Thread: Leg Comfort

Leg Comfort

As you can see I'm brand new here. I'm also brand new to hammocking.

My experience with hammocks is limited to that of some various generic (no brand name, that is) hammocks sold on the road in Mexico.

Overall these are very comfortable, except for one thing: My legs hurt like the dickens. I find myself waking up many times at night to stretch my legs or fold them up for some temporary relief.

The problem, I think, is that my legs just don't have enough space (and horizontality) to move around at night; they're pinned in a narrow confining space.

It seems fairly simple to me to have a hammock design that pulls tension from a point closer to my butt and then has a secondary set of tension wires to hold up a "leg box" that is large and fairly horizontal with the ground.

Question: What kinds of hammock am I looking for? Is this related to "asymmetrical" hammocks?

I had a similar problem with leg soreness when I started out. My solution in a HH was to make sure the foot end of my hammock was at least 8-10 inches above the head end regardless of ground level. I have read many explanations and support for this theory wether in a hammock or selecting tent location.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Another thing that helps some is to use a pillow under your knees to avoid hyperextension but not sure if that's you're problem.

"Asymetric" hammocks like the Hennessy are actually symmetrical hammock bodies with side pullouts that are spaced asymmetrically. Helps make things feel a little more roomy.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    BigMambaJamba w/po
    Insulation
    3s BM & Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by marienbad View Post
    As you can see I'm brand new here. I'm also brand new to hammocking.

My experience with hammocks is limited to that of some various generic (no brand name, that is) hammocks sold on the road in Mexico.

Overall these are very comfortable, except for one thing: My legs hurt like the dickens. I find myself waking up many times at night to stretch my legs or fold them up for some temporary relief.

The problem, I think, is that my legs just don't have enough space (and horizontality) to move around at night; they're pinned in a narrow confining space.

It seems fairly simple to me to have a hammock design that pulls tension from a point closer to my butt and then has a secondary set of tension wires to hold up a "leg box" that is large and fairly horizontal with the ground.

Question: What kinds of hammock am I looking for? Is this related to "asymmetrical" hammocks?
    I believe this is why the Warbonnet Blackbird has a foot box - it allows you to lie diagonally and close to flat.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    You want to be laying on a diagonal, not straight down the middle with your body in a curve like a banana. When your hammock is set up properly, you will be laying almost flat, with your feet maybe just a bit higher. The hammock itself would be higher yet on the foot end.

That is one reason whoopie slings are so popular-- it is easy to tweak your hammock until it is right. Web straps and rings or buckles accomplish the same thing--- you don't have to untie a bunch of knots to make small changes.

Give yourself all the time you need for your first couple setups and play with the rigging. The angle of the lines and the slack in the hammock make all the difference. Once it is right, take notes on the distance between the trees, the height of the tree straps, how far off the ground the center of your hammock is, etc etc.

I was experimenting with a new setup tonight. My first try was so-so. I lowered the both ends about 6", which changed the angle of the lines and slack. Then I raised the foot end about 3" more and it was great. When I got in, I swung my feet to one side and then shifted my shoulders the opposite direction. I felt the fabric wrap around me, supporting my back and calves and I was laying nearly flat.

It isn't all neat and pretty like a catalog shot--- some sides/ends are slack, others more snug; that's how it works.

Derek Hansen's diagrams were priceless to me:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=11700

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=33730

Watch the videos by Shug at http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15516 and try to take notes when you aren't laughing too hard
    Last edited by DaleW; 07-13-2011 at 06:29.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    A different approach to the problem...

I started with an ENO Double Nest. It's a great hammock but at 6-1 I could never seem to get diagonal enough to avoid hyperextending my knees. I would end up sleeping cross legged.
    Than I discovered bridge hammocks.
    I use the Eureka Chrysalis and love it! Jack R Better makes a Bear Mtn bridge hammock that seems to have a pretty loyal following too. They are both bridge hammocks but they are very different designs.
    Have a look. Better yet, try to come to a community hang and check 'em out. You're welcome to try out the Chrysalis if you find yourself in central Florida.
    Good luck!
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard from Florida. This is what I love about HF, ask and ye shall recieve.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

• + New Posts