WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Let's leave our opinions of gubmint and taxes aside (we'll just have to leave that topic for another Forum, of which there are many on the internets), and get back on the topic of helping the OP find cool places to go nearby.

Thanks.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    So Highstrung,
    Where did you move to Memphis from? I figure Memphis is not that much worse than most of the rest of the Eastern USA for ready access to hiking trails that are at least somewhat wild in nature. It's just a matter of finding out what is closest by that is also decent. The Ozarks a few hours west of you, the Smokies and such ( Fall Creek Falls) a few hours east of you, Red River Gorge to the north and Sipsey about 3 hours south of you. Plus various smaller, less known state parks. Other than that, unless you are lucky enough to live real close to some section of the Appalachian Trail, big sections of public land/wilderness are not, in my experience, easy to come by in the east.

If you moved from a western US city/town, all of which are normally an hour or two ( or 15 mins) from vast expanses of public land that is often defacto wilderness, and you are looking for something similar, I'm afraid you are out of luck. I have felt that frustration myself many times over the years. It is just not the same. There is very little public land in the east compared to the west, where 65-90% of any state is some form of public land, though some of that is Indian reservation. Any way, out there, in every state, are vast tracts of wilderness. In the east, not so much. Even the AT, though a couple of thousand miles I guess, is really a pretty narrow stretch.

Actually, when it comes to ready access to places suitable for backpacking and getting away from lots of folks, I can think of lots of places in the eastern US that would rate a good bit worse than Memphis, though it would for sure not be at the top of my list either. After all, you are in the middle of a pretty big eastern city, about 90 miles NE of me. I can't think of many other similar cities where you won't have to drive a bit to find large tracts of public land suitable for adventure. No matter how much woods and relatively empty country might be near you, you still have to escape all the privately owned land.

Like AS said, Big Hill Pond SP is not terribly far from you and I bet you can find some solitude on those trails if that is what you seek. It is a bit further to the Sipsey, but what's 3 hours on a long weekend? What about some Memphis hiking/outdoors clubs? I bet there are some. If so, they could give you some good tips.

There is a lot of surprisingly good stuff to be found in the east. But if you moved from out west, Memphis ain't ever going to be Denver or SLC, Phoenix/Flagstaff or Seattle, when it comes to close by wilderness, not to mention close by spectacular country.

Good luck on your search.

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    i am not familiar with the memphis area, but here in the low country of south carolina there are very few places where it is pleasurable to hike, any mountains are 5-6 hours drive, so i spend a lot of time canoe camping, which gets me to lots of remote and beautifull places, maybe this would be an option in your area, also clubs like the sierra club ,nature coservancy, audobon society etc , often have outings that you can use to learn new places and meet like minded individuals.
    good luck

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    OES MC D
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for all the suggestions. So, great news...We've just started a new schedule where we work 4 days on 4 days off alternating shifts. This'll open up a much bigger area for trips and allow me to get out WAY more!

You guys are right though. I'm actually in better shape for some good hiking than many. I think I may be spoiled from my time in the Navy hiking in different parts of the world. Now, I'm out and things have slowed down a lot. There's a lot to be said for that too. It's nice to relax a little. Also, I'm still learning the area. Some of the places you've mentioned I didn't know where nearby. Billybob laid it out pretty well....I don't have much to complain about.

And to Jerry, how can I be mad at you? You came up with the Jerry chair! You're practically a legend!

PS Really glad I posted this thread though. Looks like I might be able to meet some hammockers here in Memphis!
    You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. -- Al Capone

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Also start planning now and hopefully you'll be able to swing a visit to the big ditch (Linville Gorge, NC) next spring.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Highstrung, OLd Gringo, myself and others are getting together for a hang @ Mt Magazine state park in Ar. Its about 200 miles west of you and weather should be cooler on top. Check out the Mt Magazine camp in this thread. We;ll be there on FRiday through Sat leave sunday. Anyway bring ur bride and hammocks, hope you can make it, jim

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Big Mamba
    Insulation
    StormCrow UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I go here a lot:
    http://www.tennessee.gov/environment/parks/NBForrest/

Its only about 20 min from me, about 2 hours from you.
    Let me know if need a guide this fall.
    Too hot & humid right now for an overnight.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    I grew up in Memphis. Then I joined the Marines in 1975 and only came back to visit .
    Growing up, I did the majority of my camping at Shelby Forest State park.
    Sounds like you should find something to do there.

http://tn.gov/environment/parks/MeemanShelby/

Bordering on the mighty Mississippi River, two-thirds of this 13,467-acre park are bottomland hardwood forests of large oak, cypress and tupelo. The park also contains two lakes and many miles of hiking trails. The Meeman Museum and Nature Center is named for Edward J. Meeman, courageous conservation editor of Scripps-Howard newspapers who helped establish this park and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The park maintains a boat ramp on the Mississippi River. Deer, turkey, beaver and some 200 species of birds are abundant.

Hiking
    Trails open year round

More than 20 miles of hiking trails meander throughout the park. Some are located in the Mississippi River bottoms and are off limits during managed hunts. Bicycle trail accessible to persons with a disability

Hammock
    BIAS camper, WW DL
    Insulation
    Diy syn. UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I see this thread is a little old but I just now ran across it. Welcome to West TN. I'm brand new to the hammock thing. A friend and I do several kayak camping trips a year. I'm born and breed up here in Tipton county and as far as I know there is nothing extravagant real close. There are a few Parks around that have hiking trails (Fort Pillow and Shelby) I have recently stayed at Chickasaw over in Henderson (20 miles south of Jackson Tn) on Hwy 100 while working. It is a beautiful park for family camping and there is over 14,000 acres of forestry that adjoins the park and they do allow backpacking on at least some of it. If you've found any other close places to go I'd like to know. I've been wanting to get into hiking, and Lord knows I could stand to lose a few pounds.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY CSUQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Bumping this old thread. Moving to Memphis next month for work. Hoping to find some hammockers in the area. Are any of the posters in here still active on the forums?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12