Tarp
    HG Cuben cat cut
    Insulation
    Down TQ,IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Top-entry Bugnet for a Bridge Hammock

Hi folks,
    Long time follower of the forums, but first time posting a new thread, and glad to have a little something to contribute back. My thanks to GrizzlyAdams, rreevestmmk, Hangnout, and Pipsissewa, & everyone else for their posts, inspiration and advice.

I had been looking to make the jump from my old trusty Hennessy to a bridge hammock for a while now. While researching, I came across Hangnout's zipperless bugnet thread, and was intrigued by the ease of getting in and out, but wasn't sure how it might be adapted to a bridge hammock. Then, I came across Pipsissewa's TED Bugnet thread, and that got me thinking. Then I realized that my tarp with the "doors" closed had the same 3D shape as I was looking for, and that a simple tube of net, attached in a rectangle at the hammock edge and pulled flat at the top would form that shape. This was my first sewing project , but I think it came out not too bad:

So basically, my first step was to modify a basic GrizzBridge (thanks Grizz!) by taking off the gathered endcaps and converting it to the same style as in Grizz's instructional videos here and here, including the triangles for the corners. This allowed me to install a zipper, which I wanted so I could remove the bugnet for permethrin treatment, etc.

Next, I cut a rectangle of no-see-um long enough to cover the circumference of the hammock. I made it tall, as I like to be able to sit up comfortably in the hammock, but I probably could have made it shorter and have it still be fine. I did not make curved cuts to match the bridge curves, as I thought it might be an additional hassle, and that it might not make a big difference (which turned out to be the case, phew!). I then made two cord channels in the top for shock cord, and sewed the net to the zipper, and joined the bugnet using a flat-felled seam to make a tube. Edges were bias taped using organza ribbon, as per rreevestmmk's method.

Not sure if those folks making top entry bugnets for gathered-end hammocks have had this problem, but soon noticed that after pulling down on the net to get in and out, the net started to slide toward the middle and bunch up, which made the sides loose. This was an easy fix though, and I added a couple of tie-out loops and a bit of shock cord to maintain tension on the net itself. They have a little more slack than the main shock cords, just enough tension to keep the net taut.

Last, I made a top cap similar to rreevestmmk's here, but open on two sides like Pipsissewa's. Unlike in my first pictures above, I ended up putting the top cap directly on the shock cords, which let everything move with the hammock when it settles. I may hang the ridgeline a little higher and hang my my tarp from it.

Or I might try to figure out how to bury the ridgeline in the whoopie sling suspension.

Any feedback or advice appreciated! Hope to have a field report soon. Thanks everyone!

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Welcome to the forum.
    Great first post.
    There is another thread about the do it yourselfers on this forum.
    It seems you will fit right in; the bug net looks great.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Thank you for the write up and pics. You follow in a line of DIY's who have been very generous with your time in describing what you've done.

Something like: "You don't understand what you've done until you can explain it to someone else." Not really, but thank-you also for acknowledging the work of others you're building on; for them, and so it is easier to go back for the complete background on a couple of decisions you made.

Have you settled on the steps for packing the net and deploying it for minimum time and easiest adjustment?
    Last edited by DemostiX; 07-11-2011 at 14:27.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    that looks great. these style nets have become more and more popular lately. they are very interesting.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Bridge hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben cat cut
    Insulation
    Down TQ,IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Have you settled on the steps for packing the net and deploying it for minimum time and easiest adjustment?
    Good question. I haven't settled on any method yet, just had my first test hang today. Right now I have the shock cords tied out to a couple of prusik loops attached to a ridgeline, which is attached at the trees just above the webbing for the main hammock suspension. As to stowing the net, I can just untie the shock cords and drop it into the hammock before rolling it up. I'm thinking of trimming the shockcords and putting some hooks on the ends to speed that up. I'm all ears for a simpler method though!

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    No experience with separate bug nets, and I wouldn't dare to suggest anyway for your collection of attachments and adjusters

Besides; every setup varies, and some choices you made may turn out to be fine for operation, but not for packing-up and re-deployment. I'd love to hear you've got all problems solved with bug netting, which can, literally, cause hang-ups on bits of hardware, corners, and velcro hooks.
    Look forward to your report on what you settle on -- you may have already shown it --

Thanks again.

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Didn't know how you were gonna get it done for the bridge, looks like you popped it out of the park!

For the droop to the middle (pulling and bunching up on the shock cord), I may need to put a couple small tacks in thee shock cord channel to slow up the travel of the netting.

Great Job!
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Excellent first post, and excellent execution of the top entry bug net.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    To steal a title from one of my favorite '80s shows "That's Incredible" I love the execution of the TED bugnet. you did a great job on this.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Glad that simple shape for the bugnet worked out! Good post.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast