Concerning water knots

Hi,

My hammock just has carabiners coming off each end. I also got a great deal on a bunch of polypro webbing. So that's basically all I have now. Is it advisable to just go hangout using a water knot at each end of my webbing, wrapping the webbing around the tree, pushing through the loop in the webbing, then clipping onto the other loop via carabiner?

Thanks, I've spent many hours reading through this site

Hammock
    DIY SL 1.9 Black
    Tarp
    OES Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Big Agnes IAC
    Suspension
    Whoopies or cinch
    aslong as you leave knotted tails on the excess from the water knot then yeah youll be cool. But the knot is known to slip under enough load especially on webbing.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by escherize View Post
    Hi,

My hammock just has carabiners coming off each end. I also got a great deal on a bunch of polypro webbing. So that's basically all I have now. Is it advisable to just go hangout using a water knot at each end of my webbing, wrapping the webbing around the tree, pushing through the loop in the webbing, then clipping onto the other loop via carabiner?

Thanks, I've spent many hours reading through this site
    Doesn't sound to me like you leave yourself many options with respect to length of strap from tree to hammock---your only adjustability is number of times you wrap around a tree.

If your webbing is 1" wide then adding a cinch buckle or pair of descending rings will give you options. I've got a video on webbing options, if you've not seen it...
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    If you have carabiners on the ends of your hammock you can do as you mentioned - take the webbing around the tree and pass the working end through the eye in the webbing.

Now, take the working end of the webbing and use the method outlined at 2:00 of this video. Use your carabiner in place of the ring in the video and you have all the adjustability you need.

There are many ways to mod your current setup and get off the ground, this is but one.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    Now, take the working end of the webbing and use the method outlined at 2:00 of this video. Use your carabiner in place of the ring in the video and you have all the adjustability you need.
    Ray Mears! Quality stuff. I recognized that knot he did...I've been using that same one with Amsteel on rings for over a year. Didn't see it anywhere, just thought that a slippery half-hitch with the bight locked down on another might work, and it does.

Don't use straps much myself so never considered its application there. Delighted to see that it works, according to Mears.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY SL 1.9 Black
    Tarp
    OES Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Big Agnes IAC
    Suspension
    Whoopies or cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    If you have carabiners on the ends of your hammock you can do as you mentioned - take the webbing around the tree and pass the working end through the eye in the webbing.

There are many ways to mod your current setup and get off the ground, this is but one.
    to Tendertoe: nice video! I never knew Ray Mears was so into hammock hanging. Very cool videos and very informative.

to Escherize: another method using the carabiner is using the Marlin Spike Hitch on the tree hugger with the carabiner taking the place of the toggle. Ive used this method before and its never failed on me. 1 of a million ways to hang your hammock! you should experiment with the setups. Its a lot of fun just seeing the different ways you can hang that sucker.

JPsax - Could you expand on your description of using a carabiner as toggle in a marlin spike hitch? My understanding is that the toggle isn't supposed to bear much of the weight with one of those knots. Maybe a picture of the whole suspension setup?

As for the webbing + carabiner on both ends setup, I came across the same Ray Mears video clip from a link somewhere on the forum yesterday and tried it out. Worked fantastic!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Ray Mears! Quality stuff. I recognized that knot he did...I've been using that same one with Amsteel on rings for over a year. Didn't see it anywhere, just thought that a slippery half-hitch with the bight locked down on another might work, and it does.

Don't use straps much myself so never considered its application there. Delighted to see that it works, according to Mears.
    Yes, I love it due to only necessitating 1 descender ring per side compared to 2 - chopped the weight of the rings in half . Now all I need to know is the name of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreywat View Post
    JPsax - Could you expand on your description of using a carabiner as toggle in a marlin spike hitch? My understanding is that the toggle isn't supposed to bear much of the weight with one of those knots. Maybe a picture of the whole suspension setup?
    The reason that a toggle should not bear much weight has to do with the integrity of the toggle, not the general nature of the MSH.

See below first, but the idea would be that you take the working end of the webbing and tie a MSH in it and put a climbing rated carabiner in and clip your hammock to it via a continuous loop or something of the sort. Works great and the carabiner is rated to take the stress.

Quote Originally Posted by JPsax View Post
    to Escherize: another method using the carabiner is using the Marlin Spike Hitch on the tree hugger with the carabiner taking the place of the toggle. Ive used this method before and its never failed on me. 1 of a million ways to hang your hammock! you should experiment with the setups. Its a lot of fun just seeing the different ways you can hang that sucker.
    Be careful with the MSH method. I used it for 2 seasons with no issues. However, members of the forum convinced me to back it up with a slippery half hitch behind it to prevent slippage due to the inconsistent nature of webbing and the possibility of the webbing slipping out of the hitch. I still use it if the trees are too far for my suspension, just put a slippery half hitch behind it. YMMV
    Last edited by Tendertoe; 07-14-2011 at 16:45.

Wow thanks so much, you guys are great. I'm going to be spending a week or so between leases while I'm here at college, and I'll be camping out in random spots while most of my stuff is in storage.

That webbing knot looks like exactly what I needed. Thanks so much!

• + New Posts