Hammock
    GT Ultra Lite
    Tarp
    GoLite Poncho Tarp
    Insulation
    Various means
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Is There a Concussion in My Future? (Ridgeline Question)

Hello all, first thread here and a hammock-noobie...If this has already been covered please excuse me, I've searched this forum high and low but couldn't find anything .

Firstly, is it acceptable (see: safe) to use 550 paracord to make an adjustable ridgeline?

If so, could I just tie a Bowline in one end to make a fixed loop, then attach a double Prusik loop to the other end of the ridgeline to make it adjustable?

I would just run out and try this in my backyard, but I had a couple of concussions a few years ago in high school and am not in the market for anymore...So I will put my safety in the hands of strangers on the internet!

Thanks a bunch,
    Tiberius
    Never cease innovating.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Paracord will stretch over time. The ridgeline is not necessarily for safety rather, setting a ridgeline helps to have a consistent hang with the same amount of sag each time regardless of how far apart your trees are. Some people don't use them. Again, it's not really for safety. Some that do use a ridgeline use Zing-It or Lash-It. Small line at 1.75mm and doesn't stretch. Hope that helps.

Wear a helmet.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    Hammeck Breezy PolyD DBL
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    As Syb said, it will stretch but you could definitely use it until you can get something better. If it were to break, you shouldn't fall as long as you have a quality suspension. That being said, if you are really worried about concussions, wear a helmet or put a pillow under your head when you are testing new hammock suspension ideas.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiberiusGracchus View Post
    If so, could I just tie a Bowline in one end to make a fixed loop, then attach a double Prusik loop to the other end of the ridgeline to make it adjustable?
    That is the way I set my ridgeline, by using a temporary line in the manner you described. Once I've settled on a length, then I replace it with permanent line.

As to paracord being appropriate, yes it is plenty strong enough for the application. And yes, it will stretch a bit it you get the ridgeline really taut, but that's probably OK.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard from Florida. The first of many questions.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Hi TG, welcome to the forums and good first post. You can use 550 paracord but it sure isn't going to be optimal. Like the others have said, it stretches. Also, all 550 paracord is not created equally. Some is mil-spec and a bunch is not. Plus lines that stretch store energy and if it should happen to break, it may make for a bad day.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I used back in the day. It'll work for now. Go out and play. Used as a ridgeline for your hammock, if it does break (not likely) you'll just get a wake up call, your hammock is still connected to the trees by the main suspension.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    GT Ultra Lite
    Tarp
    GoLite Poncho Tarp
    Insulation
    Various means
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I appreciate all of the help and greetings guys!

We had just about the most beautiful morning here in NC today and I went out and gave it a try...Set the ridgeline to give the hammock a nice U-shape, got a good diagonal lay going and fell asleep about 10 minutes later...I'd say it worked like a charm...Seems like the paracord will hold for a couple of weeks until I get a ASR from Whoopieslings.com.
    Never cease innovating.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    Speaking of ridgeline stretching... I use 3/8th shock cord for an internal ridgeline. It does change the "hang". But I never have to touch it, no matter how high, how low, how close together or far apart I have to place my straps. If you only have paracord, and it seems to be stretching... double it. Or triple it and braid it. And is your Body fat/hair insulation DIY, or purchased from a vendor?
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

Hammock
    GT Ultra Lite
    Tarp
    GoLite Poncho Tarp
    Insulation
    Various means
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by hippofeet View Post
    Speaking of ridgeline stretching... I use 3/8th shock cord for an internal ridgeline. It does change the "hang". But I never have to touch it, no matter how high, how low, how close together or far apart I have to place my straps. If you only have paracord, and it seems to be stretching... double it. Or triple it and braid it. And is your Body fat/hair insulation DIY, or purchased from a vendor?
    That's a pretty good idea about doubling or tripling the paracord and braiding that...I'll have to try that.

My Body fat/hair insulation is a little bit of both DIY and vender-purchased. The body hair grows naturally on me in gorilla-like density and amounts. The "bulk" of the body fat was bought from McDonalds, Jack in the Box, Wendy's, and the Miller Brewing corporation during college .
    Never cease innovating.

• + New Posts