Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images
    Patrick,

Glad to see you're getting the temps down. I'm interested to hear more about your hitches to keep things set. I've not had any trouble with the adjustment line slipping myself. The only concerns I've heard have been from a person or two making their own. What I've been recommending lately is, once you have it set, to tie a small stopper knot behind the cordlock to help hold it. This should give you more than enough grip and the cordlocks are big enough that you can still easily move the cord with the lock open. You can also have three or four of these for multiple conditions.

I hear you about the claustrophobia thing. In August, I was camping on an island in the rain and woke up from some crazy nightmare I don't remember. Whatever it was, I got the claustrophobia bad, which has never happened to me before. I had to get out immediately. After standing in the rain a while, I thought I was calmed down and got back in, but it happened again. I thought I was going to have to sit on the beach soaked all night, but finally managed to go to sleep.

I was out last month for the first time since then and was a little worried about it happening again. It started to a little bit, but I cracked a book and it went away immediately.

It has given me the impetus to finally make my own Speer-type hammock, though. I never liked being closed in a tent. The Hennessy is better, but it's still not as nice and open and "outside" as much as tarp camping was. I'm hoping the new hammock will be even better.

Anyway, glad to see everything is working out. I remember you first talking about it and being amazed by the amount of clothing you were wearing to bed

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Hi Patrick!

The hitches I'm referring to are the same thing you recommend, just a small stopper knot. I haven't tried moving the cordlock over one yet. That's a great idea to have different settings for multiple conditions. You learn something new every day!

Claustrophobia seems to be abating now that I'm wearing fewer layers. At one point I had way too many layers on and then the sleeping bag, and had rigged so that my head was much lower than my feet... GAH! I FLEW out of there from a deep sleep and had to go walk around to calm down. I still wake up now and think about it a bit, but have at least been able to get back to sleep. I think tarp tensioners would help me with that as well. I'm getting quite a bit of "tarp wilt" closing my tarp in on me at night...

Things are MUCH much better though. I'm looking at the weather and the schedule for the next few weekends to see if I can get back out there soon.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i like hanging my tarp a lot higher than most folks... unless there's lots of wind.
    and i like a narrow hammock (48-50") so i can enjoy the view.
    line tensioners might help w/ the "wilting tarp".
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    i like hanging my tarp a lot higher than most folks... unless there's lots of wind.
    and i like a narrow hammock (48-50") so i can enjoy the view.
    line tensioners might help w/ the "wilting tarp".
    Hi slowhike!

My backyard gets a fair bit of wind, and we're up on a hill -- but down in a valley, so it gets just a few degrees colder than forecast at 4-6am. I've been trying to set the tarp very low for a few degrees extra warmth. I'd like to order the Jacks R Better self tensioning lines as soon as I recover from the holidays.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12