Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Want to Hammock on the AT with wife

Wife and I are going to do the 95 mile section of the AT from Fontana Lake to the NC/GA border. In mid Sept. I would like to try to hammock as sleeping on rocks and uneven ground is not appealing. Wife is hesitant to sleep alone. Can we do a tandom, or double up under one rain cover?? May sound funny but I'm new to the Hammock world. Always tented it.
    Also what kinds do you recommend. ENO is the only one we have in town

Thanks

I've set two up in a configuration where the head side of both hammocks is using the same tree, but the feet are going to different trees, and it has worked out pretty well. I'd take two tarps, rainy and any unseasonally windy/chilly nights would be quite awful without a tarp to break the weather on the side.

Side note about that section, if I remember correctly, Mt. Albert will be right after you folks pass through Franklin headed south. The view at the weather tower is breathtaking, but when I ascended it (your decent), it was extremely steep and rocky, definitely will be an interesting decent, be careful!

Hammock
    blackbird
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    yeti
    Suspension
    web/cinchbuckle/DC
    Images
    [QUOTE=calcmuzzy;504928]I've set two up in a configuration where the head side of both hammocks is using the same tree, but the feet are going to different trees, and it has worked out pretty well. I'd take two tarps, rainy and any unseasonally windy/chilly nights would be quite awful without a tarp to break the weather on the side.

Agree with cal, bring 2 tarps for the reason stated. I did that section in the fall and I had trouble finding water last year. Maybe someone can chime in about the water conditions for this year. Albert Mtn. is worth the climb, but as I recall, we wanted to rename Big Butt Mtn

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Since you are trying a hammock I would suggest you make them for a first pass. There is a lot of DIY info around. I'm not sure bugs/bug nets would be an issue there in the fall. YMMV

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    If both of you are gonna be in hammocks... Just use 3 trees to tie to. Find one center tree to tie the head end of the hammocks to and use 2 different trees to tie the foot ends to. You will need two tarps. If your main tree, the one both of you are tied to, is a smaller tree, each of you will feel the movements of the other one while in your respective hammocks. Don't use a tree that visablelly bends with the two of you in your hammocks.

TinaLouise

I agree with the 3 tree approach, my buddy that I hike with regularly, and I do this so we have a common, dry area between the hammocks, and we can still conversationalize before bed. If you're cozy sleepers, there are double hammocks out there, but I've never spent much time with someone in one, and I've heard they're not the greatest for sleeping in. I plan on picking up a double just for lazing around with my girlfriend in, but I'm not sure if it would be suitable for spending a night in...

Thanks, unless I DIY are there and good manufacturers you wuold suggest? Something of good quality that won't break the bank, but don't we all want that anyway

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I think the quickest and cheapest would be a Hennessey with a side zip.

What do the rest of you guys think?
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dgm View Post
    Thanks, unless I DIY are there and good manufacturers you wuold suggest? Something of good quality that won't break the bank, but don't we all want that anyway
    Grand Trunk makes some good hammocks with bug netting that won't break the bank. You will have to add your own structural ridgeline (Highly recommended) but other than that they are usable "Out of the box". Although I would suggest changing the suspension that comes with em, as they use a rope as "tree huggers" which will damage the bark of the trees you hang from.

The section you are planning is a very nice section, LOTS of hanging sites along the way & some killer views.

Have fun.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

I agree with Raul, HH Expedition, with the side zip, under $170, gives you a rain fly and bug net, everything you need, structural ridgeline... The stock suspension is a bit bulky but works well until you upgrade. (whoopie slings shaved about 6oz off my hammock set up, and a fair bit of in pack bulk)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast