Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question I need some advice. Any help would be great!

I have an NX-250 and I just sold my Marmot 0 degree sleeping bag for one of the new Marmot plasma bags its a 15 degree bag. I get cold really really easy sleeping. I'm headed to Colorado this September and I'm afraid I could get cold camping at 10,500 ft. Just wondering what is the best insurance for keeping warm in a Clark and what is the most light weight? I hate to upgrade sleeping bags and save a pound of weight then turn around and have to buy more gear to stay warm. Anyway I know you guys/gals know much more about these than a rookie like me. So any advice would be great, the under quilts look awesome but not sure how well they work on Clarks due to the under pockets. Thanks for any help.. Casey

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    hmmm I think even with the 15 degree bag you might get a little chilly that high. you could have a fleece liner from jacksrbetter that would extend your bag and only cost you about 29 dollars. as far as bottom insulation id stuff the bottom pockets with your extra clothes,socks,gloves,etc. Id also invest in a walmart ccf pad. I havent done alot of under freezing hanging because of I live in SC but im sure some colorado guys will chime in
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

I actually have two different pads I used when tent camping but the hammock doesn't feel as comfy using these. one is a air pad the other just the old black and gray foam pads. I'm really working towards saving weight but it seems like I have to keep adding to stay warm etc. Saving weight is important but keeping warm is higher on the scale for me..

And I will check out the fleece liner. thanks

Images
    I thought Clark's have pockets to store items (extra clothing) to provide additional insulation. Another light weight option is a silk liner.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Where abouts in Colorado are you going to be hiking? September is one of those 'iffy' months and it's best to be prepared. My guess is the temps will be in the high teens to high twenties at night in September at that altitude, but it would only be a guess. I would be prepared for single digits as a just-in-case.You say you get cold easy, but give us a temp range that your 15° bag will get you to.

The pads may give you the boost you need. Remember one really good detail about Colorado; no to very little humidity. Generally speaking, the temps will feel about 10-15° warmer than the actual temp. Bring a space blanket and a pad as emergency gear and I think you'll be fine.
    Trust nobody!

I will be in the South San Juan wilderness area around Platoro, Del Nort etc. Should be camping around the 10,00+ Ft mark. Yeah the weather is crazy this time of year would expect nights on average of 30 deg were going early september. But could drop down to 18 or so..

What are you guys thoughts on the z-liner? worth it or would you choose an UQ ?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Cats meow, snugfit
    Suspension
    Webbing and biners
    I frequently use my NX 250 in cold weather. I can easily be comfy in 20 degree weather with a Snugfit under me and my Cats meow just laying on top of me. I dont really use the pockets that much but they are handy for an extra shirt or socks.

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    One 0-weight "force multiplier" you can use is the heated nalgene bottle trick. Start out the night with a little campfire warmed water in the nalgene, slip it between the thighs at the femoral artery, and it will make you down right toasty.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    I find the pockets keep the chilly wind/breeze from me . . .

The Z-liner takes me to a cool to coldish night . . .

and my 3" thick DIY "quilt stuffing" pillows that fill the pockets do the trick when combining them with the Z-L.

The quilting material all-be-it not as good as down . . .
    . . . compresses a lot . . . re-lofts . . . and adds the amount of minus temps that I need.

Hope that helps . . . no specifics as we all sleep to different temps.

Also except for hot night time temps I always use one of my three S/bags,
    if not inside, on top of, just so it is there.
    Fall and spring around here can bring weather changes through the night that are somewhat unpredictable.
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast