Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SinisterMinister View Post
    Have you tested the tent poles with a clove hitch? The reason I ask is, from my experience with slim tent poles, they're designed to be flexible; to bend and provide support via an arch. The hiking pole support mode is ridged. Using a slim tent pole may not give you the structure you need and will more likely bend and flex awkwardly. There’s more than a few engineers on these forums who can support or refute that assumption.

You may be able to use a larger tent pole and create the large dome arch for your porch, if you can rig a way to keep the pole flexed. Ha…now, I want to try this.
    You may be correct about the flexibility of these poles. I was considering Easton nanolite

http://www.eastonpoles.com/views/tent/nanolite.php

Maybe 13"+16"+13" for 42" length pole. Anyone know if a 42" nanolite pole would be too flimsy or flexible to serve as support for tarp in porch mode?

Two such poles would only be about 5 ounces total.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    have you checked Walmart cheap hiking poles?

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    have you checked Walmart cheap hiking poles?

Yes, thanks, I have a pair but was hoping to find something lighter and smaller.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I have added webbing tabs with grommets, and use shock-corded tent poles (3 sections) with no problems. It's a good system for those that have no need of hiking poles.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    Can you use your bike?

Quote Originally Posted by bwg View Post
    Considered that but want ability to deploy hammock and tarp then ride to store/restaurant/bathhouse with bike.
    I set up my tarps with the ability to take my trekking poles with me to walk around. All it means is the porch is a bit loose until the poles get returned. I also use motorcycle bungie cords to attach the corners so when the poles are removed (or laid down) the porch closes up nicely. Seems to me the bike could work the same way.

Most any sporting goods store will have some sort of replacement tent poles though.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 SL
    Tarp
    DIY MacCat Clone
    Insulation
    NF Hotlum 15* Bag
    Suspension
    Straps/CinchBuckle
    If you were in the DIY mood you could take 3 arrowshafts and 2 tent pole toggles and make a "tent pole" out of the arrowshafts. This would be sturdier than the real tent poles, and you could run a bit of shockcord through the whole unit so they collapse. This with the grommet/webbing fixture on the end that someone mentioned earlier and you'd have a nice set of poles.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I've got a few sets of aluminum tent poles I've salvaged from some old REI half domes. I made a pair with three sections each that comes out to around 5' each. Each end has a tapered tip made to insert into a grommet. I just made a clove hitch with a short loop of p-cord on each one as described earlier to attach to my d-rings. If that doesn't work you could drill a small hole in the tip and attach a short loop of cord and a toggle. This would keep your d-ring from sliding down the poles.

These poles are a little wobbly but fine for nice weather. If the wind kicks up you'll most likely be pulling the poles and snugging up the guy lines anyway.

Hammock
    Wildhorn Outfitters 2
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    Snugpak
    Suspension
    straps
    I hope I don't sound sarcastic here; get on your bike and ride 2 minutes away from the camp area. It's true that most areas are picked clean, but on a bike, we are talking a very short pedal. It's also a good chance to play with the knife and whittle down the ends. Then, leave the sticks for the next camper to burn.
    Fast. Light. Entertaining. Customized. Karmically sound. Everyone wins!

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    Look up "pole mod" in this forum for details of how you can use tent poles from side to side of the tarp via the ridgeline. Without guys, the tarp will be almost horizantal. guy it down to form an arched shape with extra room under the tarp To test, use salvaged poles , or buy cheap Coleman GF pole repair kit from WM to try it out. Not too heavy for bike touring?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Yeti Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PDA View Post
    Look up "pole mod" in this forum for details of how you can use tent poles from side to side of the tarp via the ridgeline. Without guys, the tarp will be almost horizantal. guy it down to form an arched shape with extra room under the tarp To test, use salvaged poles , or buy cheap Coleman GF pole repair kit from WM to try it out. Not too heavy for bike touring?
    I second this approach, with a pole mod, the flexibility of how you pitch the tarp is from low, uniform arch for bad weather to flat (if you want) as a sun shade. If you sinch down one side of the tarp and loosen the other side the porch is created without poles simply by the desire of the pole to remain straight. I use carbon firbe poles. Check out 2QZQ. I will try to get pics of mine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast