Hammock
    WBBB

Toroweap/Tuweep Area

Anyone on here been to the Toroweap/Tuweep area of the Grand Canyon NP?

Is it possible to find a spot to hang from a hammock there?

How are the current conditions in the area and how's the road currently?

I've got to go out to Las Vegas from my company's Nat'l Sales Meeting in early August and I'm heading out a few days early. My plan is to rent a SUV (Ford Escape) and drive out to the Grand Canyon NP to do some photography for a few days before my meeting starts. I really would like to go to this area but I'm a little concerned about the drive out to Toroweap/Tuweep. I've read up on what to expect and I'm a little hesitant to go through with this idea. I'm not worried about the lack of facilities and I'll pack in what I need for just an overnight. What really concerns me is the road and the likelihood of getting a few flat tires. One I could deal with but I would rather not have any. Plus with a rental I can not be certain that I will have a full size spare.

Any help or input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

PS: I know it will be hot so I expect that. Just understand that I live in the midlands of SC where today the heat index will be upwards of 110. When it is hot here it's HOT plus the humidity makes it feel like a wet oven.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    i looked at the few and far between photos of the area on top of the rim, and along the tuckup and lava falls trails - not much for trees, brother. however, a luggage rack makes a fine hangin spot if all you have is one tree.
    careful out there, long long way from anything.
    a couple of pics like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/12150532@N04/2449894301/ show trees. nothing however like the huge forests you'll find along the Widforss trail, et al.
    Last edited by te-wa; 07-12-2011 at 12:18.

Hammock
    WBBB
    I guess I should have mentioned that I have been looking at photos of the area and observed the same as you te-wa. Honestly I figure if I can get to one tree with the car(suv) close enough I had already planned on using the car(suv) as the "other" tree

I'm not so much worried about hanging as I am the road conditions and 61 mile secondary road drive to get to the area

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    looking for anything relevant on 'hike arizona' did not give any results. there isnt even a hike description for either of the trails. issue is, i dont know exaclty where these photos are taken.
    what i have heard of the area is that it becomes impassable after rains. being 'monsoon' season, you'll have to time it right. have fun! and share photos?

Hammock
    WBBB
    I ended up chatting with a fella that has been there from AZ. I've decided against going to the area this trip due to several factors. Mainly with the short time I will have to work with I can't risk having to deal with a situation that might have me stuck out there for days

There will be some other time I'm sure

• + New Posts