Images

ridgeline placement concern.

I've been tinkering with my gathered end hammock trying to get the best lay and discovered flipping it upside down made a significant difference in reducing some excessive tightness down the middle of the hammock. The problem is that this changes how my ridgeline attaches and I want to double check that its OK.

Before the gathered end knots kind of pointed up towards the support trees and the ridge line looped around the gather knot and pulled on the hammock.

Now that its flipped over the ridge line (lash it) is looped around the suspension lines right where they go into the knot at each end of the hammock. I know this stuff is pretty slick but is there any concern of rubbing like this?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Can you remove the RL and re-hook it?
    Or the suspension.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Warbird
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    15* down bag & pad
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I guess I'm not totally clear on your situation, i.e. types of cordage being used, suspension attachment method, etc., but maybe this will help. In the past with my DIY gathered-end hammocks, I've simply attached my amsteel whoopies to my hammock via a lark's head behind the whipping. Then, to attach my 1.9 mm dyneema ridgeline, I just slipped each fixed eye of the RL over the amsteel whoopies. Basically, the RL was attached directly to the whoopie sling, and I never experienced any excessive wear. I believe there are others out there who use this method, so maybe they can chime in with their experiences. I've since re-whipped the hammocks with the RLs running through the whipping, more so to make room for a bugnet than to prevent RL/suspension interaction.

--Tim

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Hi Ganon...do you have some close up pictures of how to do the RL? I'm on this task myself of just learning to add a RL. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ganon414 View Post
    I guess I'm not totally clear on your situation, i.e. types of cordage being used, suspension attachment method, etc., but maybe this will help. In the past with my DIY gathered-end hammocks, I've simply attached my amsteel whoopies to my hammock via a lark's head behind the whipping. Then, to attach my 1.9 mm dyneema ridgeline, I just slipped each fixed eye of the RL over the amsteel whoopies. Basically, the RL was attached directly to the whoopie sling, and I never experienced any excessive wear. I believe there are others out there who use this method, so maybe they can chime in with their experiences. I've since re-whipped the hammocks with the RLs running through the whipping, more so to make room for a bugnet than to prevent RL/suspension interaction.

--Tim

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Lash it is probably okay for a ridgeline if you don't stretch your hammock tight between trees 20 feet apart, and rubbing shouldn't be a problem if the lines don't move. Dynaglide might be a bit safer, though. It sounds as if what's happening is that you are effectively changing the length of the ridgeline when you flip your hammock. Why not make an adjustable ridgeline with a whoopie sling at one end? It will let you fine tune the feel of the hammock.

• + New Posts