video showed this being used with an HH diamond tarp for much improved coverage? No?

One other thing you can do, with or without the HHSS and assuming you add use some sort of drip line: put a small hole in a big garbage bag. Thread your suspension through this hole, and drape the bag over the end of the hammock.

Or if you just want a big ol tarp for hanging out under and inviting guests over, a JRB 11x10 rectangular tarp is a really, really good one. But, it does weigh about 19 oz.

Also, keep in mind that the stock diamond Explorer UL tarp is several inches longer than many popular tarps out there. I think it is 140" long. But for example, the above JRB tarp- is only 132" long. Though you get a lot better side coverage with most of them, you actually give up a bit of narrow coverage- at least from straight down rain- on the ends where the narrowest part of the hammock is. OTOH, the sil-nylon HH Hex ( also and excellent tarp) is 144" long.

The stock tarp will keep you dry in any rain. Pitch it low and tight.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I agree on the beak. But I thought GrizzlyAdam's video showed this being used with an HH diamond tarp for much improved coverage? No?
    Yes, I think he did show it used on the asym...but it only covered one side, and would be a wind shield, but not offer rain/snow protection. ZQ
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    BIAS
    Tarp
    HG cuban
    Insulation
    Baby Orca UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I recently picked up the Warbonnet asym diamond tarp...awesome. I believe it's a bit bigger than the Hennessy model...I got great end coverage w/ it. 7.5 oz, $75.00.
    http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/tarps.php
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

+1 on the MacCat

So....how nice are you? I could have easily stayed dry with my stock tarp on my last AT hike. Since we were expecting quite a bit of rain I brought the MacCat Deluxe instead. When it wasn't a downpour I had the tarp rigged in sort of a "porch mode". While I laid comfortably my other hiking partners huddled under the tarp with me chatting and cooking dinner. Some of the less sociable types hopped around a smoldering fire or stayed trapped in their tents. So....you can stay dry with the stock tarp but sometimes it's really nice to have the extra room.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    So....how nice are you? I could have easily stayed dry with my stock tarp on my last AT hike. Since we were expecting quite a bit of rain I brought the MacCat Deluxe instead. When it wasn't a downpour I had the tarp rigged in sort of a "porch mode". While I laid comfortably my other hiking partners huddled under the tarp with me chatting and cooking dinner. Some of the less sociable types hopped around a smoldering fire or stayed trapped in their tents. So....you can stay dry with the stock tarp but sometimes it's really nice to have the extra room.
    My sentiments exactly. Will the stock tarp keep you dry? Yes. Will you be able to do anything other than lay in your hammock during a storm? No.

Last May it rained on us 2-3 days straight and having my MacCat Deluxe was awesome. I could get out of the hammock and chill under the protection of the tarp. No problems cooking or anything else. Let's see you cook under the stock tarp.

Porch mode is awesome as well. Throw the hiking poles up and stake it down. Rockin' good news!
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Or if your looking for a small tarp that will work grat with the HH look at the OES Standard.... it's bigger then the stock tarp and it's light for a Sil tarp and it's only $95

but like others have said you can survive big storms with a stock tarp once you learn how to use it ... i used a stock tarp for the better part of a year... the first few times sucked... but after that it was not bad
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast